N-Europe

Ubisoft does it again...

pedrocasilva

Ubisoft, known for its realistic military games, on Wednesday announced a new title in its "Games for Everyone" range. "Cranium Kabookii", based on the award-winning board game Cranium, will be made for Nintendo's Wii console and is slated for a December release.

Guillemot said the company's casual games business was "extremely profitable" and helped to finance the initially costly development of games for next-generation consoles -- Sony's PlayStation3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSL2287657620070822

Nothing that we didn't already know, but this is rubbing it in our faces... I'm not buying their games this generation; full stop.

In short all the profits they make on Wii games, they take the money and invest in the HD ones this explains how all games look so shitty, for instance like Brothers in Arms, instead of using that money to develop better games. (despite having asked for forgiveness in the past).

I was still giving the benefit of the doubt for Raving Rabbids and Red Steel 2, but now and with coments like this... like hell I am; I'm boycotting them, for good.

I haven't seen this yet on English forums, so anyone here who goes on to other forums and such, please feel free to copy/paste this into oblivion.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh you! no i mean they profit greatly from casual games and invest that money in 'other things'

Yes but those other things seem to be games like SMG, SSBB, MP3, MKwii etc. Not games for someone elses console.

Ubisoft are treating the wii like a quicm buck so they can go and make proper games for other consoles. It sucks.

I will not be buying anything from Ubisoft. They are total wankers. Giving 360 and PS3 games like GRAW and we get shite like this, then rubbing our noses in it by saying the money they make off Wii games goes to developing better games for other platforms.

Ubisoft, I hope that EA buy you, beak you up and sell you off for scrap, you are scum. I was initially made up to hear of their large support for Wii, but the crap they've pushed our way is appalling. Worse still, when they announced FarCry I was over the moon, and they wrecked it. Total *****.

At least hes honest about it. Ubisoft certainly isnt the only company taking this approach.
At least he rubs it in our face?

And if he's that honest how come some months ago adressed to us he asked for forgiveness about how the Ubisoft launch window games were shitty? Now look at BiA:DT and hell, this comment, it wasn't addressed to us (unlike the previous mentioned one) it was for reuters.

Ubisoft doesn't want us good (like they stated upon Wii's release), they weren't counting on Wii success either, just a quick buck, and even now they think of us a easy money and don't plan on investing.

Ubisoft, I hope that EA buy you, beak you up and sell you off for scrap, you are scum. I was initially made up to hear of their large support for Wii, but the crap they've pushed our way is appalling. Worse still, when they announced FarCry I was over the moon, and they wrecked it. Total *****.
*claps*

Yes but those other things seem to be games like SMG, SSBB, MP3, MKwii etc. Not games for someone elses console.

Ubisoft are treating the wii like a quicm buck so they can go and make proper games for other consoles. It sucks.

Yeah i see that angle too, my bad. I havent bought any of the non-casual Wii games from Ubisoft so ill have to take your word that they suck ass.

None of their line-up interested me anyway. I bought RedSteel and traded it in. I expected better quality than that for something that's supposed to be capable of much more than the Cube.

Hang on....so they are saying that there's no profit in 360/PS3 games?

There's profit, not enough to fund their 'next-gen' games though.

According to Reuters, next-gen means 360 and PS3 though.

If there's profit, they would be able to fund another game with the same budget as the one they've just sold.

If Star Wars Episode 2 made a profit of £10, LucasArts could still fund Episode 3 without needing to take any money from elsewhere (i.e. just using the money from Episode 2 sales).

Hang on....so they are saying that there's no profit in 360/PS3 games?
On the short run... Not really, specially when you take longer to break even and have to be developing and investing on a further handful of them at the same time.

For example, despite Capcom X360 Sales on Dead Rising and Lost Planet they're expecting a 14% profit drop; Take Two expects losses or break-even for 2007 despite Bioshock, etc... Square-Enix profits are also down 19% I think, I'd bet that's because of FFXIII and Versus XIII being in development (and will be for a long time).

Interesting how bluntly they admit to what they're doing.

