NEurope

What happens if I'm O2?

As far as I'm aware you can unlock it to use on other networks for a tenner or something. Don't really know, I'm sure someone on here will though.

Free unlocking for San Francisco (ZTE BLADE) here (http://www.nextgenserver.com/calculator/) all you need is the IMEI number (Select ZTE and leave the model as ZTE Bluebelt) that gives you a code that you enter when you put your O2 sim in.

This forum is very useful (http://android.modaco.com/category/453/zte-blade-blade-modaco-com/)

Perfect advice.

I would like to give my negs on the San Fran.

With Moderate/Heavy use the battery will last one day.

My wifi does not automatically reconnect after the phone sleeps (display off for a couple of minutes). I've installed a fix called 'Blade Wifi Fix' and this pretty much sorts it.

Build quality varies - mine is fine, but a work colleague had to send his back because his wasn't connecting to his home wifi at all. Quick and painless exchange though.

Some people report screen freezes where all you can do to fix it is to pop out the battery. I have never had this. Neither have thousands of others.

The camera is bad in low light conditions. (Fine in daylight though - http://picasaweb.google.com/PikePikePikePike/Camera#)

It is a budget phone so intensive games/apps can struggle. (Angry Birds works okay once the level has had a chance to settle.)

I'm so tempted by the San Fran. I don't really need a new phone though (I've still got a D900i but it still works perfectly).

It is a sad sad day today. Just found out that t-mobile is docking 2.5GB off my data allowance. Not that I ever used that much but now I have to start monitoring it for a good reason. Fail whale to the extreme. I'll probably use this as an excuse to end my contract early.

Surely if you've signed a contract they can't do that? (Or you at least have the option to end it?)

Surely if you've signed a contract they can't do that? (Or you at least have the option to end it?)

They've reversed the decision anyway - existing customers keep the same data limit.

Yeah forgot to update my post at the time. I get to keep my 3GB limit until the end of my contract. Then I'm back to giff gaff.

They can. It's buried deep in the Terms and Conditions.

They can. It's buried deep in the Terms and Conditions.

But what about consumer rights? You've bought a product of x-minutes etc. Surely if they change that then it's no longer the product you've bought.

I'm sure if you rang them up and complained they'd either give you the original deal or allow you to end the contract anyway. Reputation and all that. (Obviously I'm talking generally as the particular case has been resolved.)

The terms usually state that you can only leave if the new T&Cs are of significan financial detriment. For example, if your network starts charging for calls to 0800 numbers you need to have a history of calling these numer to get out of the contract. Same goes for internet allowance, if you use sub-500MB/month it's difficult to argue that a move from 3GB down to 1GB is any justification for early termination.

But what about consumer rights? You've bought a product of x-minutes etc. Surely if they change that then it's no longer the product you've bought.

I'm sure if you rang them up and complained they'd either give you the original deal or allow you to end the contract anyway. Reputation and all that. (Obviously I'm talking generally as the particular case has been resolved.)

Yeah but there's always something written along the lines off "We have the right to change blah blah" at anytime with correct notice period blah".

The problem with the t-mobile data usage issue is that they were taking advantage of a legal loophole where they had two contradictory clauses.

Something along the lines of if we change the terms of your agreement you have the right to cancel without fee.

But also we have the right to change any terms of service as long as we provide you with suitable notice. On which grounds they were denying customers the right for early termination fee.

My mother is due a new phone soon. She is considering either the Nokia N8 or C7 and has asked me to look into them which I have done but looking for back up opinions from anyone whose used them.

I'm thinking C7. She doesn't need a 12mp camera (or 8mp for that matter) and it seems bigger (or at least less 'sleek') and she only uses her phone for texting, ringing and occasional browsing when bored at work.

I'm not too sure about Symbian either. Any good? And what's the keyboard like? She's been resisting touch screen phones for years but it seems like they're going the way of the Virtual Boy.

Symbian should be fine for texting/ringing/occasional browsing. Other than that, it's simply old. Like using Windows 95.

So i've been thinking off late, as the expiration of my contract expires, what phone to get next. I love my Blackberry and have had nothing but good things out of it but I'll think i'll go back to the iPhone. I just can't look past the App store. There's just so many apps on there that I could actually have a use for in every day life. I can't say the same for the Blackberry App store.

Don't dismiss Android. In terms of Apps I'd say it was fairly equal between iOS and Android now (i.e. the majority of good apps are now on both platforms). Android is lacking in games at the moment, but things look like they're improving in that department.

Don't dismiss Android. In terms of Apps I'd say it was fairly equal between iOS and Android now (i.e. the majority of good apps are now on both platforms). Android is lacking in games at the moment, but things look like they're improving in that department.

I've used Android devices and have found them pretty good and well supported. I've got a pretty large iTunes collection, so that probably tips in favour of the iPhone, in what ever guise the newest one comes in.

What cube said

But here is a trusted review of each:

N8: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n8-review-523.php

C7: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_c7-review-530.php

Personally I'd probably go for the C7. Realistically I'd probably go for something with android on it.

I'd steer her towards that too personally but I'm on it and her partner is on it (Desire and Xperia X10) but I think she finds it too complicated, or assumes it is and avoids. I think she doesn't really consider phones in terms of OS but manufacturers. She used to have Nokias for years but when she was last up for upgrade switched to SE because at the time Nokia really didn't have anything of interest and now she wants to go back.

Plus the C7 seems smaller. I think its about the same size as the N8 (which is about the size of the Desire) but I think the rounded corner and thinner size help. Oh and she thinks the Desire/X10 is too big...which is where I was going with that.

Ramble ramble ramble. Will try and find a shop that will let me try the C7 tomorrow.

Cheers guys :)

I'd say one thing that came out of that review is that the touch screen keyboard is quite poor. If your mum has difficulty using them it might be worth looking at something else. Do your best to try it out yourself and if it's not a surprise I'd suggest getting her to try it out too.

I'd buy an old-school Nokia phone over the new Symbian handsets TBH. They're well built, but the software (especially the keyboard) is a bit poor. They're a half step up from the likes of Samsung's Tocco and LG's Cookie handsets.

I'm so tempted by the San Fran. I don't really need a new phone though (I've still got a D900i but it still works perfectly).

Ok so now my phone is actually broken (it won't turn on). So I'm looking to buy a new one. I'm thinking the San Fran, but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions for that price bracket or lower.

EDIT: They don't have it in stock at my local argos so I'm now considering the Samsung Galaxy Apollo. Only £90 at carphone warehouse. However the O2 one is £100. Does anybody know how easy it would be to unlock it?

Also does anyone have or have used it?

Edited by MoogleViper