N-Europe

Xbox Live More Important than Wii...Says Molyneux

Falcon_BlizZACK

The only thing you pay for with Xbox Live is to be able to play against other players with Live.

Everything else is free

In that case, 40 quid for playing online only seems a bit harsh. If the whole package came for that it'd make more sense.

But heh, if the rest is free then all the better I suppose.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't be bothered to break down most of this thread, but I'd just like to quickly point out that this is not what Molyneux is saying. He already previously stated that he loves the Wiimote, it's revolutionary, it changes the way we play. But he also said that to him, XBL will have a more important effect in future. You're arguing against nothing, here.

As a good friend once said (in a voice slowed for dramatic effect): R-E-A-D-I-N-G C-O-M-P-R-E-H-E-N-S-I-O-N

Most of us see it as a cheap change of sides/opinions/views; he stated he liked the wiimote a long time ago and before working with Microsoft, he didn't re-estate that here (on the contrary, since he devalued it), he said something like "who needs Wiimote, I have Xbox Live who is more impactful" and for me... it really isn't; neither it is for the masses in the sense that the effect Wiimote had on the pop culture is impossible to ignore; and even if people say "no I don't see next gen with this controller as a standard" I see lots of market for inovation coming because of the fact it was successful, even if they invent a better method and make it standard, the reason they implemented it and hell, perhaps even the reason why they invested in it... it's because Wiimote; it's a door it opened. If not, I bet next gen would still be dual analog+rumble; and I don't think it will/should.

Then again... like you said, it's reading comprehension and I think it goes both ways. I already commented on this issue and I'm not changing my mind, I read it like I did and took the conclusions I did.

I can't be bothered to break down most of this thread, but I'd just like to quickly point out that this is not what Molyneux is saying. He already previously stated that he loves the Wiimote, it's revolutionary, it changes the way we play. But he also said that to him, XBL will have a more important effect in future. You're arguing against nothing, here.

Last time I checked, something that is revolutionary is something that has a big/important effect on the future...

In a way Live is this. Like I said earlier it has set the benchmark for the online side of gaming and I cant see anyone coming close to it in a long while.

In a way. It has done things that Sattellaview did for the SNES and things 64DD did in Japan and was supposed to do. It also did what the PC already did years ago. What they really accomplished and hats off to them, is bringing it to the "masses". However, console online-gaming won't really take off unless it's free.

Is this guy high or something?

I wouldn't call Live innovative, it's an online service, yeah you get some cool shit through it and you get to do some cooler shit over it, but it's not as innovative as the Wii controller.

Though like some of you said it's made an impact, which definitely stands for something.

In a way. It has done things that Sattellaview did for the SNES and things 64DD did in Japan and was supposed to do. It also did what the PC already did years ago. What they really accomplished and hats off to them, is bringing it to the "masses". However, console online-gaming won't really take off unless it's free.

Your right in that they did bring it to the masses but the figures for Live are very impressive especially considering you have to pay. To be fair though I mean whats £30-40 a year for an outstanding service? Its really neither here nor there.

I hate being without Live when im on my 360. Even when I dont play on Live I like to see what my mates are playing on and I enjoy banter while I playing a single player game using the headset or even by send them a message.

I don't see it being free for a long time coming, but XBL makes subscription easier and a years subscription for 30-40 pounds is a bargain. The service is tight with a lot more content than the Wii's free service could ever hope to match. Kudos where its due, can't really slate Live for not being free.

I mean, if you're willing to pay for Wii Points solely to buy older games, then a 40 pound subscription for a year is nothing.

I don't see it being free for a long time coming, but XBL makes subscription easier and a years subscription for 30-40 pounds is a bargain. The service is tight with a lot more content than the Wii's free service could ever hope to match. Kudos where its due, can't really slate Live for not being free.

Agreed.

Saying that though Im quite happy with Nintendo sticking to what they do best and thats keeping their single player games strong and solid while keeping their local multiplayer games fun as hell.

The thing is with Nintendo they have always been very secretive about their own games so giving us demos would be a total change of character for them. Then again they could do what XBL does at E3, give us videos of the games there and demos that the others are playing at the actual event.

