Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

flameboy

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argh! So much confusion surrounds Sonic Team. YES, Secret Rings was made by Sonic Team!

Apparently this is handed off to an american team (why would it have been with Prope anyway? makes NO sense and I'm still sceptical to this whole thing) and therefore it's safe to assume it's being handled by former Sonic Team USA, currently Sega Studios USA indeed responsible for tripe like Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog.

Secret Rings was put together by the consistently great former United Game Artists team, responsible for Rez, Space Channel, Feel the Magic/Project Rubber Rats or whatever they called it here, and Sonic Riders. Unless they're speeded back to Sega HQ to work on a new Sonic game I'd rather see them handle NiGHTS.

Or simply hand it off to a brand new, hungry team with fresh ideas like Nintendo did with Metroid. I think that could work out better than either. Sega Rally REVO could be an indication of Sega classics surviving similar transistions. We'll see.

Anyway, I still don't fully believe all of this. Partly because it's still surrounding April 1st in some way and we still haven't seen completely official looking artwork. To be honest, I could make the cover to Gamereactor. I'm waiting for actual screenshots.

Argh! So much confusion surrounds Sonic Team. YES, Secret Rings was made by Sonic Team!

Apparently this is handed off to an american team (why would it have been with Prope anyway? makes NO sense and I'm still sceptical to this whole thing) and therefore it's safe to assume it's being handled by former Sonic Team USA, currently Sega Studios USA indeed responsible for tripe like Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog.

Secret Rings was put together by the consistently great former United Game Artists team, responsible for Rez, Space Channel, Feel the Magic/Project Rubber Rats or whatever they called it here, and Sonic Riders. Unless they're speeded back to Sega HQ to work on a new Sonic game I'd rather see them handle NiGHTS.

Or simply hand it off to a brand new, hungry team with fresh ideas like Nintendo did with Metroid. I think that could work out better than either. Sega Rally REVO could be an indication of Sega classics surviving similar transistions. We'll see.

Anyway, I still don't fully believe all of this. Partly because it's still surrounding April 1st in some way and we still haven't seen completely official looking artwork. To be honest, I could make the cover to Gamereactor. I'm waiting for actual screenshots.

Whilst you are right in what your saying, Secret Rings was still not developed by the actual Sonic Team.

Wikipedia kinda sums it up:

SEGA AM9 was a first-party video game development studio for Sega. In 2000 AM9 became United Games Artists or (UGA) when Sega reorganized its studios to become second parties. They released three games for the Sega Dreamcast before they were merged with Sonic Team in 2003.

So whilst yes it is Sonic Team it isn't actually the team that worked on the other sonic games and instead another team that merely happens to have merged under one studio, but there are still multiple teams, made up of the UGA members and then Sonic Team, likely they are only in the same studio as a cost cutting measure.

Fact remains; saying this game is handled by Sonic Team doesn't even imply it's NOT handled by the former UGA team. They're refered to as Sonic Team now.

It's down to interpretation I guess, what I would think of as Sonic Team is not the former UGA members who worked on Secret Rings. A lot of reviews commented on the fact that it is not developed by Sonic Team...

That doesn't make it more true though. A lot of reviewers commented on Rush being good because it was back in Sonic Team's hands, and that a lot farther from the truth than any misconceptions regarding Secret Rings/STH. Dimps - A completely external team from Sega made Rush and the Advance games.

UGA merged with Sonic Team, they don't "exist" anymore apart from being an internal team. Likewise, Overworks and Wow Entertainment merged to form Sega WOW, which is now just part of "Sega". Perhaps you wanna separate the Overworks people from the rest too, but that doesn't really make it a separate company.

I think it's a different matter when they still carry their own name like Bungie does (despite being part of Microsoft Game Studios now) but when the name is lost and they're merged proper with another developer it's just confusing to refer to them as anything but Sonic Team.

Effectively, saying "nooo, I don't want Sonic Team to make this and that game!" includes the former members of UGA.

I do get what you mean, of course (should be plain to see) but I still insist that comments directed at "Sonic Team" without further specification applies to the UGA part of that team aswell.

It was made by Sonic Team, but flameboy refers to what team WITHIN Sonic Team made it.

With that he refers to staff previously working under the name United Game Artists, but those merged with Sonic Team and dropped that name.

So now they ARE Sonic Team, which makes his comment inaccurate, but what he MEANS is still valid I suppose. The UGA staff that made Secret Rings - WHILE CALLED SONIC TEAM ALONG WITH THE REST - were not involved with Sonic Heroes nor Shadow The Hedgehog.

