NEurope

Bring him round - it's much easier to deal with if it's a tangible thing. Like, if your mum meets him it will be less like "My son likes to have sex with men" and more like "My son is in a nice relationship with a nice guy."

(Assuming your bf is nice).

Bring him round - it's much easier to deal with if it's a tangible thing. Like, if your mum meets him it will be less like "My son likes to have sex with men" and more like "My son is in a nice relationship with a nice guy."

(Assuming your bf is nice).

You make such a good point, I couldn't agree more. It's just that initial conversation starter that I'm afraid of. I mean, considering my parents are totally aware of me being gay, I shouldn't feel at all like I have to hide Chris from them. Though a good friend offered to allow us to go round hers for the afternoon, which was completely lovely. However as she put it, "I'm not sure how my mum would feel about me harbouring two gay men for the day :p". It seems ridiculous that I would even consider doing such a thing. If I'm happy, then my parents should be also.

This post seems pointless considering I'm basically just talking to myself. Ignore.

Edited by Slaggis

Can I just say that being a gay teenager has many disadvantages :/

Although, I do feel lucky and a little special to be a gay teenager but due to the fact of living in a small village with little or no other gay people it is difficult watching all my peers going out to night-clubs and having romantic and probably sexual relationships while I stay at home most days and essentially become a recluse from society.

Boo hoo! I need to work on my social skills :S

Although, I do feel lucky and a little special to be a gay teenager but due to the fact of living in a small village with little or no other gay people it is difficult watching all my peers going out to night-clubs and having romantic and probably sexual relationships while I stay at home most days and essentially become a recluse from society.

I know how you feel, I too grew up in a town that had little or no other gay people in it. I was once having my hair cut in just a local salon by (what I believe to be) the only other gay guy near me and a good friend and I overheard a old women walk in and say to the women behind the desk; "Ohhh, I'd rather not have the gay one do it," I assume the question was something to with who cuts her hair, "I don't know where he's been". Then she tried to laugh. I know my friend heard it as well but he did not say anything, he's quite the professional. I would have loved to say something though, I didn't. Alas.

Anyway it is no surprise that the gay communities collect in the large cities, while I'm not "scene" at all I do like the comfort of knowing there are like minded people on my door step and this is partly the reason why I hope to live in Sydney (Or Melbourne, maybe) for many years to come once I've finished my degree. Everyone is just so accepting.

Also, don't forget, being gay has some advantages. No surprise pregnancy's and fantastic hair!

I feel the same but try not to get down about it! Whilst going to clubs and hooking up with people might sound like fun, it's really not all that great. I'm in pretty much the same boat as you and it can make you feel a bit left out. Like at work, I purposely haven't told anyone i'm gay because they are the type of people to judge but the amount of times ive been sat their awkwardly at break times whilst they talk about ''fags'' and such is insane.

Stay positive though, there are many upsides and when you find that special guy it will all be worth it.

Man, I sound worse than a corny American teen show.

Secret tape reveals Tory backing for ban on gays

I'm still amazed someone can think this is a remotely justifiable opinion.

Which brings me to a completely off topic point, who the fuck to vote for...

Yeah I saw that...I really thought that was out of their system by now.. clearly not.

Vote Liberal :P

I'm voting Green.

I suggest that before you do that you take a very good look at their views on science. Unless they've changed significantly since the European elections (see, for instance, here), I very much doubt anyone remotely pro-science would want to vote for them. And that's not just me complaining about unchecked support for alternative medicine - they also reject genetic modification and stem cell research.

No, the Green Party changed their policy on stem cell research.

The Green Party acknowledges the existing and potential future benefits to humans and other animals from stem cell technologies, using both adult and embryonic cellular material. These benefits include direct medical advances, improved non-animal testing methods for new medical treatments, and the advancement of knowledge. However, we also emphasize the importance of continuing ethical regulation, adequate government funding, and transparency of research in the areas of embryonic and adult stem cell technologies, to protect donors and the public health.

http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/mfss/mhe.html

And to be fair, making GM food is actually more harmful to the environment as it needs more space apparently, so I'm not surprised they don't condone that.

No, the Green Party changed their policy on stem cell research.

Well that's fair enough then, as far as I can tell I agree with that policy.

And to be fair, making GM food is actually more harmful to the environment as it needs more space apparently, so I'm not surprised they don't condone that.

Well, it really depends on the GM crop in question. I have nothing against sensible restrictions of GM usage, I just think the attitude that GM = bad for no real reasons isn't a very good thing. I would expect the Green Party to hold a view like this, and they definitely have done, although may have now changed.

And I can't find much about their current views on alternative medicine, but what I have found seems to be accepting of it but at least willing to use restrictions and checks. But we're way off the topic of sexuality now...

Actually, they usually needs less. They're often engineered to produce higher yields, thus more crops are produced from the same sized plot of land. And they're also often environmentally friendly since many crops are engineered to produce Bt toxin. This basically removes the need to use as many pesticides, since they produce their own insect-only toxin (harmless to us) - good for the environment.

