N-Europe

N64 analog stick

Mikey

The problem pads are actually only from the earlier part of the N64's life-cycle, as Nintendo introduced a newer model to address the issue. While not greatly publicized, and visually identical, the redesigned pads eliminated the premature wear-and-tear problem with the analogue sticks. The analog stick + handle design was later used for the Wii's Nunchuck controller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64

Any one knows if this is true or not? I have an N64 pad in awesome condition which I bought in late 2004, how will I know if I have the new version or the old one? :s

Calm down kids.

I wouldn't worry about wearing it down, that takes years of extreme play, and if you find out you do have an old controller... just head off to ebay and replace it when it's worn out.

The N64 controller was one of my favourites, I don't know why people hate it so much.

Calm down kids.

I wouldn't worry about wearing it down, that takes years of extreme play, and if you find out you do have an old controller... just head off to ebay and replace it when it's worn out.

The N64 controller was one of my favourites, I don't know why people hate it so much.

The plastic analogue stick.

I dont think their is a way of visualy telling if you have a new version or old version analogue stick.

If memory serves correct it wasnt a major problem, if i remember right after a lot of use the analogue stick produced something that looked like white powder around the analogue stick. The white powder being VERY fine plastic fibres that have come off the analogue stick during gameplay.

I got 2 pads with my N64 when it launched and i had the above problem, if you can cause it a problem, it never hampered any gameplay and the white powder itself could be wiped away.

So in short, i wouldnt let it bother you, just carry on playing on your N64.

Don't let it bother you; although the N64 pad is one of the worst Nintendo have ever made, the analog stick wasn't the main downside for me. The shape was, however.

I think it was better than anything before it, as it wasn't all 2D and uncomfortable (if you knew how to hold it properly). Only trumped by the gamecube and PS1/2/3 pads.

I think it was better than anything before it, as it wasn't all 2D and uncomfortable (if you knew how to hold it properly). Only trumped by the gamecube and PS1/2/3 pads.

The playstation pads are the worst pads ever FACT.

I cant play on one for to long with out getting huge cramps in my hands.

Same soag.

PS1 pad = Flimsy and shit.

Dual Shock 1 = Oh my god analog stick placement!

Dual Shock 2 = Oh christ, please move the damn analog stick!

SIXAXIS = So light it feels like the slightest movement will break the thing and for fucks sake, put the left analog in the right place!

When the hell will Sony redesign their freaking pad? Are they THAT lazy?

When the hell will Sony redesign their freaking pad? Are they THAT lazy?

No. When they tried they managed to make a pad that looked a million times worse, so they stuck with what they knew.

The classic controller is better than the Dualshock1/2/THREEaxis for 3D games as I can use it without it hurting my hands after a short while.