NEurope
Stocka

Skies of Arcadia Official Thread

I got it in May 2004 and got 10 hours in, to the Moon Stone Mountain entrance, but Haven't got round to finishing it since...

I'm loving the fact so many people here who hadn't bought it before are now getting it, I want as many people to appreciate the masterpiece as possible. I'm glad you all are enjoying it too, and remember, it gets better and better as it goes on.

Me too, and as they continue to play the'r love for the game will continue to grow!

Spoiler

I had written loads about how I'm loving the game (beatiful looking crescent isle, ice temple - rakhnam being purple gigas and drachma being alive and taking care of him was the just of it but there was more) but then my explorer froze as I hit submit reply! :mad:

Edit: Actaully Tphi, I think you'll find that Vyse avatars are much better (once gonna make one with both Vyse and Ramirez but gave up on looking for decent Ramirez artwork) :p

I found this game for £20 and snapped it up straight away after all the praise I'd heard other people give it. Plus I knew it would be hard to find in my town.

It is a very good game, I think it took me around 60 hours to complete and my characters were close to lvl 60.

I thought the storyline was great, especially how it made me really want to kick the Armada's ass! I mean after you gain so much (trying to not spoil things for ppl here) and then it's taken away from you...that was a touch of class.

The boss battles against the Gigas and some of the admirals were tense, which is just what I like.

So yeah, anyone who hasn't played it: Do!

I own the game on DC and love it and was just wondering if it's worth getting the GC version for the extra stuff?

Oh and a Gilder avatar would be the best!

Probably not.

There are a few more titles, discoveries and sidequests, and one big sidequest.

I also heard somewhere that you could change ships in the DC version, which you can't do in the GC version.

I also heard somewhere that you could change ships in the DC version, which you can't do in the GC version.

First I've heard.

I would say that it is worth playing Legends after the DC version if you simply can't get enough.

It's a shame that the GCN version isn't a definitive one. Whilst content wise it trumps the Dreamcast original, aesthetically it falls short. Textures are lower resolution, filtering distance has been shortened, and assets have been compressed — this is particularly noticable in regards to the soundtrack. Presumably this is due to the game now fitting on a single disk.

Probably not.

There are a few more titles, discoveries and sidequests, and one big sidequest.

It's a feature that never made it into either of the versions.

In the stats screens, you can see how much your ship is worth (in fact, one of your recruited crew's bonus when equipped is just raising your ship's value).

The value rating was gonna be part of the whole buying/selling ships thing but they took it out. I like it how it is, to be honest. And who'd sell the funking Delphinus when you got it anyway? :wtf:

PS. Ramirez avatars pwn!

It's a feature that never made it into either of the versions.

In the stats screens, you can see how much your ship is worth (in fact, one of your recruited crew's bonus when equipped is just raising your ship's value).

The value rating was gonna be part of the whole buying/selling ships thing but they took it out. I like it how it is, to be honest. And who'd sell the funking Delphinus when you got it anyway? :wtf:

PS. Ramirez avatars pwn!

Ahhh, I was wondering about the whole "raises the value of your ship" crewmember, I guess the fact they didn't have that feature in the end is that no-one would want to sell the Delphinus, it's the best ship in the world for gawds sake!

I was reminded of this game the other day by seeing a topic about it at another forum. I only got about 13 hours into the Gamecube version. Was looking for the temple on the Southern Continent. I probably got distracted (that plus the fact that it was not that long after I finished the game on the DC in 100+ hours). Must really return to it so that I can see the extra bits brought in for the GC version.

I'm loving it, I'm two and a half hours in, just about to go away form Sailors island.

I can already feel a sence of greatness! All the characters are cool and the battle system is fun!

Skies of Arcadia is an awesome game. I bought a Dreamcast solely for this game. When later it came for the Cube I was overjoyed. The game was even improved so it became EVEN better. Short: This game is exellent and should be owned by every Cube-owner. (unless you hate RPGs but you don´t, right) :wink:

*4 hour in spoilers*

I just sneaked into the colloseum and the cut-scene that followed with Fina really ahs made me fall deeply in love with this game and I want to make love it to very soon.

*/spoiler*

I don't know why but I prefer playing the Dreamcast version, maybe just the fact that it's on a Dreamcast.

What a console...

*4 hour in spoilers*

I just sneaked into the colloseum and the cut-scene that followed with Fina really ahs made me fall deeply in love with this game and I want to make love it to very soon.

*/spoiler*

Mmm fina, *listens to Fina theme mp3*

I agree with Cheapshot, the DC was a fantastic console.

I disagree with Stocka, Fina is to.. well.. not graphically advanced enough. Although my friends fancies one of the girls from FF5.

Arrrgh! I've been trying to get my hands on this game for a while, but it seems to be becoming quite rare. I've been in love with it ever since i borrowed off my friend for a while. Now I have a half-finished Skies of Arcadia save on my memory card, and it's driving me nuts! I ordered off amazon, but they didn't have it in the end. I've bought a copy of an Amazon marketplace seller, but it hasn't arrived after almost a week! I sure hope he rememebred to post it/hasn't screwed me over/it hasn't been nicked by some thieving postie!

Completed this game at 1:15 this morning and all I can say is WOW! Fantastic throughout and easily one of my favourite all time games!

Completed this game at 1:15 this morning and all I can say is WOW! Fantastic throughout and easily one of my favourite all time games!

:hehe: Its my favourite RPG ever, and my 2nd favourite game of all time. The experience was just phenomunal(sp?) it felt like a magical escape from life.

Now join the Skies of Arcadia fans like me, and pray for SOA2 :heh:

:hehe: Its my favourite RPG ever, and my 2nd favourite game of all time. The experience was just phenomunal(sp?) it felt like a magical escape from life.

Now join the Skies of Arcadia fans like me, and pray for SOA2 :heh:

You don't have to tell me, I was praying that a sequel would be announced even before I completed it!

I doubt that they would make a sequel, the ending of SOA didn't really pave the way for a sequel, did it. But if a sequel was to be planned, they might have to set it well after Vyse's time. Or start it off like the first game, the main character being a sailor on his dad's ship. But the dad is Vyse. Or the first bit but you're dad is a black pirate and the main character would either become a blue rogue or a black pirate depending on your Swashbuckler rating, bit like Fable.

Those are my suggestions/thoughts, tho. :unsure:

Textures are lower resolution, filtering distance has been shortened, and assets have been compressed — this is particularly noticable in regards to the soundtrack. Presumably this is due to the game now fitting on a single disk.

You think? I´m ready to say the complete opposite especially regarding the soundtrack. The music (especially the dungeon-battle) is greatly improved. However if you meant sounds like effects & voices then, since I haven´t played in a long while, you could be right but I consider otherwise the GC version alot better than the DC one. Oh, and one more thing, the loading-times are waaay faster on GC which is a great +. I don´t blame anyone for liking the DC version more though, afterall I myself bought a DC soley for this game.

Yeah I agree with that guy; the Dreamcast version does look better graphically.

And they horribly compressed the music for the GameCube version.

The Dreamcast has the better version in my opinion.

Woah, this game is exciting! I love the characters more than I have done since Disgaea. It may not seem much at all to you guys, but I'm playing for aover an hour a day, which is an awful lot for me.

Man, all this talk about Arcadia makes me want to play it. I haven´t played in a long time but now it´s time for it.