Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The album listening party thing sounds like a pretty cool idea. Whether or not there are enough people on the music thread to make it work is another question of course...

--

Got the Marmaduke Duke (The guy from Biffy Clyro's other band) album the other day, which I am rather enjoying. Good fun, kinda different as well. The bloke from Biffy is much better than their other singer though.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think we should rally loads of peopel to do the listening party thing (and evne the movie party, harder though), despite what their musical tastes might be. However, it would probably be advised to choose albums that have SOME depth or discussion available to them.

Yeah, I think we should rally loads of peopel to do the listening party thing (and evne the movie party, harder though), despite what their musical tastes might be. However, it would probably be advised to choose albums that have SOME depth or discussion available to them.

Agreed.

Sorry, Haggis :p

Agreed.

Sorry, Haggis :p

I was thinking of him, but not in a mean way :heart:, just that no purely pop-punk stuff, it should have variety etc.

In The Zone by Britney Spears, in my eyes, would be eligible. It's great. The first and last time she sounded like she was a proper artist. Then she went crazy. But yeah, nothing else by her would really be appropriate, since people would slate it or rate it, with not middle ground, and no discussion.

I was thinking of him, but not in a mean way :heart:, just that no purely pop-punk stuff, it should have variety etc.

In The Zone by Britney Spears, in my eyes, would be eligible. It's great. The first and last time she sounded like she was a proper artist. Then she went crazy. But yeah, nothing else by her would really be appropriate, since people would slate it or rate it, with not middle ground, and no discussion.

How pointless. We can only choose albums you actually approve of?

Wow.

high_horse.jpg

Edited by Slaggis

How pointless. We can only choose albums you actually approve of?

Wow.

Not me personally, but ones that can be discussed.

No offence (you know I like pop and whatever more than most here), but a lot of discussions of more trashy, fun, partying pop music here by you and others is just "LINE IN ALL CAPITALS!" then someone else goes "ANOTHER SONG LINE IN CAPITALS!" "WOO!" etc.

I'm not dissing you or anything (no malice behind what I say),but for the purposes of interesting discussion, not everyone would find it interesting/appealing.

But maybe an album you choose wouldn't be interesting to myself or others? Surely that's the entire point of it, to listen to something you might not otherwise have listened to an comment on it.

If I were to choose something from Britney (Oh, and I love how you seem to assume she's basically all I listen to or that I only listen to "Pop-punk" as you put it) then why the hell would it actually matter? If the discussion is "Yeah, shit" then it's still some form of discussion is it not?

But maybe an album you choose wouldn't be interesting to myself or others? Surely that's the entire point of it, to listen to something you might not otherwise have listened to an comment on it.

Well I'd try and choose something that people might not know/have overlooked, that I think is diverse or interesting. To me, I can tell when an album is "interesting"...maybe I'd be completely wrong, but that awaits to be proven or not.

If I were to choose something from Britney (Oh, and I love how you seem to assume she's basically all I listen to or that I only listen to "Pop-punk" as you put it) then why the hell would it actually matter? If the discussion is "Yeah, shit" then it's still some form of discussion is it not?

I didn't assume anything. I know that's not all you listen to.

That's just grasping at straws though. You know what mean by "interesting discussion".

I'm not going to "ban" any suggestion (If I'm even going to run this), but I just ask to consider what would inspire discussion/surprise people (if it is someone Britney-esque, who people have a preconceived idea about), that is interesting.

That's just grasping at straws though. You know what mean by "interesting discussion".

I'm not going to "ban" any suggestion (If I'm even going to run this), but I just ask to consider what would inspire discussion/surprise people (if it is someone Britney-esque, who people have a preconceived idea about), that is interesting.

Well surely "interesting" is subjective?

Oh Jesus H.

Something that will inspire interesting, maybe conflicting (even better!) discussion. I might choose Drawing Restraint 9 by Bjork, an overlong soundtrack that is very abrasive, just cause it'll be interesting to see what comes of it in people's reactions to it.

I don't even like it much personally. But the reactions I'd be interested in.

I'm just saying choose an album that will surprise/inspire discussion. Even one that is unusual or abrasive and uncomfortable.

But as I say, choose anything you like. I'm sorry for attacking Britney Spears.

]

But as I say, choose anything you like. I'm sorry for attacking Britney Spears.

Do fuck off, Paj. I'm not getting defensive over you "attacking Britney", I'm getting defensive over you being utterly definitive with your posts, and amazingly belittling.

For heavens sake...I could just lie, and say that I thought any album chosen would inspire the same amount of interesting discussion, but I didn't. Sue me.

I even stressed I wasn't trying to attack you at all. (or "belittle you")

I listen to Britney Spears, too, ffs!

For heavens sake...I could just lie, and say that I thought any album chosen would inspire the same amount of interesting discussion, but I didn't. Sue me.

I even stressed I wasn't trying to attack you at all. (or "belittle you")

I listen to Britney Spears, too, ffs!

