N-Europe

Well anyone with any sense can tell this is better than the stuff they're pumping out now:

Aw that's not as good as I remember, but I still like it. I remember liking right round quite a lot, I got entertainment value from my brother who must've been 2 at the time recognising it, and saying right round whenever it was on the music channels.

Anyway:

Goldfrapp_AE.jpg

A&E - Goldfrapp

Seventh Tree, the album it's from, is quite a departure from their usual dirtier electro like Strict Machine and Ooh La La. It's more like their very first output Felt Mountain, but a lot more folky. Anyway this song in particular is just so nice, I get really nice images from the music but the lyrics tell a completely different story. I love how it shows they're willing to shake stuff up completely and go in a new direction. Its remixes have been my running fuel for the past week or so.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Aw that's not as good as I remember, but I still like it.

If it's any consolation, I watched it on Youtube last night and it sounded strange. Then listened on iTunes and it's way different. The production/sample from "Are Friend's Electric?" kinda reverberates in the actual song, but that's all compressed and tinny on YT. dunno why.

Why does everyone say it is shouty. My friend said that to me about this song the other day. If anything it is strained, it just doesn't sit right. :)

lady_gaga_fame_monster2.jpg

I listened to the Fame Monster properly today. :D Upon first listen it is okay. They songs are miles ahead of The Fame (accept Pappazzi) but they lack the catchiness. Bad Romance is the only one that gets it just right and shows what Lady Gaga can do so masterfully in my eyes.

If it's any consolation, I watched it on Youtube last night and it sounded strange. Then listened on iTunes and it's way different. The production/sample from "Are Friend's Electric?" kinda reverberates in the actual song, but that's all compressed and tinny on YT. dunno why.

Hmm that may be it, and also I've been listening to Are Friends Electric? a lot recently also, so that might have changed my view on it.

Razz remind me to listen to then album when its out (is it out?) at some point or else I'll umm...threaten you or something? Take away your hands! No more gesticulation for you!

I've had this in my head since singing slaughtering it at Jayseven's last week.

GOO GOO GAH JUB!

Even ended up singing it in my interview...

Razz remind me to listen to then album when its out (is it out?) at some point or else I'll umm...threaten you or something? Take away your hands! No more gesticulation for you!

Seventh Tree? That's been out since '08. Their new one Head First is out in March.

There's two pieces of music that are stuck in my head at the moment. They're both from film soundtracks:

This is from The Island, which wasn't a great movie. However, the same piece of movie was also famously used on an advert recently for Avatar. It kicks in at around 1:10. I love this. The suits Avatar more than it ever did The Island...

and the other piece is from Sunshine.

I wouldn't recommend listening or watching that Sunshine piece unless you've seen the film. I think it's much more powerful when you hear it for the first time.

Okay, after reading the last few pages of this thread, i feel that this recommendation won't appeal to anyone. But what the hey.

Shining - Fisheye

You'll have to find it on Spotify or search it up on youtube, since i can't post URLs before i've posted 15 posts. Norwegian metal/jazz(the band likes to call it blackjazz). I've never really liked metal, but this is just insane! It's produced by Sean Beaven, whom you might remember if you like music like NIN, Marilyn Manson or Slayer.

Okay, after reading the last few pages of this thread, i feel that this recommendation won't appeal to anyone. But what the hey.

Shining - Fisheye

You'll have to find it on Spotify or search it up on youtube, since i can't post URLs before i've posted 15 posts. Norwegian metal/jazz(the band likes to call it blackjazz). I've never really liked metal, but this is just insane! It's produced by Sean Beaven, whom you might remember if you like music like NIN, Marilyn Manson or Slayer.

I am listening to it now. :grin:

Hehe, right I liked it. :) It's on the right side of crazy for me! I shall listen to the rest of the album later.

On a completely different twist of events I'm listening to Dolly Parton. :D

The Fame Monster finally clicked with me yesterday during Monster while I was re enacting how the characters in my story mutate and lose their eyes.

Haven't made a post here in a while so just thought I'd post the songs I am currently addicted to...and hopefully Mozilla wont crash a second time while in the middle of putting the post together.

Little Boots - Catch 22

Unbelievable that this track is only a bonus song available on the Japanese release of Hands. This is now one of my favourite tracks by her along side Mathematics and Stuck on Repeat.

Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed

Winner of BBC Sound of 2010, was lucky enough to see her as a warm-up for Little Boots last October. Video is ok, other songs I enjoy by her are Under The Sheets and Wish I Stayed. The Jakwob remixes of her songs are great too. For her album, she has worked closely with her producer Starsmith who I will go on to later.

Erik Hassle - Hurtful

Also saw Erik Hassle live as a warm-up, the Swedish artist is very popular in his native country but is only now releasing his album here in the UK. The 3 main songs I enjoy from him are Hurtful, Don't Bring Flowers and Bump In The Road.

Marina and the Diamonds - Hollywood

Came second in BBC Sound of 2010, her songs sound quite unique and amongst several of her tracks, they don't sound great upon first listen, but they really grow on you the more and more you listen to them. The Fenech-Soler remix of this track is great too. Other songs by Marina which are worth a listen are Obsessions, I am Not a Robot, Mowgli's Road and Seventeen. Likely to buy her album sometime, hopefully will go see her live too if mates get into her too:heh: She also had a short 10 minute program about her on Channel 4 on Friday night which is a good watch.

Florence + The Machine - Hurricane Drunk

Received her album for Christmas, every song is a real grower. Hurricane Drunk is one song I keep coming back to by her as well as You've Got The Love and Cosmic Love. The video for Hurricane Drunk was premièred last Friday too but isn't that amazing in all honesty. Currently the song I use as my alarm in the morning.

