Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

"Meaningless Post" thread changes.

Shorty

I say if you want people in the IRC channel, fix that darn chat button! I doubt alot of people here use IRC, and the channel needs a bit of activity going on in it, I've popped in a few times, but it seems to just have people in there not saying much. I also think there IS a difference between an IRC channel and forum chat, as ReZ pointed out in that you can see everything that went on, it's not so much 'here and now' and a little while ago in the past.

Actually the chat room is more active now than it has been for a while :) And if you can get the java applet to load, just type /join #cube_europe once you're in. Alternatively, grab an irc client. We are working on fixing it so it works for everyone.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the chat room is more active now than it has been for a while :) And if you can get the java applet to load, just type /join #cube_europe once you're in. Alternatively, grab an irc client. We are working on fixing it so it works for everyone.

Perhaps someone should make a thread about the irc channel, where we can help people get in.

Edit: Okay, you made it... looks like you were working on it before my suggestion...

Greetings all.

Am I right that the main problem from moderators' standpoint is that it's hard to "moderate" a thread so mixed with posts of different nature, especially given the volume of trafic? If so, I can understand. It's a practical problem. On the other hand, do any of you have a philosophical problem with it? If so, I would like to hear it as I don't see one. There is a possibility that I haven't woken up to some aspect of it.

Also, I'm wondering if any of you remember my post covering motivation and reasoning behind the making of MPT. It's a long time ago now. It was when some people voiced their concerns over MPT chit-chat-behaviour "spilling over" to other threads and forums (which is a perfectly valid concern). If there were an understanding in the backdrop of the thread, some part of Shorty's summary which implicates criticism of MPT seems a little 'out of place'. I wouldn't complain though. If it makes practical side of things easier, then such changes may be necessary. I just hope it would not kill off the beauty that emerges out of flexibility. It only works in a relatively 'compact' community like this one. When it gets larger, like a city or a country, flexibility usually leads to anarchy. That's why these days our society seems overly technical to the point of machine-like-cold-heartedness. It is a smaller community's privilege that something like MPT is possible. But I digress.

Without typing out the whole academic side of it all, I would say that the term "meaningless" is more about being "I don't know if you care, but..." rather than a post actually being pointless. A brief conversation out of meaningless bubble thoughts has one of the greatest potency in human interaction, imo. That's why as a person people tend to learn more about one another when out and about shopping aimlessly than, say, in a academic classroom focussing on one specific subject. I can assure you most of bubble thoughts we throw at one another in daily life is often meaningless, but not pointless when it comes to the beauty of interaction. Most people "feel" this by the sense of enjoyment, even if they couldn't put a finger on why. Something of a lost art? Perhaps.

One note I would have on IRC is that, while it tends to be more appropriate for a chat, it is an entirely different medium and the nature of interaction is different. I'm not against it, but it is different in accessibility when you are not used to using real-time chat. The life span of an exchange in IRC is much shorter as well (in general), whereas forum provides a much better format for everybody regardless of lifestyle. A forum is, in short, one of the least discriminating format. I thought the existance of "General Chit Chat Forum" here meant that there was an acknowledgement of this point.

Overall, I'm not too bothered about how it is managed, but the above are my thoughts. Finally, and most importantly, big thanks to all of you who spend your precious time running this site! In all fairness to mods, I think appreciation is too rarely said explicitly.

Doesn't the MPT make the mod's life easier, as every piece of 'spam' is kept within one thread?

I mean, the MPT sounds like a mod's wet dream to me.

Also, well said Flaight. Very well indeed.

Doesn't the MPT make the mod's life easier, as every piece of 'spam' is kept within one thread?

I mean, the MPT sounds like a mod's wet dream to me.

Also, well said Flaight. Very well indeed.

A mod's wet dream (as you put it) is a memberless forum :p

But its still against the rules to spam, so we still have to keep an eye on it. And it doesn't confine it to one place, it just means theres now a hotspot.

And Flaight I'm sure what you said was great but it was long, my head is officially dead and it just didn't go through. Cliffnotes?

• 2 weeks later...
1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!