NEurope

At least they gave Radiohead two spots for one album. That's the least they deserve.

[*]Artic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

Why, why, why?!?!?! Why does everybody love this band so much they are f.ucking awful!!!

teehee.

Seriously though, getting good GCSEs does not represent intelligence. Some of the people at my school who got "good" GCSEs can barely talk and move at the same time.

If someone gets all A*s then maybe that would be a fair indication of intellect, but overall GCSEs are total bullshit. Like most review scales being on 7-10, GCSEs go from C - A* and thats not right, achieving a A should be difficult and with current grading schemes, it is not in any way.

Jeez, I sound like an old man and I only did my GCSEs last year.

Because you post like a 4 year old girl.

I LOLed (at this and most of the stuff)

Also, you should care about your grammar, because when people get your/you're and there/their wrong it's fucking annoying.

Predicted A's? Then get your English sorted.

Also, you should care about your grammer, because when people get your/you're and there/their wrong it's fucking annoying.

It's spelt 'grammar' by the way... :heh:

In other music related news I just can't seem to like any kind of Metal, I've tried listening to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Tool and while I can appreciate the complexity and the skill it must take to make and play their music, it just does nothing for me.

In other music related news I just can't seem to like any kind of Metal, I've tried listening to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Tool and while I can appreciate the complexity and the skill it must take to make and play their music, it just does nothing for me.

That's how i spelt it, i think you changed it in the quote...

;)

Jesus, dude, don't start with Maiden, Deth or Slayer. Stick to some Metallica to begin with; songs like "One," "The Unforgiven," "Nothing Else Matters" (ie. The ballads) and then stuff like "Battery" and "Orion" (You said you liked classical, this is one beautiful Bartok inspired 8 minute instrumental) etc. And then when you identify what it is that you can appreciate, or even like, try to look for the same qualities in other bands. I know with Megadeth, the lyrics and singing can be ridiculously jarring to begin with, but you get used to them, because it's the underlying instrumental proficiency that makes them so awe inspiring.

Good metal, like good Jazz is an aquired taste.

*from Orlando*

Joy for the sameold arguement.

Anyway. My uncle and aunt saw the Blue Man Group last night at Universal Citywalk. Wish i'd gone.

I bought To Venus And Back (Venus Orbiting or whatever the first bit's called) to listen to on holiday and it's awesome. Some of the songs have really hard to hear lyrics, but it shows tori's range as an artist. Glory of the 80's and 1,000 oceans ftw.

I'm pointing out that your opinion is not the de facto standard, and that you can't just keep on naming music (and their listeners!) shit.

Well, unlike you I'm not hiding behind my opinion. Like I said... opinion does not equal quality. I love alot of shitty bands. If you want to, I can list them. I also dislike alot of good bands.

I'm not using my opinion as a de facto standard, I'm using facts as the de fact standard. What I think matters little or nothing in the global scale of quality standards.

Let me try and explain this fully, from the start, no "opinions" involved. From here on till the end of this set of paragraphs, this is accurate history:

Ok. So here we are, this is the world, and there are people who make music. Correct? Well then... there are several ingredients that compose a song, these are called "songwriting". Now, complexity in songwriting is not a means to evaluate quality. Simplicity is often the key to enjoyable good music.

But this is beside the point. So, let's go. There are no bad music genres. Every genre has good musicians, and therefore, good music. Now, let's use Indie Rock as an example. You have your so called "forefathers" of the genre, like The Smiths, for example. Now, these forefathers built a new genre of music, correct? And thus influenced the complete roster of Indie Rock bands to come. Here, however, we come to an halt. This is where things get nasty. There are bands who pick up these formulas of songwriting and build upon it with originality, skill, and enhancing songwriting, like Neutral Milk Hotel, or most recently The Arcade Fire (whom I hate fiercly, but are, nonetheless, a fantastic band in ecery single aspect).

Then there are those who use these formulas and ruin them with vulgarity and uninspired foolery, like Klaxons (whom I love) or The Artic Monkeys. These bands constitute this so called "bad music", for you see, even though there are people who might enjoy their music, their musical value is terrible. Dull, predictable songwriting, bound by dogmas and haunted by unoriginality.

Now, let's see if you can grasp this part: no matter how much I hate The Arcade Fire and absolutely love Klaxons, The Arcade Fire are an infinitely better band than Klaxons. This has nothing whatsoever to do with personal taste. This is a musical fact.

The problem is, John Doe doesn't understand that his taste is not absolute, and although you accuse me of not being able to look beyond my taste in music, it's actually you who are blinded by your opinion.