Well, it makes sense to me. You can put millions into a huge epic game on the PS3/360 and earn off that, or rake it in with casual titles on the Wii. But you want the big games on the wii? You have to put more money into scaling down the graphics and remapping the controls to work with a wii-mote.

What surprises me is that they really make a profit off these "Games for Everyone" titles, who the hell is buying this consistently average trash?

Ubisoft suck. i said it at launch and I got flamed now everyone is saying it.

They were never great in my opinion. they're games never appealed to me. they have yet to make a decent ds game(seriously)

So it's going to be the same on the wii.

here is a new approach.

how about.....Spending money on making costly games for the system that is SELLING THE MOST!

Interesting how bluntly they admit to what they're doing.

Well, it makes sense to me. You can put millions into a huge epic game on the PS3/360 and earn off that, or rake it in with casual titles on the Wii. But you want the big games on the wii? You have to put more money into scaling down the graphics and remapping the controls to work with a wii-mote.

Not really, they don't spend more money scalling stuff back, specially if they do the game itself from the ground; and they also have to scale down stuff for the other consoles who are still not CGI quality, requires a lot of steps like applying lots of bumps, that doubles the texture work; they could apply these bumps just the same on the Wii, but most developers don't; guess we know why, it's extra work.

Yes, I do want the big games on the Wii, when my platform clearly has the sales advantage over the competition, GC was more powerful than PS2, so I guess we'd all prefer some exclusive ubisoft games for it since it was more capable, but that's not how the market works.

What surprises me is that they really make a profit off these "Games for Everyone" titles, who the hell is buying this consistently average trash?
I believe they are considering casual games stuff like Raving Rabbids, since Ubisoft doesn't have that much "casual stuff" out there (most are still horrible ports), their casual shit is coming Q4 2007.
Ubisoft suck. i said it at launch and I got flamed now everyone is saying it.
Here's a cookie. Personally, on launch I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, it was only natural that after the initial success they would invest in better games, but they didn't.

I still respect Raving Rabbids and Red Steel team, despite them being average, but I felt there was effort given the tight schedule, but really; after this don't count on me, at all.

They were never great in my opinion. they're games never appealed to me. they have yet to make a decent ds game(seriously)

So it's going to be the same on the wii.

Wasn't the Brothers in Arms for the DS good?
here is a new approach.

how about.....Spending money on making costly games for the system that is SELLING THE MOST!

That's what they should do, no doubt, but they're clearly Microsoft bitches, so... how about "if you don't like the system don't develop for it instead of releasing shit"?

Wasn't the Brothers in Arms for the DS good?

it was a great techical achievment no doubt. I had forgotten about ubisoft publishing it.

It's really just one game(Im not including bomberman either just because they publish them here) it's a bit sad.

ubisoft made an effort at first with the 2 great games(Yes I like red steel a lot. it's still my only fps experience on wii and i like the controls)

But nothing else was any way good.remember they actually apologised for their crap......Apologies can only be accepted with change which hasn't been done. In fact I think they have become far worse.(CATZ anyone?)

they remind me of An EA 5 years ago during last gen.

In fact even though ea did yearly updates and nothing more at least they were somewhat GOOD.

I still respect Raving Rabbids and Red Steel team

I still don't get why Rayman is in Rabbids. I mean, the game itself is focused on the Rabbids, the adverts feature them. They are the best thing about the game. Rayman is suited for platform games, and it hardly the most liked games character. Isn't he hated by an awful lot of people? Surely having Rayman in the game does nothing but reduce sales?

Red Steel is a lot of fun. But if it were a PC game it would be around as good as Halo.

I think Ubisoft and EA have switched positions. Ubisoft used to put effort into their games and create new, original IPs such as the critically acclaimed Beyond Good and Evil. EA used to make rubbishy yearly updates of their sports titles and churn out ports.

Now Ubisoft are coming out with this casual games tripe (Horsez??? HORSEZ??? Who got paid for thinking up that!?) and not putting any effort into their games, whilst EA are trying with MySims, EA Playground and different takes on their titles such as Mii incorporation into a lot of them, and WiiConnect 24.