NEurope
flameboy

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

Because it's the only thing on the release radar lol.

My radar must be screwed then. Godfather (maybe it already came out, don't know), Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, DBZ Tenkaichi 2,Umbrella Chronicles, Pokémon Battle Revolution,Lego Batman (I loved Lego Star Wars),MySims(maybe), Harvest Moon, Mortal Kombat, Cooking Mama, Treasure Island Z, Oopoona, Cristal Chronicles, Fire Emblem and Super Smash Bros Brawl. Of course you'll cut 98% of the list because they're not "AAA", "epic", "mature" or God knows what.

Well why the heck are you criticizing my point of view then. If your not impressed with me actually playing the game and not actually a good game, and the fact that it got some very bad reviews from european magazines.
Solitanze II confirmed.

As far as I'm concerned... you just didn't understood the games magic and were probably too busy looking for flaws considering the ones you point out... that's fine with me but that doesn't make it a bad game for the people who liked it. We still want a sequel even if you don't, if you don't like it don't buy it.

Yeah you "fly through rings to stop nightmares and save children"; kinda similar for criticizing Zelda for being about "Dungeons and Bosses and being about save Hyrule" honestly.

I remember a discussion with you involved a while back discussing what was you considered a game and what's you didn't, I guess what you described is just a game like any other with objectives and achievements, so we are safe now from you considering NiGHTS a non-game, thank god.

About gameplay... did you play it with NiGHTS joystick or the classic Saturn controller? just a thought, but the controller was actually made (and bundled) with the game for a good reason, always played wonderful back then and I bet it still does. Playing it on Saturn's standard controller was crap by comparison.

Of course you could be just frustrated with it, being NiGHTS a score game, you'll get better and better the best you know and have memorized that level. Can't ask to play like a pro in the first play through a level.

Just my two cents, and like pointed, it's a 11 year old game.

Well why the heck are you criticizing my point of view then. If your not impressed with me actually playing the game and not actually a good game, and the fact that it got some very bad reviews from european magazines.

I'm not criticizing your point of view, just an obvious explanation for your "disappointment". How about calming down and respect other people?

I'm not criticizing your point of view, just an obvious explanation for your "disappointment". How about calming down and respect other people?

That is madness!

That is madness!

Madness?! THIS IS N-EEEE!! (I can't control myself =( )

Solitanze II confirmed.

As far as I'm concerned... you just didn't understood the games magic and were probably too busy looking for flaws considering the ones you point out... that's fine with me but that doesn't make it a bad game for the people who liked it. We still want a sequel even if you don't, if you don't like it don't buy it.

Yeah you "fly through rings to stop nightmares and save children"; kinda similar for criticizing Zelda for being about "Dungeons and Bosses and being about save Hyrule" honestly.

I remember a discussion with you involved a while back discussing what was you considered a game and what's you didn't, I guess what you described is just a game like any other with objectives and achievements, so we are safe now from you considering NiGHTS a non-game, thank god.

About gameplay... did you play it with NiGHTS joystick or the classic Saturn controller? just a thought, but the controller was actually made (and bundled) with the game for a good reason, always played wonderful back then and I bet it still does. Playing it on Saturn's standard controller was crap by comparison.

Of course you could be just frustrated with it, being NiGHTS a score game, you'll get better and better the best you know and have memorized that level. Can't ask to play like a pro in the first play through a level.

Just my two cents, and like pointed, it's a 11 year old game.

The thought of playing Nights with the analogue controller gets me all giddy. Sadly, I've not had the opportunity. I still enjoy it without it though. Thoroughly. ZeldaFreak just wants to cause controversy, the shlag.

Thoroughly. ZeldaFreak just wants to cause controversy.

Yep. Check out ZeldaFreaks post history.

Yep. Check out ZeldaFreaks post history.

I don't want to create controversy all I'm saying is that Sega is creating a game that is kinda lame gameplay wise. And I can bet your bottom dollar you probably won't use the controller on its side but pointing it as a wand to try and steer the character through the rings.

But I slightly digress I played it using a controller called the EM pad or something like that for the PC. And Zelda at least has some variety in the continuaty(sp?) of the formula for it. Whereas the NiGHT game is go to goal, defeat boss oh wait you finished the game.

P.S. I'm not Solinaze, or whatever he was called, all I'm saying is the original game was hyped to the nth degree in the states and in japan - whereas us europeans thought it was a shit game. So I'm just saying ...

My radar must be screwed then. Godfather (maybe it already came out, don't know), Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, DBZ Tenkaichi 2,Umbrella Chronicles, Pokémon Battle Revolution,Lego Batman (I loved Lego Star Wars),MySims(maybe), Harvest Moon, Mortal Kombat, Cooking Mama, Treasure Island Z, Oopoona, Cristal Chronicles, Fire Emblem and Super Smash Bros Brawl. Of course you'll cut 98% of the list because they're not "AAA", "epic", "mature" or God knows what.

agree with all that list excpet cooking mama. It's obviously crap

I don't want to create controversy all I'm saying is that Sega is creating a game that is kinda lame gameplay wise. And I can bet your bottom dollar you probably won't use the controller on its side but pointing it as a wand to try and steer the character through the rings.

