NEurope

It's definitely a different experience from the song itself. I love the "Let's make a sandwich!" and the fact Buck's Pussy Wagon transcends universes in the name of revenge. Not enough blood for The Bride, but she'd be proud.

sandwich.gif

Anyone spot Command and Conquer, Star Wars, Dune references?

EDIT: Oh Razz did.

A stunning video.

The song feels so much better now I've seen the video...the image I had in my mind before was a shit club and stuff. This adds so much.

I loved "I knew she didn't have a penis!"

The video is awesome. The song is actually fairly good, too (except for Beyonce's voice...it doesn't really suit this song).

You Make It Easy by Air is my most skipped song on iTunes (22 times).

It's because when I turn on my iTunes, I click randomly on the first thing I see, which is invariable Air or Adele (because I have them ordered by artist), put on shuffle, and then press skip.

Chair circling back to Jenny Lewis. Have you listened to her album with the Watson Twins? I believe I asked you on facebook ages ago but you didn't respond. :red:

Chair circling back to Jenny Lewis. Have you listened to her album with the Watson Twins? I believe I asked you on facebook ages ago but you didn't respond. :red:

Yeah, I have it.

I don't like it as much as her other stuff, but it's nice. Apparently it was really successful in the US? I don't really see how its any better or more accessible than Rilo Kiley or her solo album though.

Happy (Reprise) stuns. Handle With Care is my favourite song too.

Rabbit Fur Coat is my favourite. It was used wonderfully in Nip/Tuck, but unfortunately its not on YT (the N/T usage).

But yeah, I prefer the other albums but was just wondering. Its a nice album to dip into now and then.

Can't get that damn Paolo Nutini song out my head, 10 out of 10.

Make it stop.

Yeah the Scottish sure can't talk properly can they?

Tell me about it, I can't even understand a word he is saying and I'm a Jock!

Got my tickets Latitude festival! Small headliners this year but suits me. Not much been announced so far but a lot of the bands and comedians I like are playing so got my ticket pronto.

Lineup so far:

http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/lineup/index.aspx

It will be my 4th time attending. It's such a chilled out lovely festival, Don't think I can ever face going back to reading/leeds again....

I've also been getting into the XX lately and as you'll see they are playing Latitude so I'm over the moon!!

VCR:

Lady Gaga Telephone References:

"Batman": Classic '60s-era TV series starring Adam West — animated "Smack!" and "Wroom!" graphics call to mind the Dark Knight's "Pow!" and "Zonk!"-assisted fight sequences.

"Caged Heat": Prototypical chicks-in-prison flick. Gaga's schlocky, sexually charged jailhouse is ripped right from this 1974 feast of beefed-up guards, brawling babes and naked flesh.

Captain America & Wonder Woman: Iconic crime-fighting comic book superheroes. Beyoncé's stars-and-stripes uniform during her post-murder-spree dance-sequence riff on the Captain's color scheme and the Woman's silhouette.

Diet Coke: Refreshing, sugar-free carbonated beverage, dangerous when coupled with Mentos. Doubles as Gaga's impromptu hair-curlers during video's "catfight" sequence.

Doom: English crust-punk band that burned brightly from 1987-1990, faded away, then reformed this year. Their logo is visible on Gaga's studded leather jacket during same sequence.

Double-Breasted Drive-Thru: Logo seen on cup in Beyoncé's P---y Wagon. Does not actually exist, though it could be a reference to the "Double D's Drive-Thru" made (somewhat) famous on FunnyOrDie.com.

Germanotta, Natali: Gaga's younger sister. Looks eerily similar to pre-The Fame Gaga. Also looks eerily like a de-thawed Snooki. Appears in the video's prison scenes.

enhanced-buzz-9897-1268428101-11.jpg

Hermaphrodite: Rumors that Gaga was a hermaphrodite were widespread in 2009. They are jokingly referenced by one of the prison guards who, after stripping Gaga in her jail cell, remarks, "I told you she didn't have a dick."

"High and Dry": Single off Radiohead's 1995 album The Bends. Two videos were filmed for the song, one of which is set in a diner very similar to the one in "Telephone." The fact that death (and contemplative drinking of coffee) is involved in both is also noteworthy.

Jackson, Michael: Late, great King of Pop. Gaga pays tribute to him by breaking into an MJ-esque shuffle after being bailed out of jail.

"Kill Bill": Quentin Tarantino's two-part martial arts epic. Uma Thurman's garish P---y Wagon reappears as Gaga and Beyoncé's getaway mobile.

LaChapelle, David: Photographer/director whose hyper-saturated work is clearly a touchstone for much of the video, particularly the scenes that feature Gaga wrapped in electric-yellow police tape.

Lava: Majestic female Great Dane, sister of the late Rumpus. Both featured prominently in Gaga's "Poker Face" video and Lava has since worked with Gaga in "Bad Romance." She is visible in the diner sequences in "Telephone."

"Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels": Guy Ritchie's stylized take on the crime genre. The quick-cutting, sound effect-heavy diner murder scene is vintage Ritchie.

Madonna: Undisputed pop legend. Gaga has teamed with her in the past (on "Saturday Night Live"), and her short blond tresses in the prison dance sequence seem like a direct homage to Madge's hairstyle in the "Vogue" video.

Meyer, Russ: The campy king of sexploitation cinema. Top-heavy women in lingerie, the mix of female violence and sensuality, the often shoestring-budget aesthetic — all this and more points directly at Meyer.

