NEurope
AshMat

GTA IV

News has it that the PS3 version is miles behind in development compared to the 360 version, not to mention at E3 it looked very rough considering it was supposed to be out in a few months.

And Rockstar themselves have been saying that people should get the 360 version.

Surprisingly i'm not that surprised by this....

Slightly dissapointed though!

However i have a very strong feeling a certain plumber could well do the samething....

Don't say that! lol

Don't say that! lol

I would hate that too! but anything could happen, Rockstar gave this a extremely secure release date months ago and now look...

It's doubtful though.

Its Aug 2nd, its was supposed to be out mid Oct. Thats atleast 6 weeks :p

But yeah, its not months either. So we're both wrong.

By my calendar that's about two and a half months, so you were right.

Got to agree with you there Owen.

But like I've said before, if it makes for a better game, then I'm all for it!

Got to agree with you there Owen.

But like I've said before, if it makes for a better game, then I'm all for it!

The games not going to be any better, they're just waiting for the PS3 development team to catch up with the 360 one.

Analyst Michael Pachter believes Rockstar has delayed the release of Grand Theft Auto IV because it is struggling with development on the PlayStation 3, GamesIndustry.biz is reporting.

And the Xbox 360 version of the game has suffered at least a six month delay as a result, due to contractual obligations that will have prevented the publisher from releasing the game first on Microsoft's machine, says the analyst.

Advertisement

"We think it is likely that the Rockstar team had difficulty in building an exceptionally complicated game for the PS3, and failed to recognise how far away from completion the game truly was until recently," said Pachter.

"We think it is also likely that Take-Two had a contractual commitment to Sony that it would not favour competitor Microsoft by launching the Xbox 360 version of GTA IV prior to launching the PS3 version, and believe that any delay of the PS3 version necessitated a delay of the Xbox 360 version," he added.

This failure to recognise development problems could dent investor confidence in the publisher, even after it has taken steps to improve the green light process for software development.

"Take-Two management stumbled badly for the first time during their tenure," commented Pachter.

"While the delay of GTA IV was clearly not the fault of new management, we believe that it should have been better understood several months ago, and should have been communicated to investors much earlier than today.

"The company has begun an initiative to improve the green light process for new projects, but given the delays of Manhunt and GTA, its process for monitoring projects under development appears to be a failure," he said.

Another reason to jump on the hate towards ps3 bandwagon!

The games not going to be any better, they're just waiting for the PS3 development team to catch up with the 360 one.

Yeah, I know that, but we were talking about Mario Galaxy, if that was delayed, then it would be to improve the game

During a late afternoon conference call on Thursday for analysts and media, Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick said that he didn't see much benefit in discussing the specific technical issues that forced he and Rockstar to delay Grand Theft Auto IV until Spring 2008, and he remained true to his word. But that doesn't mean that the staff of Level Up can't engage in some informed speculation about what may have taken place.

Until earlier this week, when a source informed us that Microsoft had sent a shock team of engineers to help Rockstar complete the game, much of the gossip surrounding problems with GTA IV centered around the Playstation 3 version. Rockstar has been pretty quiet about that SKU; the game has only been demonstrated to media running on the Xbox 360; the GTA IV trailer wasn't even shown during Sony's E3 press conference, ostensibly because Rockstar never responded to requests for footage from Sony PR. Throw that into the mix with all of the non-Rockstar scuttlebutt--several developers have said that it's difficult to develop for PS3; porting from Xbox 360 to PS3 is said to be harder than the other way around; yet many developers are choosing to lead on Xbox 360 because of its larger installed base, resulting in PS3 versions of games shipping weeks after the Xbox 360 SKU has already gone out the door--and the stage was set for an October surprise: GTA IV becoming a de facto Xbox 360 exclusive. Instead, both versions have been pushed back to next year. What happened?