But I slightly digress I played it using a controller called the EM pad or something like that for the PC. And Zelda at least has some variety in the continuaty(sp?) of the formula for it. Whereas the NiGHT game is go to goal, defeat boss oh wait you finished the game.

P.S. I'm not Solinaze, or whatever he was called, all I'm saying is the original game was hyped to the nth degree in the states and in japan - whereas us europeans thought it was a shit game. So I'm just saying ...

i agree with a lot of this. I also don't believe that many of you actually played the original. Barely anyone had a saturn(i had)

Random thought: Is the music for the NiGHTS pinball table in Sonic Adventure part of the series itself? I'd love to hear it again.

You say you played it on the PC, does that mean you ever played it in it's original form? If so, when? Recently, or during its prime?

The game is hyped to death, but it does feel a bit wrong to judge an old game such as this years after it initially saw a release. Even if it isn't a 'great game', it was still something hugely different at the time, and maybe that's why so many want a sequel?

agree with all that list excpet cooking mama. It's obviously crap

i agree with a lot of this. I also don't believe that many of you actually played the original. Barely anyone had a saturn(i had)

Hey, to each one it's one. :P

Anyway, hurray to 2007 release.

h-103_69395_400.jpg.jpg

h-103_69395_320.jpg.jpg

According to Famitsu, Sonic Team USA will have its sequel to legendary Saturn title NiGHTS ready for a Wii release this winter. NiGHTS 2 will now be known as NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (although that name isn't confirmed for the Japanese market). Famitsu explains that the main attraction of Journey of Dreams is how it provides gameplay with the Wii Remote, where you can glide, drift, ascend, and loop-the-loop without even thinking about the controls. Takashi Izuka of Sonic Team USA is Producer of NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. He leaves Famitsu, and the rest of the weeping-with-tears-of-joy world, with this comment:

"In 1996, we created the NiGHTS character to achieve a concept of 'being refreshed from being able to fly in the sky'. 11 years later, at last, we have broken our silence. NiGHTS will now fly in a new dream world: new stages, new story, and on the new Wii platform. Please look forward to NiGHTS and friends exploring this brand new adventure."

www.famitsu.com

@ ZeldaFreak

Brits/europeans didn't think this was shit. It's like you're 10 years old and simply "heard of the olden days!". NiGHTS recieved global acclaim, and CVG especially (which was a good mag back then) praised it to absolute bits.

The quality of the gameplay especially was emphasised, and anyone who's actually gotten lost, absorbed, addicted to the score system would outright laugh at the claim that it was "meh" in that regard.

With every hyped game there's a natural backlash of haters. Sure, disagree with its great reputation based on your opinion that short but 'score/rank' based = shallow and shit, but that doesn't affect the quality of the game in the slightest.

While your definition of a game and what makes a game is frightening, it does explain why you'd find little to like in this. It's extremely suggestive, surreal and sometimes even abstract in its presentation - but if it's superficial content you're after it's in there. You just need to use your noggin'.

In fact, to most people NiGHTS is Sega's Mario 64.

Ermm... For the PC? through emulation? pleeeease :shakehead

Sega had a PC division, but NiGHTS was never even ported to PC and Saturn Emulation is still far from 100%.

That's pretty much like calling OoT crap because you played it on a PC with a dual shock clone, lol. That said at least OoT is better emulated.

Seriously that's mindblowing, taking conclusions in those conditions.

Also, NiGHTS concept is simplicity, but now you're criticizing it for not being Zelda? Seriously what did you expect?

As for Reviews, first I don't remember it getting bad reviews and it was 11 years ago, that means I was 9 years old back then, I didn't cared (and still don't), looking at your profile you were 8 years old then, I'm inclined to say you're going by someone else's opinion or something you read ( that isn't necessarily true), I mean, there's no way you "lived" those reviews you talk about; let alone play the game in 1996.

Edge gave it 8/10 if that's what you mean; Sega Saturn Magazine gave it 96%.

This is it's score to this day on Gamestats:

nightsgamestatop2.png

Look at the date of the reviews and notice they were done a "few" years later, and still gave that quotation; yeah, crap game confirmed. :indeed:

Solitanze only cared about reviews, hence the comparison, he was also narrow-minded to the point of judging all the games based on that without trying them.

So basically, you lied about playing it and are trying to cause controversy. You're attention seeking. You'd make a damn good character in Clueless, that's for sure.

And if you're wondering why I believe you're lying, Sega Saturn emulation is a bitch to do, and someone of your clearly limited intelligence could achieve no such feet.

