Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

"Wii is streaking ahead of the competition in the battle of the consoles"

Gizmo

I wonder if the Wii will keep up these sales. After all, all Nintendo fans (of which are there are many) need one and probably caused many if not all of these sales. The GameCube sold really well in the first few months as well.

I think Nintendo needs to pull a Nintendogs or Brain Training before it really takes off.

I wonder if the Wii will keep up these sales. After all, all Nintendo fans (of which are there are many) need one and probably caused many if not all of these sales. The GameCube sold really well in the first few months as well.

I think Nintendo needs to pull a Nintendogs or Brain Training before it really takes off.

Yeah, but they're not for the hardcore games (not that they don't play them:heh:)

Remember, 360 & PS3 owners don't have to stay in one camp...Nintendo also need more big guns, Mario, Samus, Master Hand...:wtf:...and after the 'S-Ranks' they're still gonna need some 'A-Rank' 3rd party 'mature' exclusives to win them over:)

WiiChart--screenshot_large.jpg

Above is a lovely big graph, showing the number of games available for each console during the first four months of its launch. The white line is Wii - and you'll see that although it's faring better than N64, GameCube actually boasted more titles during its first two months.

Fortunately, Wii is beginning to pick up now, enjoying a more fruitful third month than either previous consoles. Plus a healthy line-up of 17 titles, including SSX Blur, Mario Party 8 and Tiger Woods, is predicted to burst into the shops in March, should each game hit its release date.

RIP PS3. Sony have truely lost their throne to the Xbox 360 and Wii.

I bet the guys at Sony are breaking a sweat.:)

I doubt it. They're well aware that Wii sales will not stay this high, and that PS3 sales will pick up.

It's far too early to assume the Wii is going to be a succesful machine. It wouldn't be the first flop that had high initial sales.

Jan NPD Canada Sales

Hardware

Wii 34,000

PS2 27,000

360 14,400

PS3 6,800

Software Top 10

1. Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (Xbox 360)

2. WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii)

3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

4. Gears of War (Xbox 360)

5. New Super Mario Bros (DS)

6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN)

7. Guitar Hero 2 bundle (PS2)

8. NHL 07 (PS2)

9. Rainbow Six Vegas (Xbox 360)

10. NHL 07 (Xbox 360)

Gaming sales got off to a strong start in the US this year, according to NPD Group's figures for the first five weeks of 2007, and it was a similar story north of the border. The industry-tracking firm reported that Canadian retail gaming sales amounted to $79.5 million in January, a 55-percent jump over the January period from the year before. But where the US numbers covered five weeks of sales instead of the usual four, NPD's Canadian numbers only reflect sales during the calendar month of January, so year-over-year comparisons are more relevant.

The increase was driven primarily by hardware sales, which more than doubled from $15.2 million to just over $31 million. Nintendo's Wii outpaced all the competition for the month with more than 34,000 units sold. Sony had the second best-selling console of the month, but it wasn't the PlayStation 3. Instead it was the aging PlayStation 2, which posted sales of more than 27,000 units. The PS3 actually finished significantly lower, with fewer than 6,800 units sold. The Xbox 360 nestled itself in between its rivals with sales just over 14,400.

On the software side of things, Capcom's Xbox 360 bughunt Lost Planet: Extreme Condition unified the Canada and US January 2007 sales titles, selling more than 15,400 copies. Lost Planet had a little separation from the pack, with WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Gears of War (Xbox 360), and New Super Mario Bros. (DS) rounding out the top five in that order, each with sales between 12,000 and 13,000. The GameCube edition of Twilight Princess, the PS2 Guitar Hero 2 bundle, NHL 07 (PS2), Rainbow Six Vegas (Xbox 360), and NHL 07 (Xbox 360) filled out the back half of the top 10.

I guess we can say that Nintendo has earned enough cash to make another console. It's also reassuring to see that more games will come.

Nintendo has enough cash to make 10 new consoles and they'll still survive if they sell exactly zero...

It's quite disturbing how Nintendo has an incredible amount of money to invest, but won't do it.

Nintendo has enough cash to make 10 new consoles and they'll still survive if they sell exactly zero...

It's quite disturbing how Nintendo has an incredible amount of money to invest, but won't do it.

Agreed. To be fair, they have to make up some lost ground from the GC era, which they seem to be doing with the Wii, but if they half-ass theyre next major console, count me out.

That's not really what I meant; Nintendo should crank up the budget for some of their major games, create a good online infrastructure, hire orchestras and FMV studios and whatnot to create a better experience for the gamers. Ever since the GameCube era I get the feeling Nintendo needlessly saves money on things like that when it's not necessary as they have at least as much money to spend as Microsoft and Sony.

here's a nice new (i think) graphical representation of the current sales stats:

398860254_0575671dc1.jpg

taken from wiinintendo.net

If those numbers are true, Nintendo is owning the Xbox 360 as well. The Xbox has sold 9.3 million in 15 months, whereas Nintendo has sold more than half of that in 3 months.

How many other consoles had this high amount of sales and saw a big drop?
Atari 2600, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast and the GameCube all had very good sales to start off with, but then saw (massive) decline later in their life. I don't think any of them reached Wii sales though.

here's a nice new (i think) graphical representation of the current sales stats:

398860254_0575671dc1.jpg

taken from wiinintendo.net

Wow... in 3 months the wii has sold ~1/4 of what the gamecube sold in it's lifetime. I can't wait for the next financial report out of nintendo :)

True. Wait for SSX Blur and Sonic & The Secret Rings. I bet they sell well.

Already have two preorders from me. Looknig forward to them alot, too.

What I think will be interesting is how much the PS3 sells when it's released here. Will it have as spectacular a launch as the Wii did?