Opinion means nothing, worth-wise. I mean, are you really gonna tell me that the only difference between Led Zeppelin and S Club 7 is opinion? Because that, DCK, is plain old ignorance. Anyone who denies that Led Zeppelin are musically superior to S Club 7, is most likely, an uninformed person.

That's why music critics are there. These guys know how to tell their opinion from quality. That's why their critics, impartiality!

I mean, I fucking hate The Arcade Fire, nonetheless, Funeral is one of the best albums made in the last 20 years. Can you grasp this? Can you grasp that difference?

There is no way they deserve that, and I know the internet is an easy medium to be all tough about your music tastes, but it crosses the lines in the way you're doing it now. What I mean with respect is that nobody has the right to be called the names they're called for listening the music they listen to. If you can't give them that, you have no right to be here.

Like I said, respect is earned. I respect people's opinion. What I don't respect is when people come around and state their opinion as fact. Like when someone says that the last Foo Fighters album is very good, and an accomplishment and so on instead of saying that they like it. What pisses me off is that people can't tell their own taste from fact. Just because they like something, it doesn't mean it's good, damn it!

How annoying that people don't think alike, isn't it? It's the way the world works - grow up and get over it. The argument is you think it's shit, and I think it's not (and we can get into discussions about technique and composition and the likes but it all comes down to that basic point). Discussions like that are limited, but that's just the way it works.

The probem is, I don't think it's shit, I know it is. I you insult me for liking Klaxons, like someone already did here once, I'll say "yeah, they suck, I know. I still like them though." You guys can't stomach that. You can't admit you like shit. Get it? Get the difference?

Good and bad are terms like quality - you don't decide what it means. Some people must like music to find it good, for some it's even synonymous. Let them.

But that's just it. "you don't decide what it means". It's universal! If "Some people" can't understand that, it's them who are mistaken, not us.

Also, I don't write off your bands (I hardly comment on them), as I don't know them well and don't pretend to know better than you when to like something and when not to.

Oh but you can!! And if you look through it, when people do, I don't get mad, I say what I have to say, and if they're right, they're right.

The problem is... you think I'd react like most here do, when confronted with my own bad taste. Well, I won't! I admit to it! I embrace it!

Very wrong. Quality is a direct consequence of personal opinion, as it's a subjective term. Quality is not an objectively (or by The Bard, or by you) defined something; quality is the sum of all things we find important in certain things, and those definitions vary among people based on their opinions.

No it isn't. Quality is objective. Like everything, be it art like this case, or construction materials, food, lands, so on... there are things bound to be better then others.

The only exceptions to this rule are things without any real logic behind tem. Like sports, for example. There aren't "better" sports. Their all equal, that's when opinion becomes decisive, that's when opinion is really the one who decides wich one is better and wich one is worse, as it's all down to personal taste, there's no "quality" involved.

The bottom line is that everybody is allowed an opinion and discussions and comments are welcome. Continuously shitting over everybody's opinions, resorting to personal insults however, is disgusting.

I've avoided inulting people as much as I can. This is supposed to be a grown-up discussion location. And the fact is, everytime I make a remark on someone's taste in music, they're the ones who start to shoot personal insults. I merely reply. If people can't admit to their own flaws, or argue about them the right way (like Haggis, you should all follow that kid's example. That is someone who knows how to argue. He never looses his temper and is always capable of going through a civilized discussion without causing a fuss. See that? That's moderation...), then what the hell am I supposed to do?

----ALSO----

I'm sorry to say this, Oxigen, but your post is filled with stupidity.

Show me.

At least they gave Radiohead two spots for one album. That's the least they deserve.

Fuck no, they deserved no. 1! :(

Why, why, why?!?!?! Why does everybody love this band so much they are f.ucking awful!!!

Because they're fucking awful. That's how the world works. The worse they are, the bigger fanbase they have. :(

Good metal, like good Jazz is an aquired taste.

That is very much truth.

I don't think the bands I listen to that other people call shit are shit, or else I wouldn't listen to them.

I know that other people consider them to be shit but I don't put them down for it, I let them have their say and that's that. No need to get personal about someone because they like a certain type of music.

For example, Panic! At The Disco. I don't know anyone else on this forum that even likes the idea of Panic and I'm sure a lot of you here woold call them shit straight away. Fine, that's your opinion. But someone saying it's shit doesn't make me want to stop listening to it.

