• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

Downloaded, will give it a listen a bit tonigh, then more tomorrow. I'm hoping that that's a PJ Harvey cover I spy... (missed)

Nope it;s not. I've tried covering her songs before, but it's awfully difficult as I would always endeavour to make a cover better or at least very different. And I don't have enough instruments to justify it yet. :P

Well I grew up listening to them, and learnt to sing by singing along from the age of 13. The odd twang is to be expected ;)

More than a twang! I might say it's TOO similar. Not only the voice, but the style (of singing) as well.

It's not harming the music, but keeps brining Placebo to mind.

Davey_T; THAT, my man, would be epic. Shorty's a fair ol' fan of the Manchester Orchestra; he ACTUALLY paid for their newest album. He's coming with me to see Brand New so that combo would make for a great date evening.

Started listening to the new mewithoutYou album (thanks Gizmooooo!) and... well track 6 (Goodbye, I!) is, so far, the most similar to their older stuff. First listen through... I'm not really liking the happy-go-lucky bandstand sound yet. I loved the anger with God, and eventual loving submittance in the previous albums and this almost ska-like tone is almost offensive to that notion.

Lyric wise, they're a lot more parabolic with animals and food and have less of an emphasis of "I" and more of a "we"; this communal christianity goes over my head because I don't feel like I'm 'in' on the whole 'woo, god rocks" thing. At least the old albums had conflict. IT'S TOO DAMN HAPPY! At least Yellow Spider on Brother, Sister resolved itself with Brownish Spider, keeping with mewithoutYou's tone of a faith in the unknown... But dammit this one is too camp-fire cheery for me.

Praying it grows, as I hear it's going to be their last album.

Saw the Maccabees the other night at the electric ballroom. Such a good live band, great set. Only let down was no Latchmere....I know you have to move on and go with new stuff but Latchmere should always be there, a great song. Ho Hum still was a great gig. Stood next to Matt Horne for a bit of it too who seemed to be enjoying it.

Currently listening to this:

By the time the album comes out, I'll be bored of half of the songs....

Ok maybe not as they're awesome. Really like this one. Slightly different from the other ones I've heard but different in a good way. Chorus is nice and catchy. Can imagine that being a great song live. Shame I missed them when they were in Glasgow in March.

I'm listening to Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette.

Deservingly one of the greatest selling albums of the 90s. I love how angry she is.

"Now I'm Ms. Fame, now I'm a zillionaire,

You scan the credits for your name

And wonder why it's not there."

A stunning example of semi-breaking-the-4th-wall.

"Now I'm Ms. Fame, now I'm a zillionaire,

You scan the credits for your name

And wonder why it's not there."

A stunning example of semi-breaking-the-4th-wall.

No it's not. At all.

Otherwise every song that isn't a pure story about someone else/not using "I" or "you" "breaks the fourth wall".

@ Paj - crap. Forgot Sonic Youth were going to be on Jools Holland. I was even looking at his site about it not long before the show was supposed to be on. Oh well, thanks for posting that. Haven't listened to them in ages. Good song as well.

Yes. Dragonette (who I was scared would just dissappear after being robbed of the recognition they deserved) are back.

Not quite as immediate as I Get Around, but they describe the upcoming album (of the same name as the song) as a Boy, whereas Galore was a girl. (?)

Just watched Buffy - Once More With Feeling again, and realised just how much I love a couple of the songs on it.

Something To Sing About - Has to be my favourite. I love the lyrics, and when watching it, it's pretty damn sad.

And then obviously the brilliantly over the top Bunny rock song. Whoever thought of making a vengance terrified of bunnies, is a genius.

Bunnnieessss, Bunnieees...IT MUST BE BUNNIEEEESSS!

No it's not. At all.

Otherwise every song that isn't a pure story about someone else/not using "I" or "you" "breaks the fourth wall".

Yes it is, because it's autobiographical of her, and the fact she fell out with a producer/some record-label person. It's like she's written the song knowing she'll get loads of money.

Yes. Dragonette (who I was scared would just dissappear after being robbed of the recognition they deserved) are back.

Not quite as immediate as I Get Around, but they describe the upcoming album (of the same name as the song) as a Boy, whereas Galore was a girl. (?)

I'll probably love after a few more listens.

Recently starting loving this song again:

Incubus - Drive

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Some other transport based goodness:

Deftones - Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Rob Zombie - 2 Lane Blacktop (Awesome film too. Ignore the Rammstein Intro)

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Fear Factory and Gary Numan - Cars

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The Doors - Riders on the Storm

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by Goafer

Yes it is, because it's autobiographical of her, and the fact she fell out with a producer/some record-label person. It's like she's written the song knowing she'll get loads of money.

But it's fictional. It would make sense were it nowadays (since she often references men that dumped her, who then went on to be own financially), but back then it's just a metaphor/whatever for her own feeling of success.

By your logic any song talking about yourself is breaking the fourth wall. "Fictional" or "autobiographical" (which that song isn't). What songs are strictly autobiographical anyway? they're always embellished/added to in some way.

But seriously, it's not "breaking the fourth wall" in any way, shape or form. Or at least not in the sense of "I wrote this song...: etc.

It's not even a musical term, it applies to the stage (and so screen, comics, books etc). Like the asides in Shakespeare. In Hamlet, while the play he arranged for the court is going on (which mirrors the grim events of real life as he knows it, and as such scares the king into thinking his crimes have been discovered), Hamlet says in an aside, "That's wormwood, wormwood." Effectively "ooh burn!", but talking to us, no one on stage.

Just Dance covered by Maximo Park

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The chorus is alright, but otherwise I actually prefer the original. :blank:

I kinda find it a bit annoying when rock/indie bands cover (simple) pop songs. I comes across as almost pretentious. I dunno. It might just be me.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!