I don't care if you attempted to stress it. You made it sound like the whole "Oh, I don't mean to offend" when someone obviously does. I just hate that you make your posts sound like they are the definitive answer to something, and anyone else that makes an opinion is obviously amazingly wrong when compared to yours. I'm not even aware if you know you do it, but it just comes across as though you think you're completely superior just because you listen to Bjork and whatnot.

I'll say it again, I'm perfectly aware you listen to Britney. This was less about Britney, and more about how you come across in your posts (from my perspective, anyway).

--

Hands is annoyingly...not amazing. Though, Remedy is so so so good. Easily the best song on the album, in my opinion.

yeah but the book film club idea fell apart because people didn't pick stuff worthy of proper discussion.

What if I re-boot the movie thread, and craft a list of films all by myself? Different weekends of the month would be allocated differently 'weighted' films; one weekend would be more casual modern hollywood stuff, another would be a 60's-80's movie, another would be a foreign movie... Dan. let's talk about this.

@ Dan Dare - To be fair, most of the movies that were watched and talked about would have made for good discussions but no one really brought much to it. People just completely forgot about watching them and then they'd see the thread and be like 'oh shit, I'll go watch that' and then forget to discuss it.

Anyway, a music whatever thing Paj mentioned would be interesting but his point about crappy pop-punk could be labelled at him for choosing something like Tori Amos, which is guaranteed to be chosen to listen to. I've nothing against the woman but it's a bit hypocritical to go out of your way to spite someone like Britney Spears from Haggis' suggestion when you'll pick something generic as well. Generic isn't the right word but I'm hoping this has gotten across in a non-arrogant way because I know it'll easily bite me in the arse. Personally, if it were to happen, I'd happily give anything chosen a listen.

@ Jay - Do it! Bump the thread. Perhaps include some of the movies from the current/defunk list in the new one if you do, like Waking Life or something because a good discussion could come off of that.

I don't care if you attempted to stress it. You made it sound like the whole "Oh, I don't mean to offend" when someone obviously does. I just hate that you make your posts sound like they are the definitive answer to something, and anyone else that makes an opinion is obviously amazingly wrong when compared to yours. I'm not even aware if you know you do it, but it just comes across as though you think you're completely superior just because you listen to Bjork and whatnot.

I'll say it again, I'm perfectly aware you listen to Britney. This was less about Britney, and more about how you come across in your posts (from my perspective, anyway).

I'm sortof aware. But I think you exagerate it as a victim.

I did not mean to offend. Why on earth why I try to offend someone? That's like I get off on people being hurt, when I actual fact, I don't. Like a normal person. I saw when I wrote that, that it has the connotations of just being a phrase to ry and lessen an insult, despite the person meaning the insult. It wasn't an insult, and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. But think what you want, this is an internet arguement.

Hands is annoyingly...not amazing. Though, Remedy is so so so good. Easily the best song on the album, in my opinion.

I agree, completely. :awesome:

The listening party idea is a failure right from the off, because as seen in Music Warz in which you only had to listen to one song you didn't know or like, in this you'd be listening to an entire album.

Basically, not enough people would do it. It'd be Paj, chairdriver and 2 forumites posting "I love." about the Tori Amos album they've listened to for the 2000th time, or Dan Dare, Daft, myself and mr-paul with something along the lines of "DVNO now, man I love this song"

Nice idea though.

Anyway, a music whatever thing Paj mentioned would be interesting but his point about crappy pop-punk could be labelled at him for choosing something like Tori Amos, which is guaranteed to be chosen to listen to. I've nothing against the woman but it's a bit hypocritical to go out of your way to spite someone like Britney Spears from Haggis' suggestion when you'll pick something generic as well. Generic isn't the right word but I'm hoping this has gotten across in a non-arrogant way because I know it'll easily bite me in the arse. Personally, if it were to happen, I'd happily give anything chosen a listen.

Because Tori Amos and Britney are so similar, with Tori really being generic within her genre.

:o

Unless by "generic", you mean synonymous with myself? That's fair enough, but I get the feeling that's not what you mean. In which case i'll just say lolwut.

Anyway, I was thinking about Moon Safari by AIR for my one, actually, but I think a lot of people know it already. Still, I think it would be perfect, as it has loads of different styles on it.

The listening party idea is a failure right from the off, because as seen in Music Warz in which you only had to listen to one song you didn't know or like, in this you'd be listening to an entire album.

Basically, not enough people would do it. It'd be Paj, chairdriver and 2 forumites posting "I love." about the Tori Amos album they've listened to for the 2000th time, or Dan Dare, Daft, myself and mr-paul with something along the lines of "DVNO now, man I love this song"

Nice idea though.

What an indictment on yourself (and me, as realistically, why on EARTH would I choose an album that chair and I have listened to a zillion times?).

^ I was actually meaning that Tori Amos was synonymous with you. Just couldn't think of the right way to phrase it, clearly shown by the fact that I said generic wasn't the right way to describe it. And I wasn't comparing the two. That'd be stupid. One is an ex teen-age popstar who's hit the rocks and is trying to reclaim her lost fame but won't ever get it and the other is a classical pianist/pop act who continues to bring quality music to the industry with every new album.