N-Europe

Freeview.

Caris

Is it only mine that goes funny ALL the time? My Sammy and Sony LCD have been set up in 3 diffrent houses and each house the picture has never been set. Ive just watched shamless and skins and the picture is fine for a few mintues then went off for 30 seconds and just repeats that cycle, they say there gonna turn analoge(sp) TV off in a few year but theres no way people can watch digital like this.

Discuss.

Do you have flourescent lights in your house, and have people been turning them on/off?

My freeview box was expensive(but i got it for free cos my sister bought it :D) and it's a bit of a shitbox, screws up all the time, came with a scart lead that didn't fit, and the one I have no has recently seemed to be falling out kind of. The picture sort of flys constantly up/down/left/right sort of thing, one of them directions, and I have to get up and wiggle the scart plugs a bit to sort it out. It doesn't have any sort of inbuilt volume control either, and the control it has will only work with another JVC tv(thats what make it is), so I have to have both to hand, bit inconvienient.

What make is yours, and how much was it?

We cant use freeview where I live as the signal is not good enough, even Channel 5 doesnt receive well. Luckily that isnt a problem as I have cable, although I dont know why I bother because 99.9% of everything televised these days is shite anyway.

Stupid me, I'm a bit of a retard, you said what it was already.

I'm missing skins?! I'm watching Man Stroke Woman, I can't believe I just missed skins. I find that flourescent lights going on and off seem to screw my box up, I recently found out something which would imply it's because they cause small surges when turned on and off, and some freeviews are a bit sensitve to it, but I doubt that'd be the case with a TV one. I've heard that some parts of the country can't recieve it very well at all, but I dunno where I'm getting this from...

This sounds a bit wrong to me if it's actually how all freeview boxes work, but the customer support person once mentioned if the box's receiver is too strong, it picks up a source further away than it should, and get a weak / intermittent signal. Doesn't sound logical tho...

It doesnt seem to matter where you live in the UK ... you can still get a crap signal on freeview... even if you know for a fact that theres a TV mast in your area.

Take my house.. its impossible to get a signal with an indoor aerial. The signal that we get from the one on the roof is great tho .. sometimes! You only need a leaf to fall outta a tree across the road and it seems to get the jitters even when the box is saying its got a good signal.

Guest Stefkov

One thing to check is the coaxil (?) cable thats connecting from your tv to the plug in the wall if thats what your home is like, most are.

I had problems with my Freeview, built into my Sammy, the pictures stuttered loads the sound scratched, couldnt stand it. Plus I was getting less than half the channels I should get. I dont even think that I'm getting all the channels now.

Anyway, my cable was broke at one end. The small round metal connector thing was broken off. it was probably not connecting properly. So I went and found another one it was too small so I used an extension cable. And now it works a treat. Splendid watching Scrubs on E4 at midnight. Plus CSI on Five US.

Thats my sotry on my freeview.

From what i've heard, Sky are pulling their channels from freeview because they don't make them any money.

Bastards..

Good job I don't use freeview anymore, as that would piss me off. As /nando/ says, sky sports news! Need it.

I have a freeview box at home, and I think my brother has one in his room. Apparantly from it occassionally freezing or other annoying niggles like that, it's pretty sound. I'm a bit annoyed that you can't plug a portable aerial into it and get it to work that way, and that forced me to get NTL, otherwise I'd still be using it now.

..but.. Sky Sports News.. I need it..

So do I!!! ;_;

I too have freeview problems. Tends to be ITV2-ITV4, E4 and some other rubbish channels that mess up. Some times picture drops out, but I put it on BBC1 and let it spaz out and in 10 seconds it settles and I return to what ever channel I want.

Yeah they are pulling it from Virgn also.

But why should Sky let other companies have their channels?

We pay enough for our TV licence so the BBC should sort something out instead of a load crap. They should get us better programming and better channels such as a BBC Sport Channel and a BBC Movie Channel. But instead we get BBCFour and BBC Parliament :/

Well, you know all those UKTV channels? and Living channel? Virgin owns those and they're on Sky. Basically, Sky now wants double the amount of money it asked previously and both companies just aren't budging, either way someones gunna lose something.

That doesn't mean Virgin can't buy the rights to programs that Sky has, only not to air but to have on its on demand service.

Sky has no rights to things like that.