NEurope
flameboy

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams™, the long awaited sequel to the critically acclaimed NiGHTS franchise that gave gamers the freedom to fly in a world of dreams and imagination. NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is being developed for Nintendo’s Wii™ video game console and is scheduled to be released in Fall 2007.

“We plan to deliver a gameplay experience never before seen on the Wii with NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams,” said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. “The game takes full advantage of the unique Wii Remote controller enabling gamers to guide NiGHTS through spectacularly designed dream worlds intertwined with a story about hope and courage.”

As a fantasy jester called NiGHTS, players will fly through Nightopia, a rich and vibrant world where dreams come to life. With the innovative Wii Remote, gamers will experience a heightened sense of gliding, spiraling, and looping through seven mystical dream worlds packed with high-flying adventure. Players must find inventive ways to confront the “Nightmarens” from the neighboring dark world of Nightmare using amazing acrobatic skills, freedom of flight, and other special abilities to protect Nightopia. NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is an adventure filled with courage, hope and inspiration that the whole family will enjoy this holiday season.

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is being developed for Nintendo’s Wii™ video game console and is scheduled to be released in Autumn 2007.

People dont read all the posts in this thread? :sad:

If this comes out around then this game may be rushed, but certainly it will be flooded among the other killer-apps. I wouldn't buy it.

If this comes out around then this game may be rushed, but certainly it will be flooded among the other killer-apps. I wouldn't buy it.

I really hope it isn't rushed, Sonic Team's last rushed game turned out to be one of the most diabolical games ever made.

I would be more than happy if this game got delayed so it can be improved,i just don't want them rushing it,they need to treat it delicatley so they can get it just right and not screw up.

Well NiGHTS is a killer app for sure. If the term still applies to "system seller" then count that in.

Even if it cost the price of a Wii + the game and came out for consoles people already have, the fans would buy it. They're that dedicated.

Heck look at Sonic fans, they're sticking with the blue blur through all kinds of trash, and NiGHTS has that following too, it's just not been as noisy.. since really, nobody expected this to be true.

So yeah, even if it comes out in the midst of Prime 3 and Galaxy, I don't think it'd have trouble finding an audience. If you look at the other systems, holidays that crowded is actually rather common, and there's enough people to go around.

Don't know if it's been posted already, but apparently it's been under development since E3 last year under the codename "Project Bedtime Story". This is according to a NiGHTs fansite which apparently has known about the game for quite a while. I don't see why I should doubt it.

It also has alot of information about early development plans. It's all pretty nice stuff.

Edit: Okay, there's a shit load of information about gameplay there, I never noticed.

More details:

Ability to wear masks:

- Dragon Mask : Nights becomes a huge dragon and isn't affected by the wind anymore

- Dolphin Mask : Nights becomes a dolphin and flies under the sea

- Skyrocket Mask : Nights becomes a skyrocket and benefits from a supersonic speed

- 7 worlds to explore

- Wiiconnect24 : trade items with friends, change the landscape according to the meteo channel

Source: http://www.sega-europe.com/fr/Game/564.htm

Yay! the landscape thing looks awesome.

Ah cool,nice find pedro.Landscapes bit does sound good though doesnt it.

But what's the meteo channel?

If I was feeling a cruel I'd probably suggest that they make a special Welsh addition where they simply turn the rain on every level instead of bothering linking it to the weather channel.

If I was feeling a cruel I'd probably suggest that they make a special Welsh addition where they simply turn the rain on every level instead of bothering linking it to the weather channel.

Oi! It's lovely weather outside today here in Sunny South Wales.

Eat your words, fool. ;)

Yeah it's the weather channel! From IGN,

Slightly behind on the news, but that sounds WAY cool.

Simple, but effective. :)

It'd be even cooler to see the Everybody Votes Channel get used.

It is indeed true that the game is a whole new sequel with new characters and design elements, but at the same time paying homage to the original. It is not yet known to us how the two games link in terms of story but we know that two new dreamer children were designed called 'Kevin' and 'Helen' in early the development stage. Both of them being very blonde, Sonic 360 in appearance, with connections to Claris and Elliot unknown. It was said that the children were very British in appearance at the time. Kevin's story was the only one we had background details on. We will speak more about this after the Sega official confirmation this month. Even if it does change. I know you guys like production info because we missed out on it back in 1996.

We're gonna have chav main characters this time around.

To bad I'll never see the snow version of the levels.
You can always change your country of residence. :heh:

EDIT:

Scan from Famitsu:

vip482693_01.jpg

Im just hoping they keep the original NiGHTS theme music in the game, even if they remix it a little, man I love that tune.

For those that (like me) didn't have the opportunity do play this game, and have no specific idea of it, I recommend watching this vid:

http://raygunrobot.com/archives/NiGHTS-A-retrospective

After watching, I can say that I really felt the magic of the game and I understand now why it has this cult following. I don't know how the other levels are, didn't like this one that much (never did like snow themed levels), but the boss fight looked great, the way a dream is meant to be. I hope they create more abstract/surreal levels and make them a bit more free. The gameplay defiantly has to evolve, most gamers can't keep interest in a game just for item collection, maybe add some puzzle solving elements (maybe they already did, I don't know). And ultimately, I have no idea how the Wiimote fits in this, I just hope it isn't gimmick (please, I don't want to hold it like a little plane).

I remember I read in like 1999 that Sonic Team were working on a DC sequel to nights, but that it had been put on hold so that Sonic Adventure would be released for the DC launch.

I remember I read in like 1999 that Sonic Team were working on a DC sequel to nights, but that it had been put on hold so that Sonic Adventure would be released for the DC launch.
Not on hold, cancelled, because Naka didn't want to make a sequel to a game he thought of being perfect.

It was still canceled back in 1998 though. It was called AiR NiGHTS; they somehow implied in Maxi Consolas article that the game had been awakened from it's slumber, meaning the planning stages were most likely taken from AiR NiGHTS (perhaps even some polygon models and code)

Huh Dante? Well haha, maybe they changed their mind on revealing NiGHTS seeing as it has already been revealed!? Is there any new info on Mario Footy in it?

ONM only mention Nights Wii and showing Sega Saturn screenshots to the original game. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: