NEurope

Is anyone a fan of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs?

Can anyone recommend any good albums/tracks of theirs?

Fever to tell. Great album. Pin, Date with the night, Rich, Maps, all great songs.

Fever to tell. Great album. Pin, Date with the night, Rich, Maps, all great songs.

Don't forget Y Control...and Tick. Actually, the album is pretty perfect. Modern Romance is so goood. :)

Why don't you get their follow up as well? It's called Show Your Bones, and it's got some cracking tunes on there.

Phenomenom, Cheated Hearts, Turn Into, Mysteries (one of my faves by them), Dudley...quite a few more.

They're both different albums in terms of sound. FTT is more raw and rocky, but SYB does sound a lot more mature, and melodic as well. I love them both.

By your descriptions, it sounds like I'll like Show Your Bones more.

I'll probably end up buying both.

By your descriptions, it sounds like I'll like Show Your Bones more.

I'll probably end up buying both.

Nah, there isn't a single person on the planet who won't preffer Fever To Tell. Ain't that right, Flinky?

Nah, there isn't a single person on the planet who won't preffer Fever To Tell. Ain't that right, Flinky?

Fever to Tell, is just plain better, when I saw YYY's at reading the songs that everyone was going crazy too were all from Fever To Tell, its so much more energetic and just generally more interesting as an album. Infact, I think I may listen too it now!

As you put it so well, that's your opinion. Opinions are irrelevant to the truth.
Well, the only thing we can say here is that you define 'good' as musical expertise (a hard-to-define and ambiguous term by itself), while others define 'good' as music they enjoy listening. 'Good' is something everyone has a slightly different definition of, and is therefore a subjective term. Even if everyone defines 'good' as musical expertise like you do, there are still details about that expertise people may like more or less than others. Because of that, there's nothing you can conclusively call 'good' in the name of everyone.

Well, that's true to an extent, but can you really argue that, for example, Blink 182, or the Foo Fighters have more musical expertise than...say, Metallica? No, you really can't, and it would be stupid to try. The gray area comes when there are bands of similar influence and prestige, like Zeppelin and The Beatles...or Mastodon and KSE it's easily debatable as to who are the better band, and you couldn't be blamed for trying to justify one over the other.

What is really infuriating is when musically inept whelps wander in here, with vague tastes, and nonexistent understanding, vacuously touting The Libertines (or whatever other sterile bullshit that crass Indie culture is hailing these days) to be worth listening to. That kind of "music" is exhausted in one listen, that is, if you don't get annoyed and angry at the lack of effort that went into it even before it's finished. [/rant for the day]

That's true, and I don't claim the Foo Fighters to be such great musicians (they're not), but it doesn't stop me from liking them :) But our definitions of musical expertise probably don't differ all that much. If they did, I could argue the things you say. Thing is, I find the Foos 'good' because my definition of good allows it - their music doesn't have depth but it does vibrate a certain energy I really enjoy. Because of vague reasons like that, you really can't define what 'good' really is. Similarily, such reasons may count for some people who like the Libertines, or whatever they're called. I also hate most indie music (the only exception being Arcade Fire, they're somehow classified as indie)...

Hey, I'm not bashing the Foo's, they're fun, I'm just saying that the difference in quality is noticeable.

As for people who like the Libertines, I'm sorry, that's my bad, here I was operating under the assumption that I was dealing with people with some semblance of intelligence. Well, you can bet your ass I wont be making the same mistake twice.

It's not vague at all, is what I'm saying. Quality is obvious, people just can't be bothered to look for it, instead obstinately clinging to whatever immediately appeals. People, in other words, who have no interest in music further than as a distraction for an idle hour.

Meh...I've had this debate far too often...I'll piss off now.

People, in other words, who have no interest in music further than as a distraction for an idle hour.
That only counts for 95% of the world's population. Maybe you just care too much :wink:

That only counts for 95% of the world's population. Maybe you just care too much :wink:

Well, I'm sorry, but I've always been under the impression that a medium shouldn't be defined under the terms of the lowest common denominator.

I'd agree, the majority of people use it as just background entertainment. However, some people take a real passion in it and thats fine. Each their own (mine being TV, I get het up about that) so lets stop arguing.

I bought loads of CDs today.

I'm just listening to Joan As Police Woman's debut album atm. I'm pleasantly surprised - it's far better than her follow up!

It only has 6 tracks on it though, which is a bit of a let down.

It's a hard one to judge, as not everyone will like the trashy, raw sound of FTT. They're both different albums, with completely different sounds and emotions.

I can't decide between them, I love both.

Fever to Tell, is just plain better, when I saw YYY's at reading the songs that everyone was going crazy too were all from Fever To Tell, its so much more energetic and just generally more interesting as an album. Infact, I think I may listen too it now!

Show Your Bones is still relatively new, and not everyone will know all the songs like they do off its predecessor. Maps and Y Control have become anthems which people have sang for many a time. In five years time, Turn Into or Mysteries could become the new batch for fans.

They're both fantastic albums, and saying one is better is no disrespect to the other. :)

I bought Fever To Tell today.

Black Togue is the only song that has really caught me after two listens through.

I bought Fever To Tell today.

Black Togue is the only song that has really caught me after two listens through.

If you're not saying "tick tick tick tick tick" by the end of the week, you clearly have no soul. :heh:;)

MTV European Music Awards 2008 to be held at the Echo Arena in Liverpool on November. :hmm:

Among my christmas gifts were a pair of tickets to see the Australian Pink Floyd tribute! They must be one hell of a tribute band becuse the tickets were £24.50, almost what I payed to see Muse! (same arena as well). Should be good though :D

MTV TRL - Best Music Videos Of The Year:

1° Girlfriend - Avril Lavigne

2° This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race - Fall Out Boy

3° Umbrella - Rihanna

4° Glamorous - Fergie

5° Crank That (Soulja Boy) - Soulja Boy

6° Fergalicious - Fergie

7° This Is Why I'm Hot - Mims

8° Famous Last Words - My Chemical Romance

9° Lipgloss - Lil Mama

10° Don't Matter - Akon

11° Candyman - Christina Aguilera

12° Misery Business - Paramore

13° The Sweet Scape - Gwen Stefani

14° Big Girls Don't Cry - Fergie

15 Say it right- Nelly Furtado

Why don't less popular songs ever get chosen? It's slightly obvious they've just picked the most watched videos and said they're the best to be "in with the kids".

*Loves Say It Right*

I should really pick up Nelly Furtado's latest album, I love all the singles off it.

*Loves Say It Right*

I should really pick up Nelly Furtado's latest album, I love all the singles off it.

You stick with listening to Fever To Tell. =D