NEurope
david.dakota

America or Europe?

Yep owning a US Wii is perhaps the only way to go. Which is ashame. Due to the fact Europe were promised by Nintendo that we wouldn't have to wait months for games this gen, which quite frankly is already getting worse only 8 months into a consoles lifespan.

Sony and Microsoft normally release first-party games within a couple of weeks from the US date (of course theres some exceptions, but we're talking HUGE localisation like Final Fantasy), why can't Nintendo?

MY OPINION OF COURSE

Oh come on, the waiting times average out at two months. We had to wait half a year for the Wind Waker back in the days.

I'm almost constantly regretting not getting a US Wii.

No choice of 60hz VC games is also an insult.

Oh come on, the waiting times average out at two months. We had to wait half a year for the Wind Waker back in the days.

9ish months for trauma center?

9ish months for trauma center?

Trauma Centre is hardly average is it?

It isn't all bad, really. We get Mario Strikers Charged 4 months earlier than the Yanks.

We got it 2 months after the US.

With the Wii, we've gotten Wii Play, Wario Ware, Mario Strikers and a few 3rd party games (Heat Seeker, Mercury Meltdown) first. Wii Play and Strikers were here first by months. And we've gotten most of the N64 VC titles before the US.

OK, so the VC games and Wario Ware were by 3 days, but we still got them first.

The debacle of Mario Party 8 has led me to consider exactly what Nintendo do for localisation. In the UK, we receive American English games - alongside 4 other languages (the translation of which consistently slows down the European release).

So, given that in the Uk we're usually happy to read our text in American Bastardised English, why don't Nintendo Europe allow a swift UK release, without any translation into Italian, French and whatever else.

I would say thats a little selfish. Wait, not a little, but you jsut saying this - it is incredibly selfish. The UK is part of the European market and so they should wait just as long as the rest of Europe. What you're saying is bullshit - You're not part of the American market and you don't want to be, only when it's good for you, no? We don't speak French or Italian in Flanders and still we'de have to wait for a game that'll, in the end, be in english.

You're full of horseshit, boy.

uhm paper mario wii? and modchips are a BIG NO NO! its elegal! its piracy! it hurts the games industry thus also your future games.

uhm paper mario wii? and modchips are a BIG NO NO! its elegal! its piracy! it hurts the games industry thus also your future games.

Using mod chips to play illegal copies of the game is illegal. IIRC, having a mod chip to play genuine import games is as legal as a freeloader. It just voids your warranty.

So do the English, if not the rest of the UK.

I once saw a person in the street tell her child "I brought you up to say your "hatechs" properly!

I could do nothing to stop myself laughing out loud...:indeed:

I propose that all who pronounce "H" as "hatech" should be taken away and shot, or forced to play Halo 2 online against stupid little racist homophobic arrogant Septics for 24 hours strait, WITHOUT BEING ALLOWED TO MUTE THE HEADSET!

i guess i have to stop listening to teachers, i had a teacher once who told my class that everyone in the UK pronounces it that way. I wonder if there really are still any differences between English (UK) and English (Can.)

That's about th biggest bull I've heard in years. Modchips don't hurt thee games-industry. They are what made the PlayStation succesfull in the first place. If there weren't modchips and CD-burners out there, the PlayStation wouldn't have been half as succesfull.

Sony thanks it's succes to the modchips.

Thank God you're on a Nintendo platform, where modding isn't the everyday thing (except the visual, outside modding).

The PSP wouldn't even be selling units anymore if it weren't for exploits and hacked firmwares so I doesn't hurt sales of the consoles, that's for sure, about the games... yea I'm sure it hurts sales a lot, but there's enough people around that actually buys the Great games.

Trauma Centre is hardly average is it?

It isn't all bad, really. We get Mario Strikers Charged 4 months earlier than the Yanks.

2 months earlier (not 4) because America prefer American Football and Europe as a whole are bigger fans of Football. It makes sense as a business to release a football game where the sport is loved the most, does it not?

It'll be like Europe getting an American Football game before America wouldn't it? or Baseball come to think of it, theres obviously fans of these in Europe but no-where near as many as where the sport actually originated from.

That was a 'sales' move and not NOE saying lets give that one to Europe first for a change.

Also We got it May 25th, they get it July 25th, so it's two. :smile:

Actually, who thinks taht we Europeans have to wait way to long for good games lately? I think we're in for a treat. Lately, all the three big ones understand that Europe is an important market - more than ever - and in honor of that we get games earlier and earlier compared to what it used to be. It's not perfect yet, but we don't see Americans complaining about the Japanese, do we? Even though there's still a month or two in between, at least we don't need to wait for easter and all-hollows to fall on the same day, like we used to?

On the other hand, the long wait increases anticipation for better games. I poured voer every review of Twilight Princess before buying it and it really made the game more exciting to get. Look at the upsides.

Just never say that selfish thing again about making UK an American market. Because that's exactly why British are portraited as arrogant people (no offense, I just see a lot of television that does). Because, you know, you're good enough for the American market when it profits for you, but you hate the Americans when it doesn't profit you... That's pretty double, only wanting to take the good and leave the bad. You can't have one, you have both if you choose it.

