• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like Paramore either.

It's just one of those bands. Their music is acceptably OK, but I am genuinely perplexed as to why they are so popular. Coldplay and Green Day also fall into this category.

Sophmore is actually derived from a greek word.

Just saying :heh:

Yeah, most American words are more "correct" than British words.

Like color is technically more correct than colour - closer to the original Latin, color.

It's just one of those bands. Their music is acceptably OK, but I am genuinely perplexed as to why they are so popular. Coldplay and Green Day also fall into this category.

Coldplay and Green Day are a zillion times better than Paramore, but their best stuff is behind them. Never been a Green Day fan, I prefer their early stuff I've heard. Same with Coldpay. I liked Yellow and The Scientist. The rest are a bit drab.

It's just one of those bands. Their music is acceptably OK, but I am genuinely perplexed as to why they are so popular.

I think we all know why Paramore is so popular...

Although for the record, I quite like them in a "no need for any deep though, just have some music" sort of way.

While I'm here, have some Rage:

@ Villan - On your list of your favourite 20 No. 1 tracks on a debut album, For A Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic isn't on Paramore's debut album, All We Know Is Falling, but instead on their sophomore effort, Riot!. Still, it's a better song than the opener to AWKIF.

Whoopsie, my bad. Didn't realise.

Great...now I can't think of a replacement... :blank:

Yeah, most American words are more "correct" than British words.

Like color is technically more correct than colour - closer to the original Latin, color.

Who gives a shit? They can't pronounce "Birmingham" or "Edinburgh". They phail! EPICALLY!

I think we all know why Paramore is so popular...

Although for the record, I quite like them in a "no need for any deep though, just have some music" sort of way.

Y'know, that's why I like them. I don't think they're brilliant or anything, I just like them.

Paramore are fucking heinous. I'm trying to think of some witty way to make them analogous to fecal matter, but I'm running dry for some reason.

These days, everyone seems to think a few palm muted chugs and trite overly dramatic choruses can pass for music.

Well, anyway, listening to Crack The Skye. Musicians who's flatulations contain more musicality than Paramore's lifespan of output will.

Edited by The Bard

For crying out loud. Ok, for the record, I know many of you hate Paramore but jesus, I was merely mentioning them in regards to Villan's list and not starting a discussion on them. Everytime they are mentioned in here, people get so pissy over them and moan. Ok, I get it. You don't like them but do you really need to keep going on like record on repeat? Not really no. So stop moaning about a band you hate and talk about ones you do and if someone mentions a band you hate, don't attack them or the band as it's just juvenile. Some people are so elitist over music it's unbelievable. Glad we all like different things otherwise we'd be the most boring bunch of people ever.

Rant aside, been listening to Fascination by Alphabeat. Yes, late to the party again in regards to this song but it's how I am with music sometimes. And anyway, I checked them out a year or so before they even released an album or before they were known by a big population so that makes up for it.

Speaking of music...new Fun song today :D And it seems like some kind of album (which appears to be called 'Aim and Ignite' judging from the ID3 tags) release date will be announced soon. Been waiting about a year for it now.

That is all.

Rant aside, been listening to Fascination by Alphabeat. Yes, late to the party again in regards to this song but it's how I am with music sometimes. And anyway, I checked them out a year or so before they even released an album or before they were known by a big population so that makes up for it.

I love some of the album, it's just plain fun. 10,000 nights is my favourite, love it to bits.

For crying out loud. Ok, for the record, I know many of you hate Paramore but jesus, I was merely mentioning them in regards to Villan's list and not starting a discussion on them. Everytime they are mentioned in here, people get so pissy over them and moan.

that's because they suck goats.

Ok, I get it. You don't like them but do you really need to keep going on like record on repeat? Not really no.

Technically no, but it's fun.

So stop moaning about a band you hate and talk about ones you do and if someone mentions a band you hate, don't attack them or the band as it's just juvenile.

feel free to defend them, but I intend to keep treating this thread as a place for debate, not some list focused fanboy dribble fest.

Some people are so elitist over music it's unbelievable. Glad we all like different things otherwise we'd be the most boring bunch of people ever.

Damn straight we are. Music is the greatest thing ever created by man, do it some justice people :)

actually some pretty catchy pop there. Abba esque.

