N-Europe

Capcom Studio Head Talks Mature Titles, Reusing Engines

Dante

In a GDC 2007 lecture, Head of Capcom Production Studio 2 Keiji Inafune discussed the troubles in porting some of Capcom's next-gen engines to Wii and if he'd be willing to develop mature titles for the system.

When asked if the engines for Xbox 360's Lost Planet: Extreme Condition and Dead Rising would be used for projects on other platforms, Inafune stated that the engines has been optimized for multiplatform usage, but that they wouldn't work on Wii. Instead, the developer is looking to utilize the Resident Evil 4 engine for some Wii projects.

Inafune mentioned that although there's an industry trend towards photorealism in video games, he's still interested in creating franchises with iconic mascots like Mega Man, and that Wii would be a suitable platform for such titles. According to Inafune, Capcom is planning an announcement in the near future regarding a potential new franchise, though did not state if it will pertain to Wii.

The Wiire asked if titles like mature games like Dead Rising and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition would be suitable for Wii and if Capcom is interested in appealing to the Wii owners who desire mature titles. Inafune said all the next-generation systems will all see their share of mature projects, and that Nintendo's new attitude as of late, different from the one exuded throughout much of GameCube's lifespan, allows a better opportunity to develop mature games on Wii - Resident Evil 4 being a notable example.

Inafune, who joined Capcom 20 years ago, is credited with creating the Mega Man, Dead Rising and Onimusha franchises. He also helped develop Resident Evil 2 and 4, and served as director for Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. He is currently developing an unnamed Wii game.

The Wiire

Wow, we're going to get some visually stunning games from people other than Nintendo!

Here's what I want from him:

- Downloadable content from Wii Shop

- Resident Evil 4 Wiimake (they can add motion controls and it will sell more due to the bigger Wii audience)

- Resident Evil 5 (even though he said it won't happen)

- Dead Rising Wii

- Lost Planet Wii

Time Crisis only worked in the arcades because you died so often and never had enough money to carry on with the game, making people constantly want to improve their skills.

When you played TC2 on the PS2 it turned out to be a very short game that you didn't want to come back to.

If Namco were willing to make a nice long Time Crisis game that would be nice, although after playing 3 the franchise has gone down the crapper.

Wow, we're going to get some visually stunning games from people other than Nintendo!

Here's what I want from him:

- Downloadable content from Wii Shop

- Resident Evil 4 Wiimake (they can add motion controls and it will sell more due to the bigger Wii audience)

- Resident Evil 5 (even though he said it won't happen)

- Dead Rising Wii

- Lost Planet Wii

1) Yes a game that offers downloadable stuff would be awesome agree.

2) No it we don't want any more wiimakaes, plus it was ported on to the ps2.

3) RE:Umbrella chronicles is coming to the wii for you.

4) and 5) won't come to the wii at all

But what I want to see from him is Megaman 64 sequel.

In a GDC 2007 lecture, Head of Capcom Production Studio 2 Keiji Inafune discussed the troubles in porting some of Capcom's next-gen engines to Wii and if he'd be willing to develop mature titles for the system.

When asked if the engines for Xbox 360's Lost Planet: Extreme Condition and Dead Rising would be used for projects on other platforms, Inafune stated that the engines has been optimized for multiplatform usage, but that they wouldn't work on Wii. Instead, the developer is looking to utilize the Resident Evil 4 engine for some Wii projects.

Inafune mentioned that although there's an industry trend towards photorealism in video games, he's still interested in creating franchises with iconic mascots like Mega Man, and that Wii would be a suitable platform for such titles. According to Inafune, Capcom is planning an announcement in the near future regarding a potential new franchise, though did not state if it will pertain to Wii.

The Wiire asked if titles like mature games like Dead Rising and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition would be suitable for Wii and if Capcom is interested in appealing to the Wii owners who desire mature titles. Inafune said all the next-generation systems will all see their share of mature projects, and that Nintendo's new attitude as of late, different from the one exuded throughout much of GameCube's lifespan, allows a better opportunity to develop mature games on Wii - Resident Evil 4 being a notable example.

Inafune, who joined Capcom 20 years ago, is credited with creating the Mega Man, Dead Rising and Onimusha franchises. He also helped develop Resident Evil 2 and 4, and served as director for Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. He is currently developing an unnamed Wii game.

