Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rumour: Hard Drive for Wii

shade

From Jeux France

According to the last rumours coming from the Japanese magazine Gamelabo, a source considered to be rather reliable, it would seem that the exit of an external hard disk for Wii was decided at an internal meeting at Nintendo a few days ago. Nothing official for the moment, to follow.

linky- http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?url=http://www.jeux-france.com/news19616.html&lp=fr_en&tt=url

Adds weight to the re occurring Sega Saturn on VC rumour. I hope its just that they will enable USB hard drive support and then just put out an official one on the streets with the Nintendo name on it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Internal decision? Nintendo managed to keep the Wii controller secret for six months

Or did they? I'm sure that, among all the fakes and rumours, all the information for the Wii Remote was out there before it was revealed. It was just hidden in a massive pile if filth. A Harddrive, on the other hand, doesn't exactly have the "buzz" surrounding it that will hide the truth.

Or did they? I'm sure that, among all the fakes and rumours, all the information for the Wii Remote was out there before it was revealed. It was just hidden in a massive pile if filth. A Harddrive, on the other hand, doesn't exactly have the "buzz" surrounding it that will hide the truth.

The only thing I saw remotely close the Wiimote was the 'two controller, one for each hand'-creation. And it looked like a GameCube controller broken in two. I'm just saying that Nintendo is very secretive and their internal decisions aren't likely to come out of the company.

this rumor is kinda a no brainier.

There have been rumors of Demo's, sega saturn support, original content combine that with the fact that the Wii has USB slots and you have a very plausible rumour that is likely to happen at some point. It's the kinda rumor that sp0nge used to make up.

The only thing I saw remotely close the Wiimote was the 'two controller, one for each hand'-creation.

What I meant was all the real information was out there, it's just that noone managed to put all the real stuff together because of all the fake stuff.

I hope this turns out to be true. 512Mb Flash is idiotic, especially when external hard drives are so cheap.

How is 512 MB "idiotic"? It is practically free to manufacture, extremely reliable and is more than enough for storing your save files. HD would have added about 30-40 bucks to price, made console more prone to damage and much bigger size-wise.

How is 512 MB "idiotic"? It is practically free to manufacture, extremely reliable and is more than enough for storing your save files. HD would have added about 30-40 bucks to price, made console more prone to damage and much bigger size-wise.

But it's not just used for saving files, that's the whole point. The VC is pointless if you have no place to save all your games. I for one don't want to be downloading every game again and again everytime I run out of space. I don't want to keep transfering the files from SD cards to Wii everytime I run out of space. The fact is Nintendo should of added more space for the Wii.

The whole hard drive thing makes perfect sense really. Wouldn't be surprised if it's that or some sort of small USB pen with alot of storage space for you to run all your VC files from.

A 4Gb flash card is £25. Bought in bulk = way cheaper. Its flash, so it is reliable and the size would lend itself to more than just saves like demos, trailers and a greater flexibility in the Wii firmware upgrades.

http://www.mobymemory.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TS4GSD150

I want 16/20 GB minimum, but if I had the choice... I'd go with a +120GB version (pretty unlikely I'd say).

For the Wii I would settle for 5Gb, 10 idealy! I feel real constrained by my 360's 12.5Gb, Id like 60 - 100 for that!

I too hope that it turns out like the SD card - all are compatible, and theirs an official "Nintendo" one out there. If so, I'll get a big one and use it between computer and Wii. Also, can't you make a Vision:M act as an external? That would mean I have about 10gig left to dedicate to the Wii, without having to buy another. And it will charge at the same time! Oh the irony.

Flash memory is very reliable these days (hence all the flash mp3 players knocking around). There is no reason not to put at least a couple of Gb in, at trade prices, it wouldn't have pushed the price above £200.

As someone else said, it's fine for save games, but as soon as you put anything else on it, you're a bit stuck. VC games, demos, other downloads - Ninty also restrict the possibility for patching broken games with the small memory space too.

Brilliant if true. The 512 MB is really limiting. I've downloaded all the channels and 7 VC games already. I think I'm at 40% used space of the internal memory. At the rate I buy VC games, I'll be full by the end of this year.

An HD would make the rumored Saturn games a possibility, the Neo Geo games a better fit and the possibility of a DS/Wii Demo Channel even more likely. It makes a lot of sense. But then again, Nintendo's logic is hard to follow...

We'll likely hear more of this around E3 (July) time if there's any truth in this.

Releasing the hard drive after launch is actually a clever marketing ploy - the console seems to be cheaper, but then eventually most people will have to buy the HD anyway to store VC games. They can claim that it was originally just designed for game saves, morem oney for them from increased Wii sales without the HD, increased money from selling the HD seperately, morem oney for them.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!