NEurope

I have an ipod

I have a cybershot camera

I have a DS

A phone is a phone is a phone. I don't need anything flash, hence why I chose the RAZR v8.

iPhone, i have a feeling, is going to replace my iPod, despite having a tenth of it's capacity.

It's just sooooo good, and it's nice to use just one device instead of like 2-3. Saves needless pocket bulges too ^_^

Anyone know how I can hack my RAZOR to allow for custom ringtones, My carrier has disabled it to try and make people buy their ringtones.

Anyone know how I can hack my RAZOR to allow for custom ringtones, My carrier has disabled it to try and make people buy their ringtones.

Ah...the Motorola V3 (or "I can't spell Razor because retarded spelling is somehow cool" if you prefer) . I can't think of a single reason (other than marketing) why that phone (and the later "I can't spell Razor because retarded spelling is somehow cool") became so common. It was really fugly, had no features above other phones and was just absolutely massive.

Anyway, IIRC the only way you could do it (I think I has a similar problem with my Motorola C651) is to make loads of edits to the phone's firmware (It voids the warranty...but considering it's an old phone it probably doesn't matter), and getting it wrong can mess up your phone.

my next phone is gonna be the Meizu M8 (MiniOne)

Pretty much blows the iphone out the water..

CPU: ARM11 667MHZ + video decoder / encoder video CODEC

Memory: built-in 128 MB DDR SDRAM cache

Standard: GSM + EDGE (M8), W CDMA / HSDPA / GSM / EDGE (M8 w)

Operating System: Based on WIN CE6.0 core WINDOWS CE FOR MEIZU M8

3.32 inches TFT VGA + (720 × 480) 16000000 color touch-screen viewing angle

Camera: After the first 30 W + W 300 pixels (AF, without flash)

Battery: 1500mAH

Others:

WIFI, Bluetooth PIN +30 expansion interface (TV OUT \ LINE OUT, it will be able to handle a mouse and keyboard, which can be expanded DMB, GPS, etc.)

Features: basic communication functions, audio players, video players (720 × 480 30 / S H263/264 MPEG2 MPEG4 WMV video formats such as mainstream, including rm, rmvb), 30 / S-video recording, WIFI wireless Internet access, DMB digital TV / GPS navigation (requires hardware support for the expansion and download map), the light control (under the automatic adjustment of light intensity screen brightness), the direction and acceleration sensors (sensors can be automatically adjusted with the state display the direction and acceleration sensors can be used Shake hands with do - that is, functions or used for the game.

Pricing

estimated selling price: 4GB/1990 yuan, 8 GB/2390 yuan, 16 yuan GB/2990

Others:

WIFI, Bluetooth PIN +30 expansion interface (TV OUT \ LINE OUT, it will be able to handle a mouse and keyboard, which can be expanded DMB, GPS, etc.)

Features: basic communication functions, audio players, video players (720 × 480 30 / S H263/264 MPEG2 MPEG4 WMV video formats such as mainstream, including rm, rmvb), 30 / S-video recording, WIFI wireless Internet access, DMB digital TV / GPS navigation (requires hardware support for the expansion and download map), the light control (under the automatic adjustment of light intensity screen brightness), the direction and acceleration sensors (sensors can be automatically adjusted with the state display the direction and acceleration sensors can be used Shake hands with do - that is, functions or used for the game.

Pricing

But you know what it's not? . . . an iPhone.

Well, you win the thread for most useless post. :blank:

Others:

Pricing

It's shocking how companies can do such blatant rip offs and get away with it.

Yeah it has better specifications, much cheaper and no contract is needed to enjoy it.

but hey it isnt an iphone.

this is the Boxu T32 which sells for about £160

boxut32123ed5.jpg

here are the specs

Development platform: TI’s OMAP 850

• Operating System: Windows 6.0 mobile pocket PC Support 26 languages

• RF frequency: GSM / EDGE; / GSM900/DCS1800/PCS1900

• LCM: TFT 3.2 “QVGA 240 x 320 resolution

• frontcamera of actual 3 megapixels ,behind camera of actual 2 megapixels ,both CMOS high-definition camera 1Gb+512 Mb RAM (DDR) system memory

• built-in Bluetooth 1.2, support A2DP standards and the use of Bluetooth stereo headphones

• built-in GPS satellite navigation system, Wi-Fi wireless Internet access

• support for Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel, PPT, Html, enable you to do online business anywhere

• agenda, music, photos, business cards and other information easily synchronized with the computer (ActiveSync4.5 synchronization software)

• built-in Media Player, with PC synchronization, support up to 2G expandable storage.