The Wiire

Nothing really new here. A Capcom exec mentioned a while ago that the Wii would see certain types of games (read family oriented). The use of RE4's engine for a future Wii project was known also. And the rest (Lost Planet: Extreme Condition not suitable for Wii) was pretty obvious.

The Wii really needs support from Capcom, they are producing some really great games at the moment!

I think a remake of Resi 4 for the Wii would be a complete waste of time and would much rather Capcom use the Resi 4 engine for;

Exclusive Wii remakes of Resi 2 and Resi 3, games that would sell fantastically well!

Wii doesn't get Resi 5, so Resi 2 & 3 would make up for it! along with Umbrella Chronicles!

I'd also like to see;

• Powerstone 3,
  • Killer 7 sequel - Wii-mote as light gun
  • Viewtiful Joe 3 - Wii-mote actions used for moves and for drawing in the cel-shaded world to change/alter landscape etc... similar to how you used the stylus in the DS game, but better! (also kind of similar to Okami)!
  • P.N.03 sequel - Dance actions with the Wii-mote to perform moves
  • Devil May Cry Wii
  • Steet Fighter
  • Marvel vs Capcom

After seeing the new Mario Galaxy vid, the Ressie 4 engine won't do justice here. Hope they actually bother to optimalise it for the Wii with better textures and shading.

Best news is 'mature' games by Capcom though.

Makes sense. An optimized RE4 engine for Wii will probably be able to produce graphics close to first genereation X360 games (without HD). I'm really looking forward to RE: UC. Classic RE settings + RE4 gameplay and graphics + Wii controls = Potentially awesome game.

Original Devil May Cry and Onimusha games would be fun as well.

Inafune slams Clover Studio.. In particular Atsushi Inaba

When you looked over the games that came from Clover Studios, why do you think that audiences didn't respond to those games, Okami and Viewtiful Joe in particular, which got excellent reviews?

Perhaps I might get into trouble if I say this in front of people from the mass media. Games are not a work of art. It's actually a product. If we think of it as a work of art, then... when we think about Picasso and Van Gogh's paintings, the end result is beauty, so it doesn't matter if you sell it or not. However for games, it's a product. It is a commodity. The producer has to think about that.

Okami and Viewtiful Joe, I think, are wonderful games and because they are wonderful games I think, the job of the director was fantastic. But the producer didn't do his work. The producers work is to make the team make good games and then sell those games. The producer has to do the promotion. They have to think about the promotion. The producer has to take those good games and think about how to deliver it to as many users as possible. Certainly to get good reviews is part of his job. However, the producer has to make sure the game sells [on par with the review]. I think the producer dropped the ball there. Capcom said they would do it, but Clover said "Oh, we'll do it ourselves." And I think this was a failure.

Great directors may exist in great numbers, however, if you don't have a good producer it won't lead to sales. And I think this Clover Studios example is a really good example of that.

And that's why SEEDS, Inc. was formed.

The three major creators of Capcom still believe you can make artistic games (or at least games that are more than a Madden game with a different number stamped on it) and that's why with SEEDS they are saying

F-U to the shareholders and Capcom execs that fear taking chances!

:heh:

Although I love games like Okami and Viewtiful Joe the man speaks the truth.

probably gonna buy the SEEDS games but i doubt the company will last long.

Shinji Mikami, one of the members of SEEDS apparently has an idea of how to make it last. He mentioned that if 1 out of 5 games becomes a hit, that 1 game can help support the other 4. That way they can keep taking chances.

Capcom didn't think much of Mikami's ideas, though. And that is why he's with one foot out of the company (still has a contract with them).

If 1 Crazy Frog game can support 4 Okamis, why not?
I'll go as far was saying Inaba and Mikami could make a Crazy Frog game work. (well they made a power rangers *viewtiful joe* game work) That's just how magic studio Clover was, if SEEDS can keep that kind of talent... there's little they can't make. (unless that's money, and I certainly wish them sales or Nintendo funding)

That's the best complement I can think of, to be honest; crazy frog sucks. :p

Recently I read that Mikami was hanging around Kojima and Suda 51. They aren't working on a game that I know of (yet I've read that Suda 51 is considering doing a project with Kojima), but they will do a gig in a Japanese disco joint. Sort of a conference entitled "Snake vs Zombie" where Kojima and Mikami will talk about their games and how they come up with their crazy ideas.

Anywhoo, if Suda 51 were to work with SEEDS in any way... I expect only good things to come out of that.