NEurope
Stocka

Skies of Arcadia Official Thread

I got SOA a few days ago, i'm currently at this shrine place trying to drain the water in there. It seems like a good game, but I like the battle system that much in Tales of Spmphonia it's a bit difficult to get used to it.

I just ordered this game friday night, it was 1 of the (many) games on my wishlist, and I'm pretty sure it won't disappoint. I'll post more after I get the game and had some gametime, hopefully next week ;). Now I just need Baten Kaitos Origins (somehow) and Fire Emblem, then I'll have all the must-buy (tactical) RPG's, won't I?

Received the game a few days ago, and had some gametime (and I'll go play immediately after this post again).

The game looks great, allthough I think I still prefer Tales of Symphonia when I'm done with it (I think I've seen people here who think this is the best Cube RPG out there, not?). So I'll just begin with the flaws: obviously the graphics are a bit dated, but that's nothing I can't live with. What does annoy me, is the ehm slowness of the game, it doesn't move fluid enough, I mean concerning gameplay, not story. Battles take too long to load, and too long to finish. Not does this take away my pleasure in grinding, it makes the easy battles in previous areas (when you're backtracking) really annoying, since there's no quick way to get them over with. While in other RPG's, you can just tap A very fast and reap the rewards in a few seconds.

Anyway, that said, the story looks epic, which is just what I was looking for. The whole idea of sailing is fun (unlike in Zelda WW :P), and ship battles are very cool and a nice variation in gameplay. Last things I did in the game, was defeating belleza, after attempting the Recumen battle a few times :D. I crossed the South Sea, and I'm now in Ixa ..Ehh, the forest. I love the shipguild thingy by the way, just another great aspect, hunting down those discoveries and bounties! :D Anyway, I'm off to see the king of Ixa.. The forest. No. The king of all the (purple) monkeys! I'm hoping I can be his friend.

Glad your enjoying it. Im one of the people who rate this over ToS and I regard it as one of the best RPGs around. The whole story really comes into its own further into the game and some of the sidequests are class. I wish Sega would get their fingers out and make a sequel....

The thing that really annoyed me was the random battles.At times it was a few steps and a battle.It really annoyed me,though during the game I just couldn't put the control down.

Ages ago they said something about Skies 2 Noriyoshi Ohba said they were considering it and in 2003 he said they were in the planning stages.

The thing that annoyed me wasn't so much that the battles were random, although that was annoying, but that some of the later one were based on luck, not skill. Still the best RPG on the cube though.

Good find. I hope to see a good resurgence in this thread now as Im absolutely positive people are gonna be snapping this up.

What a game and what a price.

I think I put this as my No. 1 GameCube game. Its the epic stuff that legends are made of chaps. You heard the boy, theres no excuse for anyone not to have and love this now. :bouncy:

I'm tempted.. but I don't buy things online.. grr

No, you are joking right?! :confused: Click click, wave your cash bye bye as you in turn buy buy a fantastic game. :yay:

If I could get someone to buy it for me online, and then I pay them the money.. then I would probably consider getting it..

..it would also mean I would have to screw the promise I made to my girlfriend not to buy a game for the next month..

decisions decisions..

/ nando / she'd understand. I mean, didnt you get her to pick this up for you ages ago but you had to return it cos it was scratched to pieces? This is your chance. Make the transition. :hehe:

I love this game. It was hard to find (and I didn't tnotice the thread 'till today), but it was worth the search. I played the game about three years ago now and I'm still in lvoe with it. It looks amazing and mroe challenging than any game ever and the grand feeling of a huge world to discover just can't be ignored. it's a tremendous experience. it's a story that makes you laugh. Like NGC Magazine described it once upon a time: every read a book that let the hair on your neck raise up? Ever heard a song that made you dance just because you loved dancing on it? Ever saw a film that made you cry?

Every single experience in this game, from the first immense story-twist untill the reuniting with old friends and the final blow against evil, is asking - no, screaming - for a place in your heart forever. It makes your spine tingle in every corner. It makes your heart make strange bumps and beats and your fingers twinkle and shake. It makes you sweaty, but it makes you feel good. This is probably one of the best games ever. From the first moment you roam the skies untill you cry after the ship-crash untill the moment you get a ship from a prince whose heart is on the right place.

Nothing to match it. If you lvoe RPG's - get it. Because every single split-second in the game is worth playing it.

Except those where you die and have to try that boss all over again. It mostly seems luck that you defeat them, but still you get a very comfortable feeling from this luck (and from the fact that the battle is over - because one turn extra would have probably bein game over).

My experiences with the game were great. I'll keep them stored in my heart forever...

..I'm sold.. think I'll order it later from play.com while I have the chance :yay:

Edit: in fact.. I just did.. hope I did the right thing, I've never had an RPG like this before :blank:

..how long does it usually take to receive your order from Play (with 2nd class delivery)

Thanks for the heads up Stocka :smile:

No problem, it's my pleasure :smile:

Should take 3-5 days probably, once it has been dispatched.

Just thought I would update to say it is now sold out and I'm starting to worry a little as I have now had 2 emails saying that my card details have been wrong.. I have modified them with the only problem I could possibly find with them.. but if they keep telling me it's wrong, they'll stop holding the copy for me.. won't they :wtf:

NOOOO PLAY.COM HAVE SOLD OUT!! I was considering this as well ill never find it as cheap. Anyone think theyll get them back in stock?

I haven't had any emails about card problems today so i assume everything is ok on that front.. but then I haven't heard anything about it being ok either, nor has Skies been dispatched yet.. should I be concerned.. or just wait and see what happens..

I rang up a little earlier and I was told my ammended card details have now been approved.. but I never got any word about the game all day and it doesn't say that it has been dispatched yet.. My details were right as of last night so should I not have had word today?

If I hear nothing tomorrow I will probably start to worry that Skies of Arcadia has slipped out of my grasp again :weep:

..but on the site, the status of my order is 'order taken' ..which means i AM getting it.. right..?

EDIT: Friggin hell, I phoned up and they said that because Skies sold out between the time I ordered and the time I fixed my card details, I will not be getting the game that there is practucally no chance of the game becoming available again.. a mini tantrum later and I'm still incredibly pissed off beyond belief.. words can't describe how annoyed I'm feeling right now.. :weep:

I got this game on boxing day, finished it yesterday/this morning after a ten hour session, took me 49 hours overall which is probably noob.

The games fuckin awesome, ebay it, go to CEX, check the pre-owned bins, you must have this game.

Just had to get out the final place so I can do some sidequests and the like.

I need to get this off ebay :o I rented it like 3 years ago and loved it but only got like 10 hours in :D

..In a strange twist, the now 'Sold Out' Skies of Arcadia from Play.com is now said to be 'Posted' and should arrive with me within 3-5 working days..

..I don't know whether to laugh or cry.. I was told I wasn't getting it, but I never cancelled my order and.. well.. now it seems I am getting it..

..so while it is great I am actually getting it (:yay:), it's £17.99 I wasn't expecting to disappear from my bank account..

..it's time to SAVE SAVE SAVE :D

Thats great news / nando / boy, see if you don't love the game after all this turmoil, you don't deserve it.

You'll never find the time to play it all though - took me about four or five months to do the thing and I still didnt get all the discoveries nor crew members. Huge game, with graphics that may put you off - between N64 and GameCube quality.

Enjoy. :awesome:

..there's no chance of the graphics putting me off :heh: ..I'm just not that shallow :grin:

..and it's a lifetime investment.. I'll get to the end... eventually :bouncy: