NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Pokemon Wii? Where are thee?

It's not coming, and if it would it wouldn't be that great to be honest. Pokemon is a quick handheld game, a console game would feel out of place. Also, the gameplay system is not suited for a MMORPG, really.

Like some GameFreak rep (Pokemon developers) said, the Pokemon formula is a handheld formula, and so we only get Stadium/Channel/Snap kind of games on the consoles for easy money...

tho i agree kinda with ashley

where would they go after that?

tho after reading your blog - i would love to be a pokemon professor in a game - that would be cool!

A MMORPG would be damn awesome. So much stuff you could do. But alas I doubt it'll happen.

I'm sorry but I disagree. A company dismissing a game because it would be "too good" sounds unreal.

The 2 adventure like pokémon games on Gamecube were proof that they at least tried to make something more than a battle type of pokémon game.

If they wouldn't make a certain game because it would be too hard to make a sequel than we wouldn't be waiting on Mario Galaxy :) ( granted, they sure took their time after the disaster that was Sunshine )

Come from different side of the tracks I suppose. I am on the "cynical pessimistic side" while you're on the "optimistic side".

They could make a Pokémon RPG/adventure game for the Wii. Its not that they can't or don't know how. They could mish mash teams from Zelda, Mario and Pokemon for the technical knowhow and the Pokémon knowhow. As I said, its a case of not wanting to.

Shorty touched on it somewhat, it is partially laziness. I don't think if they released Pokémon Wii and it was great and then released Pokémon Wii 2 and it was less great it still wouldn't sell. But I just feel that they would have to rethink the franchise. Why would people then downgrade to the next generation of Pokémon DS games if they've had an awesome 3D-erised version on the Wii? Yes, its handheld but look at GTA. It does fantastically on home consoles, the bastardised PSP versions; not so much.

Its all just conjecture. Nobody other than Nintendo knows why there is no Pokémon Wii game. (although whoever quoted some GameFreak person, thats probably it). But please don't hold your breath for it.

Pokemon is a handheld game. A console RPG wouldn't be superior to a handheld version in any manner other than graphics, yet would lose things such as local trading, ability to take to in-store events, and simple portability. Pokemon games are designed for dip-in-dip-out.

Really, what could they do in a console version other than expensive, time consuming 3D graphics?

ANSWER: Wifi & the Wii remote!

The DS has Wi-Fi and I don't see how the Wiimote would work in a turn-based RPG except for throwing Pokeballs...

Really, why would we want Pokemon RPG Wii?

Ok, i'm just gonna post here essentially what I post in every thread like this

1. Nintendo doesnt make the games, Gamefreak does

2. Gamefreak have explicitly said that they treat Pokémon as a handheld franchise. That is the whole basis of the game. As demonstrated with Colosseum & XD, it just doesn't work as well in the console environment

3. Don't get me started on the MMORPG concept...we'd be here for hours

I don't want a Wii Pokemon RPG, it's fine where it is. As a hand-held game.

We have time :p

But nah seriously as I said it will never happen and would never work. Its just a nice little "what if" to think about.

Actually Genius Sonority makes the console ones now. They were originally founded to make pokemon colosseum and since then they have also make XD and PBR

2. Gamefreak have explicitly said that they treat Pokémon as a handheld franchise. That is the whole basis of the game. As demonstrated with Colosseum & XD, it just doesn't work as well in the console environment

So you cannot imagine the exact game of the handheld but updating the graphics?

that's all they have to do. Even remake a game but it helps getting it started.

I understand however that they could undermine the handheld games.

Actually Genius Sonority makes the console ones now. They were originally founded to make pokemon colosseum and since then they have also make XD and PBR

I was just going to say that as well. but even at that gamefreak have no great experience with consoles.

If a devolper like intelligent systems tried it you know it would be brilliant.

The idea of a console version of the handheld games is so obvious now there must be a serious reason why they are not doing it.

If a devolper like intelligent systems tried it you know it would be brilliant.

Why would it be brilliant, though? What would it be able to bring that can't be done / hasn't been done on the DS? The advantages of the DS seem to far, far outweigh the Wii, no?

So you cannot imagine the exact game of the handheld but updating the graphics?

that's all they have to do. Even remake a game but it helps getting it started.

I understand however that they could undermine the handheld games.

I think GameFreak's argument is they made a handheld game. Big whoop if it can be done on something else. Its a HANDHELD game.

Its not that I cant imagine, its just that as a game its more suited to the handheld, thats how the game is. Like FPS's are more suited to PCs, Racing Games to Consoles and so forth

I am aware that they were doing it, but Gamefreak make all the creative decisions and make all the main games. The point I was trying to make was that its not Nintendo

Why would it be brilliant, though? What would it be able to bring that can't be done / hasn't been done on the DS? The advantages of the DS seem to far, far outweigh the Wii, no?

Far better graphics,cutscenes,possible voice acting.

Just better use of technology. You would not say no.

I think GameFreak's argument is they made a handheld game. Big whoop if it can be done on something else. Its a HANDHELD game.

But that's not the way it always has to be. There is nothing in the games that suggests It can't be done on a console. yes little things might have to be changed.

Its not that I cant imagine, its just that as a game its more suited to the handheld, thats how the game is. Like FPS's are more suited to PCs, Racing Games to Consoles and so forth

I don't see why it is besides the name pocket monsters. Racing games still occur on pc and fps games still appear consoles dont they and can still be brilliant games.