*didn't read the epically long thread*

This reminds me of Kororinpa - they took the time to change the name of the American Football to Rugby Ball, but forgot to change the skin. So it was still actually an American Football, not a rugby ball.

This reminds me of Kororinpa - they took the time to change the name of the American Football to Rugby Ball, but forgot to change the skin. So it was still actually an American Football, not a rugby ball.

Still, we did get the game a month before the US.

Lets be honest, and say that you don't know what you are talking. You haven't ever done any translation jobs, and can't even speak other languages than your own mother tongue. That is some classic brittish arrogance right there.

Here at Finland most foreign books are translated to our language, and I know personally some top-class, respected translators. I also know personally how long it does to translate something so "simple" as Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix from english to finnish. And guess what? It took ten months, solid 8 hours per day. And something like Super Paper Mario has far more text, and lot more technical hurdles to overcome. In this light, NoE's localization efforts are incredibly fast and swift.

YOU don't know what you're talking, mah boi.

<------- Read here (or around here, where it says Location)? Not a country from UK. And guess what, this isn't my mother tongue either! I also doubt most games out there has 900 pages worth of text.

That's another issue, why does Europe get screwed in terms of pricing. Importing still beats any retail price I see around here.

Because we get 2 years warranty in every product and because of other taxes. But it's still not worth it.

I wonder if they translate

Japanese--> english ---> spanish--->portugese etc

or

Jap -->english -->others

or

Jap --->others

This must lead to some hilarious lost in translateion type errors.

Things like zelda are written so nicely that the meaning must change for coherence etc. SPASTIC

Games never get translated to portuguese. Where did you get that from?(maybe with the exception of FIFA and Football Manager and some others)

I also doubt most games out there has 900 pages worth of text.

Yeah, but outside Paper Mario, Pokemon Battle Revolution and Fire Emblem, NoE has released all titles within 65 days of their US releases.

That's about th biggest bull I've heard in years. Modchips don't hurt thee games-industry. They are what made the PlayStation succesfull in the first place. If there weren't modchips and CD-burners out there, the PlayStation wouldn't have been half as succesfull.

Sony thanks it's succes to the modchips.

Thank God you're on a Nintendo platform, where modding isn't the everyday thing (except the visual, outside modding).

Hehehe finally some one who thinks like me (in a way) what you say is true it dint hurt sony not one bit it indeed even helped them in making the ps1 to a big sucses! although it were the developers who felt it in the game sales in the end. and don't say you have not knowthist that the games have become more of the same and almost clones from each other. go and chat with a developer like i did in those days and they would have said that it does hurt.

and beleave me that sony had to make up for there mistakes with the ps3 becoase many developers would leave if they did it again

(trowing a bit more oil on the fire hehehe)

I would say thats a little selfish. Wait, not a little, but you jsut saying this - it is incredibly selfish. The UK is part of the European market and so they should wait just as long as the rest of Europe. What you're saying is bullshit - You're not part of the American market and you don't want to be, only when it's good for you, no? We don't speak French or Italian in Flanders and still we'de have to wait for a game that'll, in the end, be in english.

You're full of horseshit, boy.

Waht the fuck are you on about?

We don't want to be part of the American Market....We want to be a UK Market....that's the point.

And if you didn't want to wait; then with your PAL Wii you could always import from I dunno...The UK...It would benefit you too.

Just never say that selfish thing again about making UK an American market. Because that's exactly why British are portraited as arrogant people (no offense, I just see a lot of television that does). Because, you know, you're good enough for the American market when it profits for you, but you hate the Americans when it doesn't profit you... That's pretty double, only wanting to take the good and leave the bad. You can't have one, you have both if you choose it.

Blah blah blah....UK MARKET!!

The American Market generally always profits us....And we hate the Americans when they're twa's, if you're talking about arrogance, you should maybe look a bit further than The Channel.

My wii is modded. That is why i am playing compleatly legally paper mario and you arent.

Seriously they should just remobve region locks they are stupid.

Well your not allowed an opinion on this forum, so you might as well say Europe have been treated well, when it comes to release dates.

Theres never any discussion, it's just posting what you as a individual person believes and someone posting back that your 100% wrong and what your thinking is always incorrect and being totally knocked down.

Wheres the discussion? Might as well lock this thread.

Well your not allowed an opinion on this forum, so you might as well say Europe have been treated well, when it comes to release dates.

Theres never any discussion, it's just posting what you as a individual person believes and someone posting back that your 100% wrong and what your thinking is always incorrect and being totally knocked down.

Wheres the discussion? Might as well lock this thread.

thats absolute rubbish.. This is one of the best forums on the internet. If you want bad... look at the comment sections on gonintendo. This thread should be stickied to mark its significne

I've always found the European waits unfortunate for you guys. And to think as a child I thought we had it bad waiting after Japanese releases. Which makes me wonder, how can games like Super Paper Mario be translated from Japanese to American English so quickly when the languages differ so heavily, yet the European release gets set back considerably? European languages should be a little more simple to translate between, if you ask me. Then again, I figure NoE must be rather lazy and waits for NoA to translate, then takes that and does one language at a time.

And if it's any consolation, I can't afford Super Paper Mario yet anyway.