• JAVA module enables you to play a superior number of video games,bluetooth enables you to play with many people

• Internet Explorer high-speed Internet, the stock market, MSN, QQ

• stocks online, Skype, Kingsoft, network television, calls firewall, voice, calendar, a variety of third-party plug-300

• three sensor design Light Sensor: sense light intensity around to adjust screen brightness; Movement sensors: When phone users hand the phone horizontally t,it automatically adjust to cross-screen display; Nearly Sensor: Sensing th phone user put the phone beside the ear, it automatically close the screen to save energy

Here is a PPT showing what it does..

http://www.mediafire.com/?8nsyddj2m9u

Worst thing about it is that it's an iPhone rip-off. And like all cheap imitations, it'll never be better than the product it's aping despite a spec sheet with a few upgrades. It's the user experience that counts and Apple are simply the best at giving users a great, simple, clean and reliable environment in which to work and play.

But meh.

new samsung phones are looking cool,

0282_samsung-g600.jpg

this one's pretty ^_^

It's outdated technology. I'm surprised Apple haven't announced the next one yet.

It's outdated technology. I'm surprised Apple haven't announced the next one yet.

Er, no it's not.

It doesn't have 3G. It does have WiFi. And it's the most advanced touch screen OS i've ever seen. Full internet, built in 8-16GB flash. Unlimited data on the contract.

Also compare this with other 'smart phones' out there and the difference is staggering in terms of design, OS, ease of setup and use.

Not really seeing something that's outdated bar no HSDPA. It manages to do a lot more things a lot better than any other device i've used bar my mac.

It's nearly a year old (and for a massive £900 over 18 months), and the touchscreen is nothing more than an initial wow.

you say the OS is the best - does that mean they've now allowed 3rd parties to make stuff for it?

If it wants to be a do-it-all device then it needs a much better camera - even the standard phone camera from when it was released will do. And it NEEDS side buttons for mp3 controls.

The only reason i bought my N95 was because of its stupidly crazy hackable firmware.

Hell, i've changed mine twice, changed my phones ID number, added applications to unlock features in the phone.

I love the fact the shitty 3 Megapixel camera in the front of my phone is better than the one on the iPhone. Also, it has that lovely 5MP one in the back... Can you even send MMS on that thing? I heard you can't.

Come on Takeo, no matter how good an OS is, it doesn't mean its supar amazing. I've heard it lacks alot of features people need. As for the whole... phones replacing MP3 players? Doubtful. Cameras are still better than anything a phone can give you, MP3 players are still better than most phones MP3 players (iPhone included).

Saying that, my N95 is annoyingly good as a media player. It plays freaking Xvid, you can subscribe to Podcasts and it'll download via GPRS/3G/WiFi. It has basically unlimited storage due its Micro SD support. It has radio, visual radio, full internet on it (although this the case, its still way, way too small of a screen to use as a propper browser.)

Phones cannot replace devices with specific functions because you don't design phones around them. Things are just bolted on.

Thing is trying to argue the fact that one good phone is better than another good phone is like doing the same with items of clothing!!!

Unlike pcs where usually its a desk and chair setting where the computer has to fill a mold, phones being more mobile vary with life styles e.g. I wont get a N95 caus i am a lazy person who doesnt charge phones a lot and goes out to clubs! so i dont want a n95 bulky bulge in my jeans just the normal kind! or do i want to be taking an iphone which costs me my house and kitchen sink caus i know i will drop the bugger.

Just a nice and old w810i, 2m, expandable memory for drunken photos and nice tactile buttons to send the odd drunken text!!1

NB: that phone suits it for when i go out!!! normally i use a k850i about uni and generally life

and i wouldnt want to impose those phones on any of you caus it wont suit your life styles. So those hell bent on converting people to get their phone, just give up...

It's nearly a year old (and for a massive £900 over 18 months), and the touchscreen is nothing more than an initial wow.

you say the OS is the best - does that mean they've now allowed 3rd parties to make stuff for it?

If it wants to be a do-it-all device then it needs a much better camera - even the standard phone camera from when it was released will do. And it NEEDS side buttons for mp3 controls.

Have you seen the Press Conference that happened yesterday? They had Super Monkey Ball running on the iPhone, full 3D graphics and Wii like controls... 3rd Party apps will be here by June and they look amazing. Oh and about about the Camera, yes when i heard 2MP i was dissapointed but have you seen the quality of the shots? The pictures in my clear out thread were taking from my iPhone and they look miles better than any other 2mp camera. You can get crap 2mp cameras and good 2mp cameras, the iPhone is a very good one.

And yes the OS is the best, the iPhone is an amazing phone. Yes expensive i will give you that but it's not outdated at all. It's only been out 7 month and still ahead of anything on the market. The only thing it's outdated in at all is 3G.

I'm not sure what your on about slide mp3 controls but when the phone is locked you can have a shortcut menu for mp3's like pause, track forward and back etc.

@ Jordan, your wrong about the iPhone can't replace a mp3 player.

It's an iPod touch and a phone combined. It's already done.

Replacing and combining are completely different things :p

As for the Super Monkey Ball thing? So what? My N95 has Open GL support with games already on it and it has an accelerometre just like the iPhone has...

