Calza

Japanese RPG's V's Western RPG's

Japanese RPG's V's Western RPG's  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese RPG's V's Western RPG's

• Japanese
    • Western
    • Can't decide, both are too good!

This is to me is a really hard question. You've got Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, Shenmue etc verus Elder Scrolls, KOTOR, Baldur's Gate, Diablo etc.

I suppose I will have to go with Japanese, I just think that the style of the games is just better presented and the storys are great.

Comment aswell as vote :)

I clicked Japanese. I've enjoyed alot more Japanese RPGs than I have on the American side. It's mainly because I actually prefer the gameplay and the more interested story telling that goes in the JRPGs.

japanese RPGs rape western RPGs

Totally agree with you there. Western RPGs seem to lack emotion and a decent story, JRPGs have both these and alot of them favour the random battle system which I love.

I stated in the 360 just last week how I could never really get into KOTOR despite being a Star Wars fan and Oblivion IMO is one of the most overrated games I have ever played.

I clicked western. Though I like playing JRPGs sometimes, they are nearly always poorly written*, predictable, full of cliches** and dialogue that wouldn't cut even on B-list soap opera. And when you add the fact that whole genre has been using same battlesystem that was introduced 20 years ago without doing any improvements*** to it, JRPGs don't really interest me much.

* If compared to fine literature or more better done movies.

** This list summarizes it pretty well: http://www.project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

*** Of course there has been few little different titles, but still...

i think the reson so many western ones fail is because they try to emulate what the japaneese do except the just cant pull it off.

JRPGs for me. Not that I play any old crap, but when comparing each region's 'best' I tend to find Western RPGs to be more soulless and technical.

Whilst tehnically impressive — if you're a fan of laminated caves and ugly plastacine models — I found Oblivion rather unengaging. I simply didn't care about any of the characters, events, or anything else. And then we have blocky ol' Skies of Arcadia, one of my favourite games ever. In has a great cast of colourful characters, and they can carry a story further than any technical advancement.

I choose western over japanese. Mostly because i´ve played and enjoyed them more then japanese (mostly the old ones).

There are a lot of good japanese RPG´s but there are very few in my opinion as good as: Fallout, Baldur´s Gate, Icewind dale, Planescape Torment, Arcanum.

I wish there were more WRPG´s like them..... All this futuristic stuff is getting tiresome

Not to mention all the newly WRPGS, the main character is always so....."soulless"

Japanese, because of Square-Enix.

Yeah you summed it up. Square-Enix make the best RPGs,and they're japanese, therefore they win.

Just have to say that I can't recommend Rogue Galaxy enough to all you RPG gamers out there. Beautiful game!

Just have to say that I can't recommend Rogue Galaxy enough to all you RPG gamers out there. Beautiful game!

I wish I could be bothered to play it I really do. Did you pick the guide book up Dom? Its freaking huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

Nah I didn't get the walkthrough book. I usually use gamefaqs if I get stuck in a game. How many pages is the book? I remember the Dragon Quest 8 one I got to review for a site was very big too, like 248 pages.

Whoa! Crazy! I know the game is certainly full of stuff todo. I just caught my first bug to use for fighting.

I used to enjoy RPG's, but now I don't. Was disappointed there was no option to say they both suck.

What made you change your mind?

Certain games just killed the genre for me. Namely FF8 and ToS.

A friend of mine is planning on picking up FFXII, so I may get a chance to play that and see what all the fuss is about.

Out of the two though, Japanese RPG's are generally much better.

Oh man! I've just had a fantastic funny scene with MIO in Rogue Galaxy. "O M Gs SCARY!!!!" "KAWAAIIII!!"

Go MIO fanclub baby!

Sign in to follow this