N-Europe

... and something strange happened

Everblue

Yesterday I switched on my Wii to play some sports...

... it booted to the Wii channels and everything was fine

... I selected Wii sports

... and the wiimote stopped working, I pressed the A button on it and the blue led on it would just blink (all 4 of them)

... I replaced the batteries with new ones, but that did not solve the prob, so I put the batteries back

... I put the system in standby mode (manually), pressed A button again but, again, it wouldnt work

... I switched off the Wii completely, switched it back on and the wiimote worked

What could have gone wrong?

does your screen turn black as well? or is that just me, because sometimes i load a game and the screen goes black when its changing to the 'make sure you put your strap on blah' but it never comes, i think it crashes when loading or something. But the remote doesn't work and if i press a button all of the LED's just flash blue and do nothing :confused:

does your screen turn black as well? or is that just me, because sometimes i load a game and the screen goes black when its changing to the 'make sure you put your strap on blah' but it never comes, i think it crashes when loading or something. But the remote doesn't work and if i press a button all of the LED's just flash blue and do nothing :confused:

It is just the Wii crashing; it's happened to me on the Mii channel before (though it wasn't black, only the Mii channel background was visible) and when playing a couple of GC games; it hasn't happened to me in a while though and you shouldn't worry about it unless it happens pretty regularly.

Yes, I had this happen to me once about a week after getting the Wii on launch day. It did worry me at first, but as it was the only time it has ever happened I'd almost forgotten about it now.

If it keeps happening on a regular basis, then I'd see about getting a replacement unit, otherwise, don't worry about it, these things happen - nothing these days is ever 100% bug free.

I had the black screen thing a few times, but on one occasion noticed that the wiimote was vibrating the way it does when you go over a button.

Dunno if the problem is to do with how the video out port works, but simply unplugging and reconnecting the video cable at the back of the machine brings the screen back every time.

I've had the black screen happen a few times and had to unplug the Wii to get it working again. Usually happens when entering a channel.

Don't you just have to wait for the channel to load then? Cause sometimes when I load a channel, it will show a black screen for ages (like more than a minute when opening the voting channel today), but then eventually the channel will open.

Anyway, I've had the problem with the remotes a couple of times already. The only thing that seems to help is to unplug the power of the Wii, and then just turn it on again; should fix it. Though it is very annoying when it happens (especially since the plug on my Wii is very hard to reach)...

Have you tryed re-synchronising the controller with the console?

Something like that happend to me on the second day I had it, I re-synced the controller and from then on I've never had a problem with my console.

Well apart from setting the damn wifi up...

There are occassional errors like this that are easily solved by switching it off until the light goes red (not yellow/orange). For instance, my Wii has crashed about five times in the Internet Channel, and the off button (holding it down) is the only way out.

Don't you just have to wait for the channel to load then? Cause sometimes when I load a channel, it will show a black screen for ages (like more than a minute when opening the voting channel today), but then eventually the channel will open.

Yeah sometimes it takes a while for the channel to load but on a few occasions I have left it for quite some time....ie gone to get a drink, gone to the toilet etc I come back and still have the black screen. So I get a little impatient and unplug then it seems to load the channels instantly after reboot.

I have the same thing with the channel taking ages to come up. And I'm almost 99% sure the wii24connect is to blame for it currently. At least, I use a dongle to connect so my pc has to be on and the dongle actived for the wii to connect, and I never get the minute of black screen when it's not on, but almost always when it is connected.

PS: when you leave for a while when the screen is black and you come backa and it still black, don't forget to push a few buttons on the wiimote first before disconnecting the system, because I've noticed the wiimote does loose connection after a while when it takes long for the system to response.