NEurope

Didn't Froyo come out months ago? Has it really taken Orange this long to release a version sufficiently ruined with their own useless branding?

Evidentially.

Actually they said some of the blame is with HTC. And I think its only been about a month since it was available.

Didn't Froyo come out months ago? Has it really taken Orange this long to release a version sufficiently ruined with their own useless branding?

They had already urinated on stock 2.1, they just needed to do a bit more for 2.2

Don't know what additions they've made but I doubt it's anything people want.

Well it has to be adapted to work with HTC sense. That's why devices, such as the nexus 1, running vanilla Android can update sooner.

I don't see why people get so het up about the branding. Its only apps. If you don't want to use them don't :p

I don't see why people get so het up about the branding. Its only apps. If you don't want to use them don't :p

Main issues for people are that it slows down updates as carriers add their own branding. It infuritates customers more when the carriers add their own version of freely available apps which perform to a lesser extent than the default. Also demo applications which can't be removed but take up precious already limited space is often a deal breaker for most.

As far as the orange update goes no additional crapware has been added.

HTC Sense is the main reason for how long it takes. Although I personally think that Android is mostly better without Sense. Incidentally, I updated my Hero to 2.2 (non-Sense) and overclocked it last night. It works great, and the battery actually seems to be lasting longer.

T-mobile and orange customers it's time to be everything everywhere.

Orange customers can opt in to access the T-mobile network where orange coverage is low. Likewise t-mobile customers can access the orange network

https://kareena.orange.co.uk/share -Orange

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/share/ -T-mobile

On a side note this is currently limited to 2g services. 3g will be rolling out next year.

Edited by Ten10

T-mobile and orange customers it's time to be everything everywhere.

Orange customers can opt in to access the T-mobile network where orange coverage is low. Likewise t-mobile customers can access the orange network

https://kareena.orange.co.uk/share -Orange

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/share/ -T-mobile

On a side note this is currently limited to 2g services. 3g will be rolling out next year.

Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but why do you have to opt into the thing unless they are making it this way to somehow avoid overloading the network until they know it can handle the traffic.

And a note to people with smartphones:

If it's anything like 3 (network), which uses a lot of different networks, then you may need to turn data roaming on for it to work properly. When you're connected to another network the phone thinks that you are roaming. If you stay in the UK then there won't be any extra costs (just remember to turn if off if you go abroad).

Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but why do you have to opt into the thing unless they are making it this way to somehow avoid overloading the network until they know it can handle the traffic.

According to t-mobile certain devices aren't supported. That's why there is an opt in. Also there are certain quirks that must be accepted to.

Anyone know if O2 are going to be stocking the HTC Desire HD soon, like December?

Due an upgrade then and want to get the Desire but if the HD is on it's way I would obviously rather have that. I was also taking a look at the samsung galaxy. Is that any good? seems like it matches the Desire but would you recommend it?

I heard that they weren't getting it but you can get it at places like carphone warehouse with an o2 sim, apparently you can upgrade this way as well according to their site - you just wont be going through o2 direct.

That's what I'm thinking of doing, since my contract is up for renewal now - doesn't it come out on the 10th?

A little help plz

I recieved my new phone (HTC Smart F3188) and I don't think the sim has been activated.

On the card, which the sim card was once attached to, it has the mobile number, sim serial number and something that looks like a code that needs to be activated before the date given. I need help with the activation process.

Many Thanks in advance

Oh, also, do any of you know if this phone can 'freely' surf the web? Like by connecting to access points or whatever

Edited by s14N-m4R13
Automerged Doublepost

A little help plz

I recieved my new phone (HTC Smart F3188) and I don't think the sim has been activated.

On the card, which the sim card was once attached to, it has the mobile number, sim serial number and something that looks like a code that needs to be activated before the date given. I need help with the activation process.

Many Thanks in advance

Oh, also, do any of you know if this phone can 'freely' surf the web? Like by connecting to access points or whatever

What network are you on? You generally need to ring a specific automated number that's printed in the card the SIM came in.

Oh thank you thefish. I phoned them as you said and they sorted all the error codes.

Do you (or anyone) know how to download things of the internet on htc smart phones - be it mp3 or mp4's (preferaby the latter)?

Can you like download anime episodes and blah blah...

Also can you connect to other hotspots (wifi or whatever) and get free internet surfing?

I tried researching but I can't find much detailed info so I would be very grateful if anyone could help.

thanks peeps

You should be able to download it on a PC and transfer it. Your phone supports:

Audio supported formats:

.aac, .amr, .qcp, .mid, .m4a, .mp3, .wma, .wav

Video supported formats:

.mp4, .3gp, .3g2, .m4v

There should be plenty of guides and stuff on the HTC website:

http://www.htc.com/europe/help_howtos.aspx?p_id=311

You won't be able to get free internet from hotspots as the HTC Smart doesn't have WiFi.

As I stated earlier , there is indeed a HTC device that is exclusive to O2. Unfortunately if you were after an android handset you're out of luck as the exclusive device is in fact the HTC HD7.

Ouch. They missed out on the Desire HD and Samsung Omnia 7 just to get the HD7? It's getting absolutely slated in the tech press as being a pretty poor handset (badly made, bad screen, bad camera, poor battery life).

Well many outlets are saying the HD7 is just the HD2 in a new body. Exactly the same chip, almost the same amount of memory. Quite a meh device.

That's upsettings. Don't want a windows phone.

Looks like I'll have to get the Desire non HD.... Guess I may get a slightly cheaper deal now though :)

What's everyone's opinions on the Desire Z? I really like this phone and plan to get it really soon. I'm not a fan of pure touchscreen phones and do like qwerty phones. My only problem is that hinge. Everyone is complaining about it being loose. I did have a go in the shop and it was a bit loose but nothing that would bother you in normal use, but still it plays on my mind ...