"Natural Born Killers": Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis' serial-killing satire. With the diner's dusty locale, Gaga and Beyoncé's gleeful massacre and the send-up of news media reportage, "NBK" has its bloody fingerprints all over "Telephone."

Page, Bettie: Exotic pinup queen of the 1950s. Her short-banged look is mirrored by Beyoncé in the "Telephone" video (and, for that matter, the "Video Phone" clip too.)

"Pulp Fiction": Quentin Tarantino's Oscar-winning gangland revelation. From the diner setting to the casual "Honey" pet names that Gaga and Beyoncé exchange, Tarantino's 1994 gun-and-drug-soaked adventure pops up again and again in this music video.

Radio KUK: Fictional station heard on the P---y Wagon's radio. Could be an homage to the "Grand Theft Auto" franchise, or KLON radio, the station that makes an appearance on the Queens of the Stone Age's 2007 album Songs for the Deaf. Or we may be reaching a tad.

Rodriguez, Jai: Former "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" culture expert. Makes a cameo as a TV reporter following the carnage inside the diner.

Semi Precious Weapons: Gaga's pals and tourmates. Appear in the diner sequence, where they are poisoned.

"Thelma & Louise": Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon's female-empowerment road movie. As Gaga and Beyoncé clasp hands and drive off into the unknown, there can be no mistaking the allusion to this film's speeding-car-off-a-cliff shocker of an ending.

Twain, Shania: Canadian-born pop-country star. The leopard skin outfit she wears in her "That Don't Impress Me Much" video seems to have directly inspired Gaga's getup towards the end of "Telephone," when she performs in front of the Pussy Wagon.

WNS News: Fictional news outlet that employs Jai Rodriguez. Perhaps a nod to New York's famous 1010 WINS news radio station, which Gaga undoubtedly heard every time she leapt into a cab. Then again, perhaps we're reaching here.

Others are manga/anime One Piece and the lyrics to “Telephone” in Swedish in the news.

d1d5d4a7.jpg

Edited by Dante

Not exactly references...most of those are just observations of possible influences, many are nonsense.

^ That reminded me I need to listen to their/his (?) new album. I have a cover of Possibly Maybe by Bjork he/they did, and his voice really annoyed me, but I've heard great things.

"We proved you can be serious musicians AND dress up...nobody talks about Lady GaGa's music."

I laughed. Need to check out Goldfrapp's new album as a matter of.

Although finally gotten around to listening to The Family Jewels today :)

So I finally got around to watching Telephone (10 minutes of my time is precious...except for when I should be sleeping obviously). I admire her doing something untraditional, shame the song is so lame. It could quite easily be a middle-of-the-road Eurovision entry.

And I'm kind of torn. It bugs me when music videos are padded out with superfluous plot. I don't mind a bit but 50% of that wasn't music (other than maybe having the beat in the background but doesn't really count). Just one of those things that bug me. Like music being played in the cinema before a film. I may like the music, but its not what I'm there for. Anyway yes, torn. Because of that and because the actual music leaves me colder than a witch's teet.

I think Gaga is one fad I'm never going to get into.

Ah well.

So I finally got around to watching Telephone (10 minutes of my time is precious...except for when I should be sleeping obviously). I admire her doing something untraditional, shame the song is so lame. It could quite easily be a middle-of-the-road Eurovision entry.

And I'm kind of torn. It bugs me when music videos are padded out with superfluous plot. I don't mind a bit but 50% of that wasn't music (other than maybe having the beat in the background but doesn't really count). Just one of those things that bug me. Like music being played in the cinema before a film. I may like the music, but its not what I'm there for. Anyway yes, torn. Because of that and because the actual music leaves me colder than a witch's teet.

I think Gaga is one fad I'm never going to get into.

Ah well.

You just have to accept that she makes quite bad/mediocre music (/Telephone is the second/third best on the album).

I personally like the whole deviancy from the done pop thing. Why should a music video only be 4 minutes long? If it's worth watching, I'd prefer stuff was added to make it more worthwhile. She's twisting tradition for her own lovely ways. One of the reason she stuns is because she has the audacity of huge to have a 10 minute video; she could have just released a generic "I'm in a club dancing looking sexy" video - and we'd all have made no comment and left not nonplussed - but she isn't that shit.

Yes.

This was a lot more entertaining a video than what a video based purely on the song would have been like. Literally set in a club, about phones. :p

Yeah, that song was pretty terrible. And Lady Gaga's face is beginning to annoy me. I guess its some Pavlovian thing where I see it and am immediately accosted by memories of flamboyantly homosexual men, and ditsy bints hailing her "music" as the greatest thing ever, repeatedly. Boring after a listen or two. Predictable. Can we move on, plz?

I guess I'm just in a bad mood if I don't get my quota for brutal aggression from music for a couple of days. It's not that I don't like other music, it's just that anger is the core of my being. =p.

Yes.

This was a lot more entertaining a video than what a video based purely on the song would have been like. Literally set in a club, about phones. :p

Hmm, I suppose, but then it would have been less annoying, since decryptophiles all over then internet wouldn't have been relentlessly trying to find some pretentiously pseudo artistic connotations in it. HINT.

Lets go back to listening to Joanna Newsom for a while........*dreamy grin*

HINT.

I haven't...if anything I've debunked them (Dante's post/s).

Lets go back to listening to Joanna Newsom for a while........*dreamy grin*

Yes.

I haven't...if anything I've debunked them (Dante's post/s).

Yes.

I wasn't talking about you, dear, just the general bufoonery that occurs on the internet everytime something wholly insignificant occurs =p.