I'm all for the debating of the merits and demerits of particular pieces of music, bands or acts but the constant beratement of a band when it's merely mentioned in passing is genuinely annoying and completely unnecessary. That's really my point. It was mentioned in passing and not meant as a discussion point over which people could project their hatred for the band. But then I guess it's something that'll never change. Anyway, back to the music.

And yeh, there is a very Abba-esque vibe to Alphabeat. They have that catchiness to them that Abba possessed. Something you don't really see much these days in music.

I think we all like a little debate here and there but the elitist bullshit gets boring very quickly. I understand people like certain types of music but why do they feel the need to post about it every 5 minutes. Some people also seem to be under the impression that music is only good if it isn't liked by the majority. They like it if 99 people do but as soon as 100 do it's crap.

Anyway been listening to some old REM stuff today and i'm still hopeful they can recapture some of that old magic. Accelerate was a good album but it's still nothing on Monster or New Adventures in Hi-Fi

I hate how when you try not to listen to a song, you somehow find yourself hearing it constantly. I turn on the radio, and I hear this. I turned on the music channels earlier, and this was playing on the first channel I went on.

The chorus is frustratingly catchy. I cannot get the beat out of my head.

I think we all like a little debate here and there but the elitist bullshit gets boring very quickly. I understand people like certain types of music but why do they feel the need to post about it every 5 minutes. Some people also seem to be under the impression that music is only good if it isn't liked by the majority. They like it if 99 people do but as soon as 100 do it's crap.

Not a great argument. To use a fairly overused analogy, ask 100 people what book they prefer, Harry Potter, or Heart of Darkness, 90 people will say Harry Potter, but that's because most people are unintelligent, lazy douchebags who are unaccustomed to the idea of art as anything other than something to fill an idle hour. But then, I suppose you could argue that different people listen to music for different reasons.

Either way, you should at the very least be able to defend your tastes, and show that some thought actually went into them. If you can't then what the fuck are you doing on a forum? You know, the whole point of which it is to actually talk about things, rather than make some banal statement and pray that some forum member with a similar taste lavishes you with a reply. Yeah, I suppose you could post whatever self important, masturbatory top ten list you want, but you probably shouldn't be under the impression that anyone actually gives a shit about it.

juvenile

Zwaaa!

And finally:

http://odeo.com/episodes/10340213

Edited by The Bard

Guest Captain Falcon

Not a great argument. To use a fairly overused analogy, ask 100 people what book they prefer, Harry Potter, or Heart of Darkness, 90 people will say Harry Potter, but that's because most people are unintelligent, lazy douchebags who are unaccustomed to the idea of art as anything other than something to fill an idle hour. But then, I suppose you could argue that different people listen to music for different reasons.

In all fairness, if you asked 100 people which of them they preferred, 90 probably wouldn't have read HoD and so would be forced into picking HP. I'm sure 100 people who've read both wouldn't give such one sided results.

In all fairness, if you asked 100 people which of them they preferred, 90 probably wouldn't have read HoD and so would be forced into picking HP. I'm sure 100 people who've read both wouldn't give such one sided results.

I still see nothing wrong in preferring something over something else, even if that thing is considered to be better. I hate that people feel the need to constantly insult other people's tastes just because they're listening to something that isn't considered up to their standards.

Why care so much? Post what you think is brilliant, and let other people do the same. People enjoy music for different reasons...

Edited by Slaggis

Either way, you should at the very least be able to defend your tastes, and show that some thought actually went into them. If you can't then what the fuck are you doing on a forum? You know, the whole point of which it is to actually talk about things, rather than make some banal statement and pray that some forum member with a similar taste lavishes you with a reply. Yeah, I suppose you could post whatever self important, masturbatory top ten list you want, but you probably shouldn't be under the impression that anyone actually gives a shit about it.

Zwaaa!

And finally:

http://odeo.com/episodes/10340213

I agree with your second paragraph but I don't think you really got what i was trying to get at. It's not how many people like a certain song but how someone's perception of it suddenly changes because more people like it. Who gives a fuck who likes it? If you do then that it all that counts. Fuck Boris down the road.

Guest Captain Falcon
I still see nothing wrong in preferring something over something else, even if that thing is considered to be better. I hate that people feel the need to contantly insult other people's tastes just because they're listening to something that isn't considered up to their standards.

Why care so much? Post what you think is brilliant, and let other people do the same. People enjoy music for different reasons...