People who are against GM crops are ignorant and not worth listening to, in all honesty. The evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of GM crops being hugely beneficial and just as likely to transfer plant genes to us as regular crops. I ended up having to research this a few months ago as part of a training program and there really is nothing in the way of conclusive proof that they are in any way harmful.

Hmm I thought I had read somewhere that it was bad for the environment because it took up more space or something...

I can't say with certainty so I may just be fabricating the idea up. Its not really an area that I can say I have much interest in personally so excuse me if I look I'm talking absolute nonsense. :D

I feel the same but try not to get down about it! Whilst going to clubs and hooking up with people might sound like fun, it's really not all that great. I'm in pretty much the same boat as you and it can make you feel a bit left out. Like at work, I purposely haven't told anyone i'm gay because they are the type of people to judge but the amount of times ive been sat their awkwardly at break times whilst they talk about ''fags'' and such is insane.

Stay positive though, there are many upsides and when you find that special guy it will all be worth it.

Man, I sound worse than a corny American teen show.

Ha! Don't worry about sounding corny. It's always great to hear that other people are in the same boat, I tend to forget a lot of the time so it is good to be reminded.

I'm also still in school so that means gay jokes daily(not against me though). It's easy to brush it off though because of how common it is.

Oh and don't worry, I try not to be too negative. A good way of thinking is that every day I get closer to my first relationship. (Now THAT is kinda corny :P)

I know how you feel, I too grew up in a town that had little or no other gay people in it. I was once having my hair cut in just a local salon by (what I believe to be) the only other gay guy near me and a good friend and I overheard a old women walk in and say to the women behind the desk; "Ohhh, I'd rather not have the gay one do it," I assume the question was something to with who cuts her hair, "I don't know where he's been". Then she tried to laugh. I know my friend heard it as well but he did not say anything, he's quite the professional. I would have loved to say something though, I didn't. Alas.

Anyway it is no surprise that the gay communities collect in the large cities, while I'm not "scene" at all I do like the comfort of knowing there are like minded people on my door step and this is partly the reason why I hope to live in Sydney (Or Melbourne, maybe) for many years to come once I've finished my degree. Everyone is just so accepting.

Also, don't forget, being gay has some advantages. No surprise pregnancy's and fantastic hair!

Thanks for your words of wisdom also. I'm glad ye took the time to reply:bouncy:

I've also heard though that Australia isn't the best place for gay people. Surely Canada would be much better? Anyway good luck to wherever you go :grin:

I also agree that being gay has many advantages like you mentioned however secret crushes on straight people is not one of them:hmm:

I also agree that being gay has many advantages like you mentioned however secret crushes on straight people is not one of them:hmm:

Yeah that can be a big disadvantage and one that i've experience a few too many times :P It's especially worse when said person comes to you for relationship advice about their girlfriend, it's like ''If your on the rocks then why not... GO OUT WITH ME?!'' :P Of course I didn't actually say that but y'know.

You learn to deal with those things though and it often turns out that the person you liked wouldn't have been good for you anyway!

Thanks for your words of wisdom also. I'm glad ye took the time to reply:bouncy:

Your very welcome solider! :smile:

I've also heard though that Australia isn't the best place for gay people. Surely Canada would be much better? Anyway good luck to wherever you go :grin:

I don't know who you have been talking to but Australia is one of the most gay-friendly communities. Sydney is often known as the gay capital of the southern hemisphere. Oxford Street is the vibrant center of the city and rainbow flags line the street. As someone who lives here take it from me, San Francisco aside, I think Sydney might be the best place in the world to be gay in.

Ahh, we've all been there. Unfortunately I found the easiest way to deal with this is total separation. There is nothing you can do about it.

Just a quick note:

The Ten Best Places In The World To Be Gay In - Guess who's number 2! : peace:

The Five most improved places for gay tolerance

The Five least gay tolerant places

The ten best places to live as gay is literally a list of the cities that are "Yes, you're stunning" anyway.

Paris? Yes.

Barcelona? Of course.

Copenhagen? Adds so much.

London? Everything in its right place.

----------

I came out to my parents three years ago today.

Do you celebrate it at all?

Just curious since you have obviously remembered it well. Although that could just be your intelligent Oxbridge brain talking.

Do you celebrate it at all?

Just curious since you have obviously remembered it well. Although that could just be your intelligent Oxbridge brain talking.

Friday 13th April 2007.

I remember it, because on the night I told them I had forgotten it was my sister's 18th birthday (she was on holiday in America), and the morning after I remember thinking "Oops, that was a really bad time to say it"; taking her limelight etc.

And then I realised it had been Friday 13th, and superstitious little me cried.

I don't "Let's have a party!" celebrate it, because my parents still act as though I've never told them (Although I have political arguments sometimes with my dad, re: gay marriage etc), but I treasure it in my mind, because it was my first step towards defiance of shit I don't believe in.

Edited by chairdriver

I never knew Jamaica would be on the list of worst places to be gay simply because I had a Jamaican friend who found out I was gay and he seemed fine with it. He did say a few times though how I changed his opinion of gay people and really opened his eyes which made me quite proud :)

I should really be more aware of other cultures :P