At an E3 they said we could download Wii and DS demos (Where's out monthly DS demos Nintendo) so it felt like we would had 'E3 in the comfort of your own home'.

Demos would really push software sales,if I got to play DS demos i'd be more likely to buy DS games.Same with Wii cause there's games i'm unsure about and would rather test them first.

I mean, if you're willing to pay for Wii Points solely to buy older games, then a 40 pound subscription for a year is nothing.

Yeah I agree, it's not much, it's probably worth the money. But it's still a subcription, not a one time thing, it's very different. Subscribing to something is a serious choice and one that can't be taken that lightly.

And,as you say the Wii service is FREE so you can't really expect the same content as you get from Microsoft, which is the biggest company in the world and has years and years of experience with online. And remember, very few people (percentually) used live in the first X-Xbox, so they didn't succeed right at the beggining.

I agree that X-Box Live is a benchmark though, but even when I get a 360 I know I probably won't be able to afford paying Live and lots of people are the same way. I don't think that it'll be a long time until such services are free.

He's right, though, and he makes great games. I enjoy waving my shit around cleaning up for Mrs. Weasley as much as the next muggle, but digital delivery is going to be the backbone of our industry pretty soon.

One good game.

Yes, digital delivery will be the future but Sega and Nintendo did it earlier, and Sony have a few full retail games that can be delivered digitally, so in that respect Sony have done it better. They just don't have quite as much content yet.

I'd say more than one, but I'm including games like Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper from his Bullfrog days. Populous was supposed to be good too, but I never played that.

Inspite of what many might say I like Black & White too. Fable is my favourite though. :)

Agreed.

Saying that though Im quite happy with Nintendo sticking to what they do best and thats keeping their single player games strong and solid while keeping their local multiplayer games fun as hell.

Interesting you said that, because I love single player quests, I've never really got into online gaming, besides the original C&C (which I was ranked in the top 20 at woooo lol). I think the focus toward online gaming may actually alienate the casual pcik up and play gamer.

Interesting you said that, because I love single player quests, I've never really got into online gaming, besides the original C&C (which I was ranked in the top 20 at woooo lol). I think the focus toward online gaming may actually alienate the casual pcik up and play gamer.

I agree that online gaming is a hardcore gamers thing. I mean the amount of abuse hurled at you on Live when you beat someone is just stupid, its so competitive. I never really have time for online gaming much as I have so many games that I want to get through. The lads on here always play Gears of War or Rainbow Six but I very rarely join in. IMO you cant beat a great single player game that totally takes over your life :)

*points at various Zelda, Mario and Metroid games*

I agree that online gaming is a hardcore gamers thing. I mean the amount of abuse hurled at you on Live when you beat someone is just stupid, its so competitive. I never really have time for online gaming much as I have so many games that I want to get through. The lads on here always play Gears of War or Rainbow Six but I very rarely join in. IMO you cant beat a great single player game that totally takes over your life :)

*points at various Zelda, Mario and Metroid games*

Plus, online pales massively in comparison to local multiplayer.

Umm, well obviously. I'm just saying that given one is a virtual service, not exactly a physical product, it doesn't necessary have to incur a cost (given DS and PS3 online don't).

Bearing in mind the online service for both the Wii and DS is essentially non-existant. I would much rather pay for a good service than get a bad, free one.

These days it comes free with some TV packages (and the TV packages are no more expensive than they used to be without the internet).

Yeah, 'free'.

If you've got a microphone and talkative team-mates its great. Sure, it's not as good as local multiplayer. But in a sense, it's cheaper. You only need one controller. You can do it whenever yo uwant without having to have friends round. No split-screen.

If you've got a microphone and talkative team-mates its great. Sure, it's not as good as local multiplayer. But in a sense, it's cheaper. You only need one controller. You can do it whenever yo uwant without having to have friends round. No split-screen.

Bearing in mind the online service for both the Wii and DS is essentially non-existant. I would much rather pay for a good service than get a bad, free one.

I am and always was of the opinion that Nintendo's online can't be compared with MS, but that isn't exactly a valid argument, since what online gaming really is for is to play online and you have to pay to play online with 360 and not with

DS/Wii. Sure, you don't get trailers, demos and whatnot, and the friendcode system is a hassle, but at least, you can play online when you want without having to fork out any extra money.