Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I've been exposed to it as long as I can remember dude, seriously, I'm a stubborn bastard, my music tastes haven't changed as far back as I can remember being into music so I doubt it.

Fair enough on the Mathcore point. I donno, Laiho (aka God, Allah, Krishna etc) once said "It's gotten to the point where it's not music anymore, it's sport" talking about dream theater, and I agree; being excessively calculating is a bad idea in my opinion. It's great when used well (ie. SiKth).

I'm not as deep into the metal scene as I used to be though...you don't strike me as the Metalcore kinda guy (Metalcore is totally underrated), you into that shit?

We've totally hijacked this thread dude :p.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

I've been exposed to it as long as I can remember dude, seriously, I'm a stubborn bastard, my music tastes haven't changed as far back as I can remember being into music so I doubt it.

Fair enough on the Mathcore point. I donno, Laiho (aka God, Allah, Krishna etc) once said "It's gotten to the point where it's not music anymore, it's sport" talking about dream theater, and I agree; being excessively calculating is a bad idea in my opinion. It's great when used well (ie. SiKth).

I'm not as deep into the metal scene as I used to be though...you don't strike me as the Metalcore kinda guy (Metalcore is totally underrated), you into that shit?

We've totally hijacked this thread dude :p.

I'm into everything, metalcore included. ;)

Hijacking is good. :D

Dream Theater? Well, as all things too-technicall, it has one big problem: IT HAS NO SOUL WHATSOEVER. If you can look that over, they make some great music.

What would you describe as too technical though?

There is one Dream Theater song I totally love (actually, I don't even know if it's by them :heh:) It's called Acid Rain. You can be technical and have soul...Paul Gilbert did some great stuff, Cacophony...etc

What I can't stand though is bands trying to be technical and not having the skill to pull it off, it ruins the music. Chimaira and MH come to mind.

I need to send you some Yasunori Mitsuda stuff like Radical Dreamers...I think you'd like it.

I ever tell you guys I saw Dilinger Escape Plan live? totally went over my head at the time, but in retrospect: 43% Burned is a fucking work of genius.

Dunno if I can really handle them much though. I prefer my insanely complex music to be made on a moog :P

What would I describe as too tecnhical?? Simple:

Satriani

Malmsteen

etc etc etc etc. They're so focused on sounding like gods that they forget to feel their music.

I totally disagree, specially on Satriani. It's one thing I love about him is that he might be technichal but his songs have a lot of soul, most of them at least. And rocks live, even you enjoyed him live :P Malmsteen is mixed stuff though, sometimes he has some kick ass songs with lots of barroque influences that makes it a joy to listen other times, he's just showing us that he can play the guitar. There was one G3 (don't remember which one, Denver maybe), that he totally saved, up until he appeared it was like a guitar workshop.

Dream Theater? Well, as all things too-technicall, it has one big problem: IT HAS NO SOUL WHATSOEVER. If you can look that over, they make some great music.

Now you're just relying on that stereotype. Dream Theater music is soulless? Jesus, it's like the total opposite.

Blimey, this thread has become a genre-fest :)

What the hell is Mathcore? And what makes DEP be Mathcore? Can't say I like DEP myself, it's a bit too Patton for my liking (in the same way as Fantomas and Peeping Tom), but I have to give them credit for their cover of Justin Timberlake's Cry Me A River, which cracked me up immensely :laughing:

I totally disagree, specially on Satriani. It's one thing I love about him is that he might be technichal but his songs have a lot of soul, most of them at least. And rocks live, even you enjoyed him live :P Malmsteen is mixed stuff though, sometimes he has some kick ass songs with lots of barroque influences that makes it a joy to listen other times, he's just showing us that he can play the guitar. There was one G3 (don't remember which one, Denver maybe), that he totally saved, up until he appeared it was like a guitar workshop.

Now you're just relying on that stereotype. Dream Theater music is soulless? Jesus, it's like the total opposite.

The whole reason I don't really like Satriani is because I can't feel shit when I'm listening to his tunes, but since I don't really like him, I won't dwell in this kingdom.

As for DT, well, I'm not really relying on stereotype... I love DT. I remember reading extremely criticizing reviews fo their music for being hollow and soulless and thinking "what a load of crap", but the truth is, once you keep listening to their stuff over and over, it begins to fall apart. You start to notice the pattern in their writing is a bit too calculated and planned, there's no personality involved in the struturing of songs, no "je ne sais quois", that magical ingredient that makes you feel a song deep inside of you. They don't have that. Except maybe for Scenes From A Memory, their whole arsenal is based on a similar structure and basis. There are no real spontaneous moments and the songs start to feel stale and dead. It's that predictability and staleness that stops them from being one of my favourite bands instead of being one of my "almost favourite".

I never really understood why the whole music community really dissed them of for "having no soul" until I started agreing with them. Their whole problem is that, eventually, their songs stop coming back to you and the more you listen to them, the more you feel like you're visiting a museum. That and La Brie's awful voice. =S

Basically their songs have everything BUT a soul.

Now, I'm not saying their bad musicians, I still love them and embrace their music as I always have. I was just pointing out that they're totally soulless, wich is fine by me, I still listen to them every now and then and I still pity I didn't get to see them live with you guys, but I agree with your cousin on this one... lack of substance.

The whole reason I don't really like Satriani is because I can't feel shit when I'm listening to his tunes, but since I don't really like him, I won't dwell in this kingdom.

As for DT, well, I'm not really relying on stereotype... I love DT. I remember reading extremely criticizing reviews fo their music for being hollow and soulless and thinking "what a load of crap", but the truth is, once you keep listening to their stuff over and over, it begins to fall apart. You start to notice the pattern in their writing is a bit too calculated and planned, there's no personality involved in the struturing of songs, no "je ne sais quois", that magical ingredient that makes you feel a song deep inside of you. They don't have that. Except maybe for Scenes From A Memory, their whole arsenal is based on a similar structure and basis. There are no real spontaneous moments and the songs start to feel stale and dead. It's that predictability and staleness that stops them from being one of my favourite bands instead of being one of my "almost favourite".

I never really understood why the whole music community really dissed them of for "having no soul" until I started agreing with them. Their whole problem is that, eventually, their songs stop coming back to you and the more you listen to them, the more you feel like you're visiting a museum. That and La Brie's awful voice. =S

Basically their songs have everything BUT a soul.

Now, I'm not saying their bad musicians, I still love them and embrace their music as I always have. I was just pointing out that they're totally soulless, wich is fine by me, I still listen to them every now and then and I still pity I didn't get to see them live with you guys, but I agree with your cousin on this one... lack of substance.

Again, don't agree with you, I understand you're not bashing them, but I think their musics have a lot of feeling, more than most of those metal bands you hear, that you can see they clearly have no soul and have been possessed by Satan :p

I hated LaBrie too, but after the concert I totally changed my opinion. Not inly does he look less girlie now, his voice rocks live.

1. Trivium's last album wasn't that bad. I liked a couple of the songs ('This world Can't Tear Us Apart' was good), but yeah, could have been better.

2. MCR's last album was bloody awful. The most generic shit I've ever heard. I don't understand why people think there is meaning in it; because there isn't. It's just over the top and attracts stupid girls or emo teens.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!