Starsmith

He is a new and upcoming DJ/artist/producer. His remixes are absolutely amazing and can make the original song sound poor!:heh: His debut album should be around in late 2010. Some of his remixes:

Mika - Blame it on the Girls

Paloma Faith - New York

Marina and the Diamonds - I am Not A Robot

Starsmith - The 'Yes Mate' Mixtape

Lady GaGa - Bad Romance

Other remixes I like by him but could not find on Youtube are his remixes of Little Boots - New in Town and Private - My Secret Lover.

Edited by Rowan

You only need to put the Youtube URL code between the music tags. At the end of every youtube url it should end something like v=2hjb2jb26 or something. Only put in the code after the v=.

EDIT: Ashley beat me to it, bastard.

I really dislike the single version of Hollywood, the Fenech Soler mix is so much better. But love her other songs. Can't wait for the album.

Hurricane Drunk in a meh-good one on Lungs for me. Howl and Cosmic Love are wya better (from the non-singles).

and the other piece is from Sunshine.

I wouldn't recommend listening or watching that Sunshine piece unless you've seen the film. I think it's much more powerful when you hear it for the first time.

Oh jesus yes. Such an utterly brilliant sequence of chords. Cranking that up loud with speakers is utter bliss.

Incidentally I think it's a fucking brilliant film, flawed but a masterpiece, so underrated.

Oh jesus yes. Such an utterly brilliant sequence of chords. Cranking that up loud with speakers is utter bliss.

Incidentally I think it's a fucking brilliant film, flawed but a masterpiece, so underrated.

The piano-keyboard part at around the 2:00 part is wonderful. For some reason, it's got a Mogwai-type of feel to it. Really lovely little piece. :)

I also love the film. On repeated viewings, it somehow seems to get better and better each time.

Grammy Winners - The big winners being Beyoncé (Basically everything), Taylor Swift (Best country album) and GaGa (Best dance recording/single).

Best Solo Rock Performance: Working on a Dream – Bruce Springsteen

Record of the Year: Use Somebody – Kings of Leon

Best Country Album: Fearless – Taylor Swift

Best Rock Album: 21st Century Breakdown – Green Day

Best Hard Rock Performance: War Machine – AC/DC

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration: Run This Town – Jay-Z, Rihanna & Kanye West

Best Dance Recording: Poker Face – Lady Gaga

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: Halo – Beyonce

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals: Use Somebody – Kings of Leon

Best New Artist: Zac Brown Band

Best Electronic/Dance Album: The Fame – Lady Gaga

Best Alternative Music Album: Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix – Phoenix

Best Contemporary R&B Album: I Am… Sasha Fierce – Beyonce

Best Female R&B Vocal Performance: Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It) – Beyoncr

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals: I Gotta Feeling – The Black Eyed Peas

Best Rock Song: Use Somebody – Caleb Followill, Jared Followill, Matthew Followill & Nathan Followill, songwriters (Kings Of Leon)

Best Pop Vocal Album: The E.N.D – The Black Eyed Peas

Best Male R&B Vocal Performance: Pretty Wings – Maxwell

Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals: Blame It – Jamie Foxx & T-Pain

Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance: At Last – Beyonce

Best Rock Instrumental Performance: A Day in the Life – Jeff Beck

Best Urban/Alternative Performance: Pearls – India.Arie & Dobet Gnahore

Best R&B Song: Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) РThaddis Harrell, Beyonc̩ Knowles, Terius Nash & Christopher Stewart, songwriters (Beyonc̩)

Best Rap Solo Performance: D.O.A (Death Of Auto-Tune) – Jay-Z

Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group: Crack a Bottle – Eminem, Dr. Dre & 50 Cent

Best Rap Song: Run This Town – Jeff Bhasker, Shawn Carter, Robyn Fenty, Kanye West & Ernest Wilson, songwriters (Athanasios Alatas, songwriter) (Jay-Z, Rihanna & Kanye West)

Best Rap Album: Relapse – Eminem

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: Make It Mine – Jason Mraz

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals: Lucky – Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat

Best Female Country Vocal Performance: White Horse – Taylor Swift

Best Male Country Vocal Performance: Sweet Thing – Keith Urban

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album: Michael Buble Meets Madison Square Garden – Michael Buble

Best Metal Performance: Dissident Aggressor – Judas Priest

Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals: I Run to You – Lady Antebellum

Best Country Collaboration With Vocals: I Told You So – Carrie Underwood & Randy Travis

Best Country Song: White Horse – Liz Rose & Taylor Swift, songwriters (Taylor Swift)

Best Americana Album:Electric Dirt – Levon Helm

Best Contemporary Blues Album: Already Free – The Derek Trucks Band

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media: Slumdog Millionaire – Various Artists, A R Rahman, producer

Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media: Jai Ho (From Slumdog Millionaire) – Gulzar, A R Rahman & Tanvi Shah, songwriters (A R Rahman, Sukhvinder Singh, Tanvi Shah, Mahalaxmi Iyer & Vijay Prakash)

Best Recording Package: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today – Stefan Sagmeister, art director (David Byrne & Brian Eno)

Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package: Neil Young Archives Vol. I (1963-1972) – Gary Burden, Jenice Heo & Neil Young, art directors (Neil Young)

Best Short Form Music Video: Boom Boom Pow – The Black Eyed Peas

Best Long Form Music Video: The Beatles Love – All Together Now – (Various Artists)

Best Comedy Album: A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift Of All! – Stephen Colbert

Seeing GaGa perform with Elton John has increased my excitement to see her live in March tenfold. Cannot wait.