You make it sound like everything on that device is totally unique as far as i can tell only the interface makes it special.

It is pretty much the interface and the marketing, there's nothing else special in the iPhone or the iPod Touch.

Neither are technically ground-breaking and both are out-spec'd by competing products. The only thing that makes them unique is the OS, which is, to be perfectly honest, outstanding!

What i will say though is I wouldn't buy an iPhone, there are far better buys around. To me combining an iPod Touch and a mobile phone is a better idea, less of a problem if something gets nicked/broken and (in some cases) better functionality :)

Replacing and combining are completely different things :p

As for the Super Monkey Ball thing? So what? My N95 has Open GL support with games already on it and it has an accelerometre just like the iPhone has...

You make it sound like everything on that device is totally unique as far as i can tell only the interface makes it special.

For once I'm with Jordan on this :-P

The iPhone SDK thing all seems very nice and I'm happy for you guys to finally be able to use third party apps, but ultimately you've still not got a good open platform for other people to write programs for. Why? Let me explain.

On the Nokia S60 phones (i.e. N series) and Windows Mobile phones, third party apps are pretty much allowed to come from anywhere and you can install whatever you want. The developers are allowed to make whatever apps they want using whatever compatible tools they want. Simple.

The iPhone, however, is still limited with 3rd party apps. All the applications *have* to come through iTunes and be checked by Apple to ensure there's no 'unsuitable content' in there. All the applications also have to use Apple's libraries which is a pain, it just means that the likes of Firefox, KDE (not the whole desktop obviously), Second Life, ScummVM, Quake, Opera, Flash, Java etc. won't be able to be ported to the iPhone because they rely on their own custom libraries being available.

Essentially, while opening things up a fair amount, Apple still have control over what goes onto an iPhone and what doesn't. It's a shame, I was looking forward to getting ScummVM on my iPod Touch. I guess I'll just have to stick to using it on my N95. ScummVM rules : peace:

I'd rather Apple check the apps they're selling or making available for free on the iPhone Appstore then ending up with bloated software that chuggs up my iPhone making it as unreliable and prone to problems as my N95 was/is.

The iPhone is a iPod replacement, know why? Smart playlists. Smart playlists make it possible to set up live updating rule sets to enable you to make the most of the limited space on the phone. I have over 25GBs of music on my iTunes but i don't miss taking it all with me due to the smart playlists. My 80GB iPod classic now sits at home waiting to be sold and my pocket has one less buldge in it.

The camera is surprisingly good, it may be 2MP but the optics in it, and the screen must be the things combining to make the pictures such good quality, i'd say it was a better camera than the 5MP N95 one just cos the pictures on the N95 were blurry or artifaced or fucked up a bit in some other way, i could never use it as a replacement for my 6MP camera.

People need to think that MPs don't really matter when it comes to high quality images, beyond around 7-8MP it's pointless and it's the optics that really count, which is probs why the iPhones camera, while bad on paper, is surprisingly good.

I agree with all of Caris' statements above. You won't know how an iPhone can change your life till you use it for a week. You bring less stuff out with you, are constantly entertained wether it be reading the news, listening to stuff or watching films or sending your emails to save you time when you're at home. It's simply awesome.

And the SDK is going to bring native apps to the thing such as Spore in november i believe. Even more awesome ^_^

I don't really know any place other than home that I'd use all the WiFi stuff.

I have 2GB storage on my phone. I probably listen to 20% or less the music on it. It's more than enough. Plus I can pause/play/skip/change volume without taking it out of my pocket. Which is the best thing about it.

As AeroScap said, it's more what the user wants from it. I personally don't know anyone willing to pay that price for features they'll use once or twice.

I'd rather Apple check the apps they're selling or making available for free on the iPhone Appstore then ending up with bloated software that chuggs up my iPhone making it as unreliable and prone to problems as my N95 was/is.

If you pay attention to what you're putting on your phone then there will be no problems.

I don't really know any place other than home that I'd use all the WiFi stuff.

I have 2GB storage on my phone. I probably listen to 20% or less the music on it. It's more than enough. Plus I can pause/play/skip/change volume without taking it out of my pocket. Which is the best thing about it.

As AeroScap said, it's more what the user wants from it. I personally don't know anyone willing to pay that price for features they'll use once or twice.

If you pay attention to what you're putting on your phone then there will be no problems.

Apple likes its products to be fool proof and constantly high quality, so of course they wouldn't let anyone put anything on their phone.

You can play pause and skip track without taking the iPhone out of your pocket using the iPhone earphone with the mic/clicker thing which answers calls, hangs up, play/pause and skip track with 2 clicks. And the playback volume can be controlled with the volume adjustment buttons on the top left side of the iPhone, not on the iPod touch.

I found that the clicker/mic combined with the volume control being on the side allowed me more control and far easier control of music playback than on my iPod classic.