NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Donkey Kong Country Series

Percentage was only 56%... I basically need to find the secret rooms on every level!! :D

I found a fair few along the way, but I guess never all of them on one stage. Question... does it remember the secret rooms you've found, or do you have to visit them all on one playthrough of a stage? Also, does collecting the KONG coins add to the percentage?... I guess not because I pretty much got most of them.

Honestly, there weren't many lowlights... a few of the levels were a bit frustrating, some were a bit boring... wasn't a big fan of the temple levels.

Perhaps the bosses were a bit of a let down, maybe when you compare them to Super Mario World/Super Metroid (haven't played) or a few other games around at the time... they were pretty easy and not all that imaginative, but I was happy enough with them!

Oh and Winky! His jumping is aweful and he actually makes levels harder IMO!

Highlights!... Rambi, Enguarde, Squawks, Expresso!! LOVE!!

Some challenging/frustrating levels that I can look back upon fondly now!

Just a brilliant platformer with plenty of charm... and despite thinking the graphics had really aged when I started it up, after a while I'd completely gotten past that and actually thought what a great looking game it was again. Once you're absorbed it takes you back to the good old days and I was appreciating it so much more. Who needs all these complex graphics of nowadays 'ey?!

Enjoyed the ending (good to see a game showing you all the characters again during the credits... I always used to really enjoy that!) and Cranky's comments, and DK and Diddy scrapping :D

Great music aswell!... especially the classic DK theme on the opening level!

Yeah I'll definately download DKC2... but may break it up with something else inbetween.

Edited by Retro_Link

Percentage was only 56%... I basically need to find the secret rooms on every level!! :D

I found a fair few along the way, but I guess never all of them on one stage. Question... does it remember the secret rooms you've found, or do you have to visit them all on one playthrough of a stage? Also, does collecting the KONG coins add to the percentage?... I guess not because I pretty much got most of them.

Unlike the sequels that are just keeping count of whether you got the coin or not, the first DKC does require you to hit all the secrets in a level on a single run for it to count towards completion - and when levels like Orangutan Gang has 5 bonus rooms (either 4 or 5, I think it's 5) you have to make sure to remember to get them all.

Look for the exclamation marks at the end of level name on the world map as the sign for whether you found them all.

The K-O-N-G letters don't do anything other than give you a life. In Donkey Kong Land for the Game Boy, you had to collect them all just to save your game - someone should have got fired for that brainwave.

Yeah I'll definately download DKC2... but may break it up with something else inbetween.

Incorrect. You will play the game uninterrupted to avoid taintation.

Prepare to play the greatest video game ever made.

does it remember the secret rooms you've found, or do you have to visit them all on one playthrough of a stage?

Afaik, it does remember. I've never had to do a full sweep of a level to complete it- you can just go in and mop up any bonus rooms you missed. When you get them all in a level then on the map screen the level name will have an exclamation mark after it.

Incorrect. You will play the game uninterrupted to avoid taintation.

Prepare to play the greatest video game ever made.

I just meant I might play a different game first (perhaps finish Okami), so that I go into it feeling refreshed... and it not just feel like more levels from DKC.
Outrageous (but close)

You can even tell its better from the front cover.

donkeykong2_snes.jpg

donkey-kong-country-3.jpg

I dunno, monkeys in a hovercraft on some wild rapids!... but I never did like the idea of Kiddy Kong much back in the day... if I download DKC3 I hope my opinion changes.
Afaik, it does remember. I've never had to do a full sweep of a level to complete it- you can just go in and mop up any bonus rooms you missed. When you get them all in a level then on the map screen the level name will have an exclamation mark after it.
Hmm... Capt. Falcon seems to think that feature's only in DCK2 & 3. I presume you have to actually complete the level aswell right? not just find the bonus rooms.

Hmm... Capt. Falcon seems to think that feature's only in DCK2 & 3. I presume you have to actually complete the level aswell right? not just find the bonus rooms.