In 2003, United Game Artists (formerly Sega AM9) merged with Sonic Team. In 2004, Sonic Team once more became an internal division of Sega after being spun off as a second-party developer in 2000. Unlike most of the other divisions, Sonic Team still retains its internal structure and name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Team

It's not down to interpretation, it's fact.

It was made by Sonic Team, but flameboy refers to what team WITHIN Sonic Team made it.

With that he refers to staff previously working under the name United Game Artists, but those merged with Sonic Team and dropped that name.

So now they ARE Sonic Team, which makes his comment inaccurate, but what he MEANS is still valid I suppose. The UGA staff that made Secret Rings - WHILE CALLED SONIC TEAM ALONG WITH THE REST - were not involved with Sonic Heroes nor Shadow The Hedgehog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Team

It's not down to interpretation, it's fact.

yeah thats what I mean. I will admit what I am saying is inaccurate, UGA are now a part of Sonic Team, but I won't take back my point that there are different development teams that now make up Sonic Team, and it was the former UGA members that made Secret Rings, but yes I guess they are still Sonic Team....

Anyway let's forget this get back on topic, we are potentially just days away from this game being confirmed...let's discuss some more stuff about the game, is it really that great on the saturn?! I've never played it (owning a N64 and a PS1 instead) so don't know about it, but even by just watching movies of it, it does seem to have a certain magical quality to it, the parts where you are flying collecting the orbs especially.

@ Flameboy

Well, have you played Amped or the Tony Hawk games any? Those games let you string tricks together to achieve huge scores, and as you built them up, you'd feel increasingly nervous and excited at the same time.

Beyond the dreamy exterior (worthy of at least.. 3 more paragraphs so I won't bother) immediately noticable with NiGHTS, that's what made it special. It employed a link/score system like that of THPS to a whole different genre, essentially creating something even broader and perhaps even more addictive.

In recent times the only game to come close to its mind boggling mixture of presentation, style and addictive gameplay (at least in my opinion) is Lumines, and it'll be interesting for me personally to see if it manages to surpass that game.

I rate the original NiGHTS and Lumines (the first) both easily as two of the best games ever, and both reside firmly in my top 3.

I guess the short answer to your question whether I think it's good is a pretty solid yes. :)

@ Flameboy

Well, have you played Amped or the Tony Hawk games any? Those games let you string tricks together to achieve huge scores, and as you built them up, you'd feel increasingly nervous and excited at the same time.

Beyond the dreamy exterior (worthy of at least.. 3 more paragraphs so I won't bother) immediately noticable with NiGHTS, that's what made it special. It employed a link/score system like that of THPS to a whole different genre, essentially creating something even broader and perhaps even more addictive.

In recent times the only game to come close to its mind boggling mixture of presentation, style and addictive gameplay (at least in my opinion) is Lumines, and it'll be interesting for me personally to see if it manages to surpass that game.

I rate the original NiGHTS and Lumines (the first) both easily as two of the best games ever, and both reside firmly in my top 3.

I guess the short answer to your question whether I think it's good is a pretty solid yes. :)

hm sounds interesting, yeah love Amped, and have played some of the older Tony Hawks games, does sound good...

Scans :D

70068_nights1_122_460lo.jpg

70074_nights2_122_484lo.jpg

70080_nights3_122_545lo.jpg

Info:

- There's no official name yet.

- A sequel wasn't made earlier because they didn't want to evolve the game graphically, they wanted to evolve it from a gameplay standpoint, make it more surreal. With the Wii they were given this chance, and they took it.

- I think it says Sega will make the official unveiling at the beginning of April.

- Two players mode.

- Online (not discussed, it sounds like could be just WiiConnect24 and no online gameplay).

- Nightopia revisited with more human characters, more enemies and bosses, more tricks and a bigger freedom of movements.

- Sonic Team is doing the game.

- Takeshi IIzuka is in charge, was the director of Sonic Heroes.

- Wii exclusive, with no idea to port it over at the moment.

- Nights will be officially revealed in April.

Wait...you're portuguese!

TRANSLATE! PLEASE!

ok :heh:

first part (the bigger bold things), sorry for the errors, I'm speed-doing it on a notepad

A unpredicted return

Nights into dreams was, and is, one cult title, frequently not understood, and not even the ruin of dreamcast demoved it's fans the hope of seeying the criature returning to Nightopia. With the new Nintendo's console a Window was open...

more coming (this text is big)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!