N-Europe

So...anyone know mobile phones?

Gizmo

My current phone is starting to get kinda borked so I'm looking to buy a new one. I don't wanna spend much more than £100 on it since I'm also getting a Vision:M, with £150 upper limit. Probably.

Basically, I want one with the basic stuff like bluetooth, embedded games (for those bus stop times) organisers, alarms...What I don't really need is mp3 stuff and a massive memory, since as I said I'm getting a Zen anyway. What's a good one for this? One that looks sleek, stylish and gets the job done. I also don't want one which will get outdated really quickly.

So far, some that have caught my eye while looking round at the shops are the LG Chocolate and Motorola RIZR Z3, though I didn't actually have a go with them. Also, are they "too much" to what I just need?

Oh, and I'd rather just have it pay as you go, rather than contract, if that makes any difference.

Cheers.

I'de get one with a clamshell-design. It just so bleedin' cool when they close them up after a conversation. like in prison break. Makes you want to be a secret agent, too. Oh you wanted advise? Nokia is your best bet, since a lot of people share my view that they're the simpelest cell-phones avaible. I have a Sony-Ericson and those tiny joysticks don't match their names. They're not a joy to use. They're about as enjoyable as holding your finger against aa freshly-sharpened knife. It hurts when it doesn't respond properly.

I think I need a new one. Cheap please. And with a ckamshell design to be able to close them after one of my o-so-many (read: it's about zero and I'm scared to admit it) conversations.

I was going to suggest a SE phone....Whats wrong with the joystick? It feels fine playing Tennis on my k800i.

Anyway, the main problem with cheap (£50-100) phones: Internal memory. With a small amount of memory, why do you need bluetooth? And all phones seem to have small games on then.

And then the camera....cheap phone = cheap camera. Sure, you'll take pictures, but will you do anything other than look at them twice then delete them when your memory gets full?

Do you really need a new phone? Do you really need bluetooth?

Nokia is your best bet, since a lot of people share my view that they're the simpelest cell-phones avaible.

I strongly agree. Nokia phones have the best developer support and the easiest mobile OS out there (Symbian OS). Only drawback is that their stylish phones cost a pretty penny.

If you want a clamshell design, I'd recommend the following:

nokia-6170-clamshell.jpg

Nokia 6125:

nokia-6125-lg.jpg

Nokia 7270:

7270as.jpg

Nokia 6260:

00094438.jpg

dont get a motorola. They suck.

Sony erriccson or nokia ftw. I have a w810i, and i love it, it has all that you need, plus sony give away free content over wap, i have like 12 games all together, and have never payed for one. It doesnt have a joystick either, so that common problem cant happen xD I can change my phone on contract now, but theyrs nothin else out that takes my fancy over this phone yet.

I was going to suggest a SE phone....Whats wrong with the joystick? It feels fine playing Tennis on my k800i.

Anyway, the main problem with cheap (£50-100) phones: Internal memory. With a small amount of memory, why do you need bluetooth? And all phones seem to have small games on then.

And then the camera....cheap phone = cheap camera. Sure, you'll take pictures, but will you do anything other than look at them twice then delete them when your memory gets full?

Do you really need a new phone? Do you really need bluetooth?

You've only owned it for a little while, I had the k750i and the joystick soon fucked up, it's a problem almost all SE owners experience, cept me now cause my P990i doesn't have one :heh:

It is however easily sorted, a can of compressed air will do the trick.

Oh, yes. I spotted the catch - I was comparing the specs of the 900, but the price of the 600! Oh well. But I'm now very sold on the D900 - but where's the cheapest place to get it Pay and Go? I can only seem to find it on a contract. Perhaps I should go instore?

I strongly agree. Nokia phones have the best developer support and the easiest mobile OS out there (Symbian OS). Only drawback is that their stylish phones cost a pretty penny.

Symbian isnt bad, it got me into the wide world of 'damn I cant do without a phone without an OS'....it would be my second choice for a mobile OS though.

Shop around and the prices arent too bad on them (imo).

Motorola, they trail in the customisation stakes, but have come along in leaps and bounds over the last few years....Solid as a phone though.

Oh, yes. I spotted the catch - I was comparing the specs of the 900, but the price of the 600! Oh well. But I'm now very sold on the D900 - but where's the cheapest place to get it Pay and Go? I can only seem to find it on a contract. Perhaps I should go instore?

you do realise the d900 is gonna rape your wallet if you get it pay as you go.

They have it http://www.dialaphonepp.co.uk/pplink/dap/pp_search.aspx?manufacturer=samsung&price=any&network=any&bt=0&mp=0&cam=0&vid=0&fm=0&text=any for £175, never really heard of the site, but it looks genuine to me.

I have just recently picked up a Motorola v3i and have been very impressed with it so far.

The improvements over the v3 are outstanding and although some of the stuff may be surplus to your requirements a bit of shopping around will get you this phone for around £90 on PAYG.

The only real drawbacks are the software as Motorola are notoriously slow/behind other manufacturers in this regard but as I long time Moto fan I have got used to it and find it quite intuiative. The other drawback (depending on your opinion) could be the design , Motorola have now been flogging this design to death over the last couple of years and I do wonder if it will end up becoming dated earlier than most other phones.