In DKC you can go into a level you have already completed, with one or none of the bonuses, get one of them (you don't even have to "complete" the bonus room itself, you can fail it), then start + select out of the level and it will be saved. Trust me.

Obv you have to go to Candy to permanently save your progress though.

After blasting through Super Mario World yesterday, I'm quite tempted to go back to Donkey Kong Country to find the rest of the bonuses.. something I have never really bothered with before :heh:

I'm kinda in the mood..

After blasting through Super Mario World yesterday, I'm quite tempted to go back to Donkey Kong Country to find the rest of the bonuses.. something I have never really bothered with before :heh:

I'm kinda in the mood..

You're good mates with darksnowman and you HAVEN'T done this before? Im surprised Stevo is still speaking to you! :D

You're good mates with darksnowman and you HAVEN'T done this before? Im surprised Stevo is still speaking to you! :D

I've actually done some of the game for him... ::shrug:

Donkey Kong Country goes on occasionally when he is here (very occasionally :indeed:) and by the time the mocking of my skills is complete, it's usually time to change game :eek:

The 'snowman knows those games far too well.. but he'd have been disgusted at the filth I was producing yesterday during my playthrough of Super Mario World after all these years..

Edited by nekunando

It seems I stand corrected. Sorry Retro... my bad.

^ No worries!

I'm up to 70% now, I've found the hidden rooms on all of World 1 & 2, and once I've found them all on Forest Frenzy and Orangutan-Gang I'll have done World 3.

I could never get into DKC3, the second is by far the best!

I completed it countless times on my SNES but only got up to the 'Bee/rollercoaster' place on my Wii, which is my favourite. BRAMBLE BLAST FTW

(DKC3 is still amazing) but anyway;

So in preparation for DKCR's imminent release, I have been replaying the original trilogy. I had to use a walk through to get the last few bonus barrel/coins, but thats fine.

So I did the insanely hard Lost World animal level and I gazed in awe as

The Kremling mouth opened up (I wasn't exactly sure what happened) and then the boss fight itself, was glorious, hard but not too hard, and the glorious sun set and final image.

Brilliant.

Now onto DKC3, the second best game in the series. :p

Gonna need to do some heavy walk through after my first play through I think.

Retro, how is DKC2 going?

^ How did you forgot about this thread?!... You Major in this thread!

I've decided to give DKC2 a go after DCKR because I want DKCD to feel new and fresh, and not like I've already played a fair amount of Donkey Kong already when I boot it up. I want to enjoy DKCR for what it is, any comparisons can come later me thinks.

Edited by Retro_Link

(Unacceptable still)

I did DKC3 yesterday. Well started it. A few observations.

- A few of the later levels I had next to no recollection of. Which is very curious. I definitely completed it multiple times. I think I must have replayed loads of times and not finished because the first 3 or 4 worlds are as clear in my memory as anything, but the levels on the last world were practically new to me.

- The bonus barrels are MUCH MUCH easier to find in this one than DKC2. I found every one from like the first four worlds. Need to go through a walk through for the last few worlds as I've missed approx ten.

- The actual bonus' themselves are MUCH harder then DKC2 (and rightfully so) with most of them going down to the time limits last few seconds.

- The boss fights definitely feel more generic in terms of the actual characters. How they aren't big versions of other enemies annoys me, but meh they're tricky and fun!

Should get to the lost world later. Where do you get the red flower? Can't remember exactly what to do to raise the lost world so need to walkthrough it anyway.

Its not my fault. Some of them are so impossible. Like the cannon ball one on Web Woods. I wouldn't have found that in ten thousand nano years.

Its not my fault. Some of them are so impossible. Like the cannon ball one on Web Woods. I wouldn't have found that in ten thousand nano years.

I did it as a kid and I can do it now. :blank: DKC 2 is the hardest of the three but that shouldn't mean you need to resort to a guide, me old kong. I'm sorry ReZ, you are teetering on the brink of being ostracised from the DKC gang.

Did you do Swoopy Salvo with or without a guide?