Don't get me wrong, I'm in agreement that the music thread should be about discussing music (good and bad by your own/others tastes), I just thought Bard could have used a better analogy to stress his point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in agreement that the music thread should be about discussing music (good and bad by your own/others tastes), I just thought Bard could have used a better analogy to stress his point.

I wasn't actually aiming my post at you...in fact, I have no idea why I quoted yours and not Bards. *awkward silence*

Guest Captain Falcon
I wasn't actually aiming my post at you...in fact, I have no idea why I quoted yours and not Bards. *awkward silence*

...shatters silence...

No problem :)

...queue all new awkward silence...

But don't you think the fact that HoD isn't as widely read as HP is pretty much testament to peoples attitudes to begin with? My point was, one is easy going but is ultimately a fairly contrived soap opera, and the other is really pretty difficult to read, but actually leaves you with fodder for thought. And by thought I mean of things with actual significance, not the banalities of plot minutia, and pointless pontification.

Similarly with music, and to use Paramore as the example; they're fairly embarrasing, disingenuous, thoughtless crap, filled with melodrama that you can probably bop along to if you're...well, a douchebag. They rely on nothing but the isolated cliches of the genres of music that they're derived from. I've always felt that music is supposed to be evocative or create a mood. It's not just there to sound "pretty" all the time. In keeping with my previous analogy: Paramore are like a shit book that continually asks you to suspend your disbelief without any kind of payoff, just the sense that your time has been criminally misspent.

To be fair, I do like/have liked some fairly dire music, and I'm perfectly fine with that. The difference is that I know it's shit and I don't take it seriously.

I agree with your second paragraph but I don't think you really got what i was trying to get at. It's not how many people like a certain song but how someone's perception of it suddenly changes because more people like it. Who gives a fuck who likes it? If you do then that it all that counts. Fuck Boris down the road.

I think it comes from the fact that when you're young, like early teens young, you become attached to certain types of music because you feel it adds to the whole idea of your "identity," and as such you feel that it's uniquely important to you. So if people begin to flock to it if it becomes popular there's bound to be some indignation. Anyway, most people grow out of it, because it is pretty fucking tiresome.

I still see nothing wrong in preferring something over something else, even if that thing is considered to be better. I hate that people feel the need to constantly insult other people's tastes just because they're listening to something that isn't considered up to their standards.

You know...people on here are such hypocrites, they say shit will be all boring if people all have the same tastes, yet whenever anyone says anything negative about something that they enjoy, they say "why are you insulting me." Of course, this ties into what JonSt said about people and their tendancy to hate a band or a song once it becomes popular, and my reply to it. When I say a band is shit, I'm not insulting you. If you feel that a particular band is so intrinsic to who you are that any affront to it equates to a personal slight, then you are, quite franky, a buffoon.

If people didn't call bullshit on each other from time to time, we would probably still think the world was flat.

Guest Captain Falcon

It was more the fact that you seemed to be labeling an uniformed person as a simpleton because of it.

I agree with where you're coming from, I just think you could have worded it better to avoid insulting so many people with such a sweeping statement.

I think what Bard is saying is mostly some true. Some people here tend to think an insult on their favourite band is a personal attack on them or their so called identity. Haggis also has the right idea but I dislike people constantly labeling their posts about certain artists being the best, music has no measurable scale. I think that's why people get ticked off and start slagging other peoples taste. You like what you like, even though others might think it's turd.

Just so I'm clear, you're saying that we shouldn't take offense at you not liking the same music as us? It's pretty hard when you say things like this:

Similarly with music, and to use Paramore as the example; they're fairly embarrasing, disingenuous, thoughtless crap, filled with melodrama that you can probably bop along to if you're...well, a douchebag.

I read that as you calling me a douchebag. I don't pretend that Paramore is anything less than pop rock wimpyness, but I like it.

Whats wrong with "bopping" along to Paramore and the like anyway? Sometimes people just want a catchy tune or something mindless. I agree that some people can get too into mindless songs and believe there's something more to it. But who are we to judge? If they get some sort of pleasure from listening to it, either in a trivial way or some deep meaning, how is it a bad thing? You said yourself that "I've always felt that music is supposed to be evocative or create a mood.". Maybe people can see something in their music that you can't. Thats the great thing about being human, different things mean different things to different people.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!