Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The BBC Finally Gives Us A GOOD Computer Games Show!

Guest Jordan

Holy crap!

From Shacknews:

Ever seen Consolevania ? It's an internet-based video program about games. Episodes tend to come out every month (well, they're supposed to, anyway), and they can be up to an hour long. They're filled with reviews, diatribes, and sketches, and are a whole lot better and funnier than you might expect. A while back, it looked like the guys behind it might be signing a deal with the BBC to get their own televised program, but after months of no news, I assumed it fell through. Looks like that's not the case. A new show, videoGaiden, will be airing on the BBC locally in Scotland and via cable and satellite in the rest of the UK.

"Ditching the ground trod before, videoGaiden will be a perfect fusion of sketch and review, and will do for videogames what Top Gear does for cars--even if you hate the whole gaming world, you'll still find it funny and engaging. And therefore, keep watching. ... This is a show that's serious about its subject, yet still manages to keep its tongue wedged firmly in its cheek."

It's extraordinarily unlikely that the show will ever be broadcast ouside of the UK, so for the rest of us, let's hope for DVDs, eh? It'll be a pleasant surprise if these guys succeed; gaming television today could use some variety. In the meantime, check out some episodes of Consolevania.

Its going to start Nov 4th on BBC2 at 11PM.

Guardian Source:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2005/10/20/bbc_gets_game.html

All i can say is, thank the gods. BBC, i love you.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four days isn't all that old JonSt :P Besides, i only found out when it popped up on my Shacknews RSS. So in that case, its quite new.

Four days isn't all that old JonSt :P Besides, i only found out when it popped up on my Shacknews RSS. So in that case, its quite new.

If i had been wearing the same pair of socks for four days id consider that old socks, just like i consider this old news.

If i had been wearing the same pair of socks for four days id consider that old socks, just like i consider this old news.

There's always one.

If there's nothing for you to discuss then why bother?

Anyway, I can't see it ever toping Gamesmaster! :wink:

I'm in the current process of pitching a entertainment show to a few indepedent producers for C4 and the Beeb. It's a show involving and concentrating on the film and games industry. Quite a lot of interest has been shown and a pilot was filmed in April.

:D

Anyway, I can't see it ever toping Gamesmaster! :wink:

Gamesmater... *sigh* the good old days, and the only really good video game related TV show. I miss it.

The rest have sucked tbh, though I never really saw Bits so can't say anything about it. I really hope BBC can make this decent enough.

Surely it's gotta beat Cybernet,
I actually think Cybernet does an OK job; all the consoles covered evenly, console news, events covered such as E3 and each episode usually has a very up to date trailer or two. And whilst the reviews don't have a score, they show you a good amount of the game and the comments aren't that bad.

However; when i watch it i know that i could do a much better job and I'm usually miles ahead of them on info, but for the casual gamer (who doesn't check internet news or read magazines etc...) it's pretty good.

This new programme sounds like it could be good though,

and i LOVE Top Gear!!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!