Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• 2 weeks later...
Is the Nokia n97 really that bad (in terms of reliability/sustainability etc) as I hear?

It seems to be running Symbian, so it seems likely that it's slow, buggy and unreliable. Nokia seem to be really struggling in keeping up on both hardware and software terms. The N900 looked like it may be a step in the right direction, but it looks like they've abandoned the route of a new OS and gone back to the old one.

I know someone who works at a 3 shop near me and they have just informed me that they can get me a HTC Desire for £22.50 a month, 24monthcontract, unlimited texts/internet, 500 minutes.

I was resigning myself to the Desire being out of my price range, but I think I might just have to have me some of that :D Only problem is I need to wait til they get one back in stock!

I have an interview at a phone kiosky thing on Thursday. Its a spare bits (cases, lanyards etc) and repair/upgrade place rather than the phones themselves but I'd like to bone up on phones before it so any particular sites you guys and dolls recommend?

Wow this is a beast.

Also, my friend purchased a HTC on PAYG and it had a slide out QWERTY keyboard, why did nobody tell me this existed before? :p

Question; looking around and possibly going to get an Orange contract. Includes 500MB data. Will this be okay for me considering all I'd really use it for is popping on to facebook and sometimes twitter (I can update mine via text, but to check/respond I'd need to go online) and the occasional random google of something. Push email is included so that's fine.

Edited by Ashley

Apps don't incur data usage? I would have presumed so as they're online and what not...

Coolio if not though.

They do incur data usage, what I mean is that you'll still have loads of data left over if you use the apps. The offficial Twitter Android app is quite lovely (and probably really annoyed those who created paid-for ones).

Pretty much cube sums it up. I've got 3GB on my T-mobile plan and I think I used up 79MB last month. I think my highest usage has been 1.2GB but that was when I was lost in London and did loads of Google maps navigation which was hacked on at the time, and web browsing over 3g + youtube.

Ash to brush up on your handset knowledge try: http://www.gsmarena.com

Edited by Ten10

I popped into the Orange store today and the guy said "I thought I wouldn't use much internet too but then I did and racked up a huge bill so I suggest the Panther which is £30 a month and has unlimited net and sat nav and photo messages..." which kind had me contemplating for a bit (or at least antagonising as I can't afford :p) but reading these posts again reassured me ^_^ I would very seldom use sat nav (I'm used to getting lost, its fine :p) to be honest.

With Orange do photo messages use up x text messages (like with O2 it uses up for)? Not that I send them that often.

Aaaaaand chances of Desire contracts going down in price when fancy new phones come out? (and if so, when?)

Can't believe how blasé O2 are about losing customers nowadays. Seems like they only care about you if you have an iPhone.

Yeah but its still not free to use it :p (I presume...?)

If you set the directions when you're connected to a WiFi network then turn the mobile data connection off while driving then it will work fine and won't cost anything.

Good thinking batman. Although as I said I will seldom use it. I don't drive and while I frequently get lost while walking I eventually find my way.

So yeah, when are the next spat of super awesome phones due out?

Although I do want a Vision. Desire + Slide Out Qwerty = my joy. I've wanted one for years but it'll once again be out of my price bracket.

Guest Captain Falcon

If you make the most of free WiFi, it is pretty hard to go over your limit unless you spend all your time streaming music and watching videos.

I barely scratched my data allowance last month and even though I turn off mobile data when I'm not specifically using it, just trying to keep the battery alive that little bit longer, it wouldn't have made much difference.

I think I might spend this month going out of my way to see just how much I'd have to use to go over my limit.

I'm only on WiFi at home, the rest of the time is 3G. I use the web a lot, every single day, but it's mainly web sites, email and apps like The Guardian. The only times I've ever come near 500MB have been when tethering to my PC a lot or when I had a Spotify Premium sub and wasn't using the 'Offline Playlists' function much. 500MB/month is some pretty heavy web use, it takes video to go over that really.

Cheers everyone :) Yeah I'll stick to Wi-Fi mostly and I've still yet to really discover the joys of YouTube...I'm not one of those that spends all day looking at videos. Spotify would be nice but I can live without as I have an iPod anyway. I have Wi-Fi at home (obviously) and the shopping centre I work at has pockets of unprotected wi-fi.

May still wait a few days/a week or two out of laziness mostly :p

Cheers everyone :) Yeah I'll stick to Wi-Fi mostly and I've still yet to really discover the joys of YouTube...I'm not one of those that spends all day looking at videos. Spotify would be nice but I can live without as I have an iPod anyway. I have Wi-Fi at home (obviously) and the shopping centre I work at has pockets of unprotected wi-fi.

For Spotify you'll need to pay £9.99 a month. Although HTC phones have a perfectly good standard music player anyway.