We believe that Rockstar is having difficulty with both versions of the game, not just the PS3. GTA IV executive Sam Houser basically said as much in the press release, "The game is huge and is pushing the hardware platforms to their absolute limits. The top engineers from Sony and Microsoft are working closely with the team in Edinburgh right now, helping us to fully leverage the power of both platforms." That was echoed by Zelnick on the conference call, who said, " There are technical challenges across the board on both PS3 and 360." If Rockstar could have completed the 360 version in time for its previously scheduled October release, it would have done so. Why? Because Take-Two definitely needs the revenue from what is by far its biggest franchise, and Microsoft desperately wanted to convert PlayStation 2 fans to Xbox 360 aficionados.

With a $50 million deal already in place for two downloadable follow-up episodes exclusive to the Xbox 360, it's likely that Microsoft and Take-Two/Rockstar also had a co-marketing arrangement in place, where Microsoft and Take-Two would spend an equal amount of money to promote GTA IV, in exchange for Microsoft getting to slap its logo at the end of all of those costly TV ads. In fact, it wouldn't surprise us if Rockstar and Take-Two had already all-but-delayed the PS3 version to triage the Xbox 360 version for this holiday, only to have their hands forced when, at yesterday's product review, it became clear to both sides that even the 360 version could not be completed this year to Rockstar's exacting standards.

How did Rockstar end up in this situation? First, each of the 3-D Grand Theft Auto games--GTA III, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, GTA Liberty City Stories and GTA Vice City Stories--were initially developed for one platform at a time. Ditto for the original Manhunt. So Rockstar North has little experience with simultaneous development. Second, the console versions of GTA were developed on external middleware like Renderware, while GTA IV is being developed on Rockstar's own Rockstar Advanced Game Engine technology, aka RAGE. So while it's true that the company put RAGE through its paces for last year's Table Tennis, there's a big difference between two characters in a confined arena and a simulation of New York City filled with hundreds of people.

In short, it looks like the always-ambitious Rockstar simply bit off more than it could chew across the board; added to the challenge of developing for two powerhouse consoles simultaneously, the company finally had to admit defeat and ask for more time. And while this decision creates some short-term challenges for Take-Two and Microsoft, as gamers, we're happy that Houser is holding the line on the game's quality rather than pushing it out the door for the sake of the bottom line. Thankfully, for Rockstar, it's not all about the C.R.E.A.M.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/08/02/speculation-on-the-factors-behind-gta-iv-delay.aspx

Basically saying that it could be the fact that the data storage on 360 isn't as good as it should be, thats what I got from reading it.

It sound as thought from that, rocstar care more about the 360 version than the PS3 one, which is a little wierd considering its been a playstation franchise for years.

Ahwell, its better they hold it back than rush it.

It's never been a PlayStation franchise, it is on Xbox, PC and GBA.

It's never been a PlayStation franchise, it is on Xbox, PC and GBA.

You know what I meant, Its been primeraly (I can't spell) been popular on the PS1 and 2 and thought of as the killer ap for the PS2 especially. (their always released first on the playstation due to deals etc too)

lol the first time i have ever had a console before the launch of a GTA game and look what happens! Still never mind i probably wouldn't have bought it anyway, if not for the fact that i have no interest in the game, i would have kept clear of it as i can't afford to be involved in another massive game! especially not before crimbo, look at how many games are gonna be out for wii60 in the last few months of the year, oh no it's gonna take me weeks to get super mario galaxy out of my head now!!

...Its Thursday.

It's Thursday.

sorry i just had to do that.

I love Jordan. All of Jordan.

Caris :o thats not something to say in the middle of a GTA IV thread!

It's Thursday.

sorry i just had to do that.

I love men. Lots of men.

grammarpolice.jpg

Caris :o thats not something to say in the middle of a GTA IV thread!

What... thats wrong what you have done there... everyone knows Caris only has eyes for one man..... ROB!

Hmm i wonder how long it will be after 8 for the new trailer to turn up on marketplace?