NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

PES 2008 Pro Evolution Soccer

..yeh, the controls are what is gonna make or break this..

It all sounds very promising, enough for me to maybe preorder very soon.. though the bobble-head Kuyt is gonna be scary lookin' ..

As for the Single Player Mode, it should be OK, but to be honest PES has always been about getting your friends round for a few games (until recently, where it has broken into a bloodbath..) Thank goodness for online though, eh..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And did anyone else notice that players now only have 7 (!!!) traits?

I'm appalled. After Seabass saying they wouldn't dare simplify things, I'm on the verge of shooting myself in the head for their abuse of my trust.

I hear ya man...:(....

Nintendo are pi$$ing me off!! :shakehead

I hear ya man...:(....

Are they or are they now! Damn Miyamoto and his accessibility issues...

What does Nintendo have to do with any of this?

TBH, I don't think this is really bad, as long as it plays well, it'll do it for me.

Indeed if this plays well I don't care about anything else although Master League would of been nice, as long as it's better than any of the versions out already is a plus IMO because they are poor efforts from Konami.

What does Nintendo have to do with any of this?

TBH, I don't think this is really bad, as long as it plays well, it'll do it for me.

I'm sure the big N glove-hand editted a few bits and bobs for their 'casual/family' audience.

I'm sure the big N glove-hand editted a few bits and bobs for their 'casual/family' audience.
What kind of ridicilous conspiracy theory is that?

This game is going to have so much more depth than the other PES games...I can't wait!

What kind of ridicilous conspiracy theory is that?

I don't think that Nintendo have consciously moved Konami towards dumbening down the game, but given their demographic (and plethora of party games down the pipeline), Seabass must've decided it would be better to accessibilise the franchise.

To our dismay.

I don't think that Nintendo have consciously moved Konami towards dumbening down the game, but given their demographic (and plethora of party games down the pipeline), Seabass must've decided it would be better to accessibilise the franchise.

To our dismay.

Precisely, Mr Bond.

Speaking of Bond...

After reading that article, I feel like he would feel in this situation:

goldfinger2.jpg

At least we are getting something new. Casual or not. I'd rather have the opportunity to direct play in more ways than previous. Come on! Even Pro Evo is getting a little tiresome these days.

At least we have a marked difference here.

If we have IR menu's and "bobble heads" enabling faster, easier menu interaction; I'm all for it. As long as they don't leave out tactical options it's all good.

The only thing I worry about is using the nunchuck to shoot.

Speaking of Bond...

After reading that article, I feel like he would feel in this situation:

goldfinger2.jpg

LMAO!...: peace:

I love Pro Evo and am kind of excited by this; but I know it's only going to be good in promise for future versions. I'm sorry but a game which doesnt let me pass or shoot how I want to just isn't going to do anything but annoy me. The passing and movement will be incredible I'm sure, but I just know I'm going to find it all frustrated and a missed opporutnity!

I love Pro Evo and am kind of excited by this; but I know it's only going to be good in promise for future versions. I'm sorry but a game which doesnt let me pass or shoot how I want to just isn't going to do anything but annoy me. The passing and movement will be incredible I'm sure, but I just know I'm going to find it all frustrated and a missed opporutnity!

Yeah using the Nunchuck will be annoying, considering how shit the damn thing is.

Yeah using the Nunchuck will be annoying, considering how shit the damn thing is.

It's weird, the use of the nunchuck works so well in some games... it's perfect in SSX Blur... but awful in others!

To be honest, I play PES for a casual game of football, and although seven traits might be low (ten or so would be better), I welcome this simplification. I don't feel this is dumbing down, but restores more skill in the actual gameplay. There were a lot of redundant stats in the original PES lineup as far as I'm concerned. Like De Saint-Expury said, perfection is achieved not when there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to take away.

And yeah, the demographic image these developers have is too stereotypical, which is why I proposed the Wii Gamer's Edition a few weeks ago. But to suggest Nintendo may have forced Konami to do this is stupid.

To be honest, I play PES for a casual game of football, and although seven traits might be low (ten or so would be better), I welcome this simplification. I don't feel this is dumbing down, but restores more skill in the actual gameplay. There were a lot of redundant stats in the original PES lineup as far as I'm concerned. Like De Saint-Expury said, perfection is achieved not when there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to take away.

In my opinion the benefit of PES was exactly those stats. They led to a degree of player diversification that was unseen with the game's rivals.

In my opinion the benefit of PES was exactly those stats. They led to a degree of player diversification that was unseen with the game's rivals.
Yeah well, that's for me true to some extent, I always liked training my young players in the Master League, but I have a feeling that you simply don't need four stats for passing, for example. A simple Attack, Defense, Passing, Shooting, Strength, Speed and Technique stat would probably suffice, and stuff like shot technique and dribbling could be derived from those under the surface of the game. It's not an as realistic representation as the games are now, but for the sake of fun, I'm alright with it. Maybe they could up the amount to 10 or so for things like Team Work and Aggression, but even then this will probably suffice.

Yeah well, that's for me true to some extent, I always liked training my young players in the Master League, but I have a feeling that you simply don't need four stats for passing, for example. A simple Attack, Defense, Passing, Shooting, Strength, Speed and Technique stat would probably suffice, and stuff like shot technique and dribbling could be derived from those under the surface of the game. It's not an as realistic representation as the games are now, but for the sake of fun, I'm alright with it. Maybe they could up the amount to 10 or so for things like Team Work and Aggression, but even then this will probably suffice.

In theory, you could be right, given they preserved the star-allocation-system. However, the risk of every character being the same as the other save for appearance is much, much greater with the current way the Wii-version is looking.

Well whaddaya know but another day and another preview. CVG this time:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=180059

They seem excited about the new style and heres one paragraph in particular that stood out to me:

Instead of flourishing the Nunchuk like a child with a rattle, you only need to make one slight gesture to trigger a shot, so long as it's timed to perfection. PES Wii takes your timing into account to a great extent, so merely shaking your Nunchuk until you shoot just confuses your character. And hurts your arm. This is doubly important when deflecting a ball, which will only work if you make a flick exactly when the ball comes towards you. Simply pumping the Nunchuk doesn't work at all.

So there is some finesse required for this "waggle and shoot" style they are incorporating. Also, you can do a flick and deflect the ball? That is a nice touch. Other things mentioned include that in this Champions Road you pick players from teams you beat to have in your squad, and that there is no "I" in team. Meaning that its all about the other players, moving, creating space etc and they liken it to an RTS idea- which I kinda like.

Sounding better by the day!

Damn it... Am I the only one who enjoys dribbling eleven players to oblivion?