N-Europe

The Grindhouse Split!

International split controversy

Planet Terror and Death Proof posters for the Netherlands.

During the 2007 Berlin Film Festival, Glen Basner, responsible for international releases for The Weinstein Company, made clear that the film would be split in two for release in non-English speaking countries. The films would be called Grindhouse: Planet Terror and Grindhouse: Death Proof, and would be released approximately two months apart. According to the poster artwork, the fake trailers for Death Proof will be directed by Rodriguez, while those for Planet Terror will be by Tarantino. No mention has been made of the trailers by Roth, Wright, or Zombie. While The Weinstein Company has stated that the film will be split because non-American audiences have no experience with the concept of double features, many European fans see it as an attempt to increase profits by forcing audiences to pay twice for a film that is shown as a single film in the United States. Tarantino reacting to the the possibility of a split in a foreign release, stated "Especially if they were dealing with non-English language countries, they don't really have this tradition...not only do they not really know what a grind house is, they don't even have the double feature tradition. So you are kind of trying to teach us something else." European fans of Tarantino have expressed their outrage in film forums and with online petitions, with many suggesting they will boycott the films or possibly illegally download them.

Looks like trouble but am i reading this right does that apply to Ireland and England? or just the non-english countries?

I don't think so, the trailers I have seen have it as a single movie in the UK, and the talk of splitting them in the Netherlands is fairly old news.

Doesn't really bother me anyway as I have an unlimited cinema pass which allows you to see as many films as you want for £11 a month

So you think that effects us then?

Fuck off i refuse to go see it now.

Thats the way I feel completely...

I don't think so, the trailers I have seen have it as a single movie in the UK, and the talk of splitting them in the Netherlands is fairly old news.

Doesn't really bother me anyway as I have an unlimited cinema pass which allows you to see as many films as you want for £11 a month

True, I saw a couple of UK trailers in the cinema, quite a long time ago though, before 300 and such like...and they were as a similar film and people I was with were confused by it.

Have definitly heard rumours it will happen in UK and the fact that they are considering re-releasing in the US as two films points towards it happening worldwide.

From IGN:

US, April 9, 2007 - Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse seemed like a "sure thing" for The Weinstein Co. The edgy flick has two great genre filmmakers who have cult followings, it's gotten great media coverage, solid reviews, and the studio spent $30 million on marketing. But the exploitation flick-inspired double feature opened with just $12 million. Audiences just didn't show up for it.

And now, TWC honcho Harvey Weinstein is pondering splitting the film in two, inserting addition footage, and re-releasing them individually -- that's straight from the horse's mouth to DeadlineHollywoodDaily.com. That was already the plan for the European release, but we'll see the same scenario play out in North America if Harv deems it doable.

"First of all, I'm incredibly disappointed," Weinstein told the site. "We tried to do something new and obviously we didn't do it that well. It's just a question of how is it going to hang in there. But we could split the movies in a couple of weeks. Make Tarantino's a full-length film, and Rodriguez's too. We'll be adding those 'two missing reels' that's talked about in the movie."

Did the film's 3 hour and 12 minute running time keep moviegoers away? Or was it just a poorly timed release? Weinstein cites the former saying, "Our research showed the length kept people away. It was the single biggest deterrent."

We'll have more on the fate of both Grindhouse flicks as it's revealed

Did the film's 3 hour and 12 minute running time keep moviegoers away? Or was it just a poorly timed release? Weinstein cites the former saying, "Our research showed the length kept people away. It was the single biggest deterrent."

Didn't seem to stop people with Apocalypse Now or the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Seems an odd reason. I would have though people would be happy seeing two films for the price of one and having a full evenings entertainment. ::shrug:

Ridicolous and they think people are going to take kindly to that after months advertising trailers 2 for the price of 1...Im so bad. I'm SOO watching this in the most illegal way

You're gonna steal the master copy? DO IT!!!

I'll be disappointed if they split it, but if it means 2 seperate films that are better for it then I won't mind so much

The problem is the seperate parts of the film add up to nothing special imho...there is nothing great about either film. You need the complete arse numbing 3h12m to make it interesting imho.

Neither film on its own warrants a cinema ticket purchase.

I was dubious about going to see the film on that basis alone. Neither film will add up to much individually. Whole thing just looked really over the top and silly.

Its like someone telling you to buy a new bands album because its a "concept" album. Who cares if its still shit right?