But that's not the way it always has to be. There is nothing in the games that suggests It can't be done on a console. yes little things might have to be changed.

I don't think you're seeing my point, so bold-ed words may help.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it either has to be done or should be done. (nor indeed will be done)

(p.s. not a personal attack or anything. Reading that it seems quite acid-tongued)

The DS has Wi-Fi and I don't see how the Wiimote would work in a turn-based RPG except for throwing Pokeballs...

Who says it has to be a turn-based RPG. Perhaps a console version would give Nintendo an excuse for a whole new battle system. Perhaps a kind of mini-RTS thing replacing the turn based battles.

Do you realise how inconvenient it would be to play a proper pokemon game on a console? Training is fine on a handheld because it's quick and convenient, but i don't particularly want to EV train on a console, would be annoying!

If Nintendo were to release Pokémon Wii: (think of the helicopter as Wii userbase or something)

4you2d3.gif

Japan would implode!

Seriously though, if they really want to sell wii's there... this would be a no brainer, first time since SNES they are on top on home consoles, so it really makes sense.

You're welcome to make a thread for it :heh:

Who says it has to be a turn-based RPG. Perhaps a console version would give Nintendo an excuse for a whole new battle system. Perhaps a kind of mini-RTS thing replacing the turn based battles.
That would be so cool but yet so unNintendish :(

I did N-Europe blog about this but to sum it up;

In my opinion they will never do this because it would be too good. It would be the peak of the Pokémon franchise and then Nintendo would have nowhere to go with it.

You must be joking?

You must be joking?

Doubtful. Maybe my opinion was flawed and reading through this has helped me think about other approaches as to why, but I still think in part there would be a worry that it would peak. Creating a Wii Pokémon would be whats wanted and then where would they go. Keep 'em wanting more as they say.

...I know I'm really living in dream world when I say this but...Would it be SO hard to make a Wii Pokemon EPIC RPG - I mean on the grande scale of, say...I don't know... FINAL FANTASY!

My most favourite thing about Pokemon is the battle system; old-skool and strategic - like a game of chess, the elemental system is just spot on. So in any case they have the battle system done. But whats so hard about figuring out a deep story, with a sprinkle of a few FMVs and a hint of orchestrated familiar pokemon tunes. Surely, it can't be THAT hard!

I mean, the Wii is popular, almost as near popular as the legendary Snes, more so popular than the previous two generations. The handheld Pokemon adventures are getting dire, its the same ole, same ole. bring Pokemon up a gear and renew its life. I mean, whos really looking forward to the next Pokemon Black/White etc?

Everything Nintendo are pulling is just all too familiar, Nintendo are starting to be too conservative for my liking - its like they just stick to a formula that will get them paid, rather than create a dozen timeless masterpieces.

I don't think you're seeing my point, so bold-ed words may help.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it either has to be done or should be done. (nor indeed will be done)

(p.s. not a personal attack or anything. Reading that it seems quite acid-tongued)

Then let's keep rehashing the same handheld games with matchbox houses and pokemon fights that haven't improved in graphics since pokemon gold/silver.

if something CAN be done and pokemon fans WANT it then we are agreed it should be done.

It's not like money isn't going to be made from it. They always sell like crazy.

And as for people wanting more.

ok the first pokemon rpg might not be the best. Just update the same gameplay. Sequels make the game bigger and better and eventually getting to maybe possibly the mmorpg some pokemon fans want so much(I don't care much for this however)

...I know I'm really living in dream world when I say this but...Would it be SO hard to make a Wii Pokemon EPIC RPG - I mean on the grande scale of, say...I don't know... FINAL FANTASY!

My most favourite thing about Pokemon is the battle system; old-skool and strategic - like a game of chess, the elemental system is just spot on. So in any case they have the battle system done. But whats so hard about figuring out a deep story, with a sprinkle of a few FMVs and a hint of orchestrated familiar pokemon tunes. Surely, it can't be THAT hard!

I mean, the Wii is popular, almost as near popular as the legendary Snes, more so popular than the previous two generations. The handheld Pokemon adventures are getting dire, its the same ole, same ole. bring Pokemon up a gear and renew its life. I mean, whos really looking forward to the next Pokemon Black/White etc?

Everything Nintendo are pulling is just all too familiar, Nintendo are starting to be too conservative for my liking - its like they just stick to a formula that will get them paid, rather than create a dozen timeless masterpieces.

Exactly. But pokemon nerds have lost all hope because every pokemon game on a console has sucked(bar stadiums) so they bealieve there is no way in hell a pokemon rpg could work if they can't even update staduim.

Which is true in some ways. A new developer is needed first.

One thing is certain; if this game gets a home console adventure, it can't have turn-based battles. It does not work in 3D.

I actually quite like the idea Cube had about an RTS/action-like scenario, like in the anime. With the Wiimote it could be done quite well.

Conservative as Nintendo is, especially with succesful series, this is not going to happen.

One thing is certain; if this game gets a home console adventure, it can't have turn-based battles. It does not work in 3D.

I actually quite like the idea Cube had about an RTS/action-like scenario, like in the anime. With the Wiimote it could be done quite well.

Conservative as Nintendo is, especially with succesful series, this is not going to happen.

but final fantasy have been doing turn based for years and many other games. I don't accept that. A pokemon rpg with poekmon revolution battles would be brilliant but maybe a mammoth task