We don't agree with you not because we're some religious cult called Nintendo fanboys. We disagree with you because you're a short sighted, pessimistic, childish and ignorant poster. Everybody's entitled to his own opinion, but don't come here and repeatedly provoke it on us whilst crying that we're fanboys and 'harrassing' you.

Ermm... For the PC? through emulation? pleeeease :shakehead

Sega had a PC division, but NiGHTS was never even ported to PC and Saturn Emulation is still far from 100%.

That's pretty much like calling OoT crap because you played it on a PC with a dual shock clone, lol. That said at least OoT is better emulated.

Seriously that's mindblowing, taking conclusions in those conditions.

Also, NiGHTS concept is simplicity, but now you're criticizing it for not being Zelda? Seriously what did you expect?

As for Reviews, first I don't remember it getting bad reviews and it was 11 years ago, that means I was 9 years old back then, I didn't cared (and still don't), looking at your profile you were 8 years old then, I'm inclined to say you're going by someone else's opinion or something you read ( that isn't necessarily true), I mean, there's no way you "lived" those reviews you talk about; let alone play the game in 1996.

Edge gave it 8/10 if that's what you mean; Sega Saturn Magazine gave it 96%.

This is it's score to this day on Gamestats:

nightsgamestatop2.png

Look at the date of the reviews and notice they were done a "few" years later, and still gave that quotation; yeah, crap game confirmed. :indeed:

Solitanze only cared about reviews, hence the comparison, he was also narrow-minded to the point of judging all the games based on that without trying them.

Daves Sega Saturn Page please, now come on if you look hard enough you can get decent quality emulators if you look in the right place. It was a shit game, I played it for christ sakes. Its boring, repetitive and yawn inspiring. And if people think its an actual "good" game then colour me golden and give me a million pound.

So basically, you lied about playing it and are trying to cause controversy. You're attention seeking. You'd make a damn good character in Clueless, that's for sure.

And if you're wondering why I believe you're lying, Sega Saturn emulation is a bitch to do, and someone of your clearly limited intelligence could achieve no such feet.

Look in the right places then you can find an emulator to run NiGHTs. Tis still crap though.

We don't agree with you not because we're some religious cult called Nintendo fanboys. We disagree with you because you're a short sighted, pessimistic, childish and ignorant poster. Everybody's entitled to his own opinion, but don't come here and repeatedly provoke it on us whilst crying that we're fanboys and 'harrassing' you.

I'm so happy. Seriously. He's always like this and I'm just glad people are realising.

Daves Sega Saturn Page please, now come on if you look hard enough you can get decent quality emulators if you look in the right place. It was a shit game, I played it for christ sakes. Its boring, repetitive and yawn inspiring. And if people think its an actual "good" game then colour me golden and give me a million pound.

Look in the right places then you can find an emulator to run NiGHTs. Tis still crap though.

I can't believe you're still defending that bullsh*t, you played it on a PC with a no-name controller and on a emulator are you expecting the gameplay to feel the same? not even on saturn it feels the same from the saturn controller to the analog one, let alone on a so-so emulation experience and a crappy no-name pad for god's sake.

Decent emulation is by no means perfect; on a PC the input of controls is often lagged on emulators too, so it could really disrupt a game like NiGHTS being played, then again, 1996 is not synonym of 2006 so of course the game has aged; problem is you are unable to see and appreciate the game it for what it is. (and not for what it isn't) I said it before and I'll say it again, you saw what you wanted.

Not liking the title is possible, it has yet to be invented the title that appeals to everyone, but questioning and attacking it's quality? Domstercool for example said this game was not his cup of tea, fair enough, no one questioned that, it's his opinion; he never said the game was crap though. That would be sort of insulting it's fans.

I don't even know why we loose our time scolding you about obvious things.

Funny how the argument about bad reviews is nowhere to be found now, shame the argument "I played it on a PC though emulation, it's crap" is still going.

Back on-topic now; I seriously doubt that 2007 release date. Given the things we've seen so far this game is far from finished - that date seems way too optimistic.

In fact, it would be quite typically Sonic Team to release unfinished/faulty games seeing Sonic 360 :sad:

What I really find annoying is the way you're not just saying "I thought it was crap" you're actually claiming that it is fact. So now if you're not doing it to provoke some kind of reaction you're just a moron.

Anyway, I'd assume that the game has been in planning and development since they were shown the Wii style. There was alot of "confirmations" of Wii Nights in it's early stages, and Yuji Naka would know way let the game image be harmed.

Look in the right places then you can find an emulator to run NiGHTs.

This is just a lie! :o I thought liars were extinct now that we have the internet to disprove practically anything. You're possibly the biggest idiot I've seen on the net. :o

Anyhoo, indeed back on topic. NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams has apparently been in development for about a year already, and for a game on this relatively modest scale, two yearsish of development time should be enough.

Also, I don't think Sega sees a need to rush this out after 11 years, especially considering how highly regarded it is.