And that's the way it should be. The MPOTD thread was locked because it got out of hand. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go the same way if pointless flames and arguments continue going on as they do.

Nobody has the right to tell anyone else that what they listen to is wrong, factually shit or any of that bullshit, so stop that right away.

Right, rant over, this is not directed at any one in particular but is left as a reminder to everyone that if we want this thread to stay alive, we need to be a bit more considerate.

Opinion means nothing, worth-wise. I mean, are you really gonna tell me that the only difference between Led Zeppelin and S Club 7 is opinion? Because that, DCK, is plain old ignorance. Anyone who denies that Led Zeppelin are musically superior to S Club 7, is most likely, an uninformed person.

I wouldn't call them "uninformed". I'd call them "a person with a different opinion". :indeed:

However, it is your opinion that such a person is uninformed, yet you say it like it is a fact.

The magnitude of the difference between Led Zeppelin and S Club 7 is opinionated part here.

For example, Panic! At The Disco. I don't know anyone else on this forum that even likes the idea of Panic and I'm sure a lot of you here woold call them shit straight away. Fine, that's your opinion. But someone saying it's shit doesn't make me want to stop listening to it.

But that's precisely one of the reasons I like you! Moral fibber! You trust your own opinion! That's what other people don't seem to do, they get all fidgety when we insult their opinion in anyway. You've got a personality! It's a shame that most don't.

And in "flaming" territory, at least myself, have toned it down quite a lot. I don't "flame" anymore. I merely point out things. I don't think that is necessarily a negative thing.

Led Zepellin could play their instruments. John Bonham is a good.

S Club 7 can dance, which I very much doubt Bonham could do...especially now he's dead. (I think)

Therefore, they all have their good and bad points.

I wouldn't call them "uninformed". I'd call them "a person with a different opinion". :indeed:

However, it is your opinion that such a person is uninformed, yet you say it like it is a fact.

The magnitude of the difference between Led Zeppelin and S Club 7 is opinionated part here.

No it isn't, damn it! That's it!!! It's a fucking fact!!! Led Zeppelin are better than S Club 7. No matter how much you may whine about it, it's a fact!

Hmm I was going to say something along the lines of what Dyson posted but I doubt I could say it in better words.

However I also like P!ATD even though they slated for being emo etc, same with Fall Out Boy.

I think Oxigen's point is good, my friend and I are going to Then and Now, a concert with what you could say are the losers of the 80's, one of them being the legendary Rick Astley. We both know that he is awful, but its the sheer cheese of it that makes us laugh and we couldn't care less about the quality.

Hmm I was going to say something along the lines of what Dyson posted but I doubt I could say it in better words.

However I also like P!ATD even though they slated for being emo etc, same with Fall Out Boy.

I think Oxigen's point is good, my friend and I are going to Then and Now, a concert with what you could say are the losers of the 80's, one of them being the legendary Rick Astley. We both know that he is awful, but its the sheer cheese of it that makes us laugh and we couldn't care less about the quality.

I'm going to see The Astley, too!

I feel the same as you. We know its bad, but its so awful that it climbs the scale and becomes God-like. :D

Oh my God, Flinky, please tell me you have a spare ticket :D

Yes Oxigen, I'd noticed that too, good stuff on the toning down :D

Yeah thats the only way to explain, you going to the Brighton Centre to it?

I've been to Brighton a ew times but for the life of me can't remember a concert hall at all.

I'm going with a female, and its strictly the two of us.

And her Dad.

Don't ask! :D

Calza: The Brighton Centre is in town. :) Its right around the corner from the Odean Cinema and the Oceana NightClub. :)

If he doesn't play it, me and my mate will probably die...of sadness.

To be honest, he hasn't got a vast artillery of songs to choose from now, has he?

I don't half find O_W's view on Klaxons and The Arcade Fire confusing. Possibly because I love them both as much as one another. :smile:

I suppose you can dislike a band yet appreciate how they've changed music in a way. I'm not too keen on The Sex Pistols, but what they caused and the amount of bands they influenced is impressive. Metallica are hit and miss in my eyes, and Iron Maiden are miss every time, but they've been amazingly influential you can't not appreciate them.

It's only Elvis I can't get my head around people liking. And Westlife... :shakehead

No it isn't, damn it! That's it!!! It's a fucking fact!!! Led Zeppelin are better than S Club 7. No matter how much you may whine about it, it's a fact!

Ok, prove it, without using the opinions of others.

By the way, I think Led Zep are one of the best bands ever, while S Club 7 annoy me almost as much as your debating technique...