N-Europe

Recently I have discovered this is the best album ever made

Manic_Street_Preachers-The_Holy_Bible_album_cover.jpg

Who agrees?

I have never heard anything by the Manic Street Preachers save their cover of Umbrella. Which wasn't very interesting, but then I'm not goona judge them on that. :smile:

But Jenny Saville gets them props though. She is for the win.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard anything by the Manic Street Preachers save their cover of Umbrella. Which wasn't very interesting, but then I'm not goona judge them on that. :smile:

But Jenny Saville gets them props though. She is for the win.

Hahahahahaha, you'd be a tart if you based their whole career on that cover.

As for the album, I love it, but it's not even my favourite Manics album. Gold Against The Soul and Everything Must Go are better albums, imo.

You'll be pleased to know then that in Boyzone's new video, they're giving Stephen Gately a male love interest.

*shudders at the mention of Boyzone in general*

I wouldn't say I'm pleased, because it's a shit song and band, but it's good that they chose to have a guy in it.

-----

Now that you mention it, there's a severe lack of gay music. Like there's Elton John and stuff, but he doesn't write songs about men, he just writes ambiguous love songs.

Like, it's actually a really big gap in the market - I've never heard a love song by a man written for another man.

Shotgun I'm pioneering!

I wouldn't say I'm pleased, because it's a shit song and band, but it's good that they chose to have a guy in it.

-----

Now that you mention it, there's a severe lack of gay music. Like there's Elton John and stuff, but he doesn't write songs about men, he just writes ambiguous love songs.

Like, it's actually a really big gap in the market - I've never heard a love song by a man written for another man.

Shotgun I'm pioneering!

Well, how would you know if the song was written for a man or woman? Unless the words "he" or "she" were used in it. There's probably more songs than you think. Just because it isn't overly explicity doesn't mean it's not there.

Both great albums but IMO The Holy Bible is just better and the genius of Richey Edwards' lyrics on this album is just amazing.

On a related note they're making the next album using left over lyrics from Richey and apparently it's going to sound musically like a follow up to The Holy Bible.

Both great albums but IMO The Holy Bible is just better and the genius of Richey Edwards' lyrics on this album is just amazing.

On a related note they're making the next album using left over lyrics from Richey and apparently it's going to sound musically like a follow up to The Holy Bible.

But, even Everything Must Go had lyrics from Richie, and that was released after he died. Small Black Flowers in the sky is one of those songs, I think. I just think Gold Against the Soul is killer. Particularly with Sleepflower opening. One of the greatest opening riffs in rock 'n' roll history, imo.

Yeah, I've heard that, too. Can't wait, to be honest. It's going to be like...well...like the second coming.

Well, how would you know if the song was written for a man or woman? Unless the words "he" or "she" were used in it. There's probably more songs than you think. Just because it isn't overly explicity doesn't mean it's not there.

Yeah, there are probably alot of songs that were written to a man, but the fact of the matter is that none spring to mind when I try to think.

Why is there no "I Kissed A Boy?" (although there probably is, since like everyone and their dog is covering Katy Perry atm). There is Gay Bar, but that's really a joke song.

*Goes to write an uncliched song with gay themes*

EDIT: There's Antony & The Johnsons, who have many songs with strong transgender themes, but no songs about gay love.

Yeah, there are probably alot of songs that were written to a man, but the fact of the matter is that none spring to mind when I try to think.

Why is there no "I Kissed A Boy?" (although there probably is, since like everyone and their dog is covering Katy Perry atm). There is Gay Bar, but that's really a joke song.

*Goes to write an uncliched song with gay themes*

EDIT: There's Antony & The Johnsons, who have many songs with strong transgender themes, but no songs about gay love.

Straight off, what about T.A.T.U? All the things she said.

Maybe you're not looking hard enough. If your first example was I kissed a girl, then I really fear for you. :heh:

It's kinda ironic, how that post was sandwiched inbetween posts about the Manic Street Preachers. Especially about the lyrics of Richie James/Edwards. It's like poetry.

Straight off, what about T.A.T.U? All the things she said.

Maybe you're not looking hard enough. If your first example was I kissed a girl, then I really fear for you. :heh:

Ironically, neither Katy Perry nor t.A.T.u are actually lesbians.

Anyway, lesbianism sells records, male-on-male doesn't.

I wish Sigur Ros actually did real lyrics. The front guy is gay (and is hot - I love his lovely hair). They are awesome - I am overblown when I listen - and I love the fact they did that video with the two boys who start kissing during a football match.

Rufus Wainwright's 'One Man Guy' springs to mind...and 'Gay Messiah'.

Infact will go listen to him now.

(amusing anecedote; his father, Loudon Wainwright (also a musician) wrote a song about him when he was a child called 'Rufus Is A Breast Man' (or something similar) because he enjoyed his mother's milk so much (as a baby obviously). Irony lols)

Ironically, neither Katy Perry nor t.A.T.u are actually lesbians.

Anyway, lesbianism sells records, male-on-male doesn't.

I wish Sigur Ros actually did real lyrics. The front guy is gay (and is hot - I love his lovely hair). They are awesome - I am overblown when I listen - and I love the fact they did that video with the two boys who start kissing during a football match.

Does it actually matter if the song is written for a heterosexual or homosexual lover?

And, if Sigur Ros did real lyrics, then...well...they really wouldn't be Sigur Ros, then. They are who they are.

I can't say it's ever been anything that bothers me. I mean, most of the time, you can interpret lyrics and words in different ways. So, if you look at something like "When you say nothing at all" then, it could mean a friend, a lover, etc.

Kele from Bloc Party is bisexual, I think.

Freddy Mercury springs to mind, too. He may not be around, but he's still a huge influence. There's so many.

Thats a point. I Still Remember. About having underage (think they're meant to be 15...or I made that up in my head) homosexual sex.

Granted it doesn't implicitly say in the lyrics its male on male but what do you want? "I have a penis, so do you, lets get it on, then play Guess Who?" Kele has stated before in interviews it was about another man.

I didn't say there were no gay singers, I'm just saying there's a severe lack of gay themed songs.

Yeah I was kinda just briefly summarising in an incorrect way.

Thats a point. I Still Remember. About having underage (think they're meant to be 15...or I made that up in my head) homosexual sex.

Granted it doesn't implicitly say in the lyrics its male on male but what do you want? "I have a penis, so do you, lets get it on, then play Guess Who?" Kele has stated before in interviews it was about another man.

Yeah I was kinda just briefly summarising in an incorrect way.

Yeah, you're exactly right. I remember reading up on that, as well. And, to top it all, it's such a beautiful song. Reminds me of the past, though.

Still, I think the best songs are the ones where you have some idea of what they mean, but it can be adapted for so many situations. Bloc Party's lyrics are exactly like that. So Here We Are could be about a failed relationship, or about a drug addiction.