NEurope
Tellyn

Family Guy: Good or Bad?

They had a Back to the Future gag about Doc warning Marty and Jennifer their future daughter married a black man. When they explain they're okay with it, Doc just pulls out this "Did you know peanut butter was invented by a black man?" line that never fails to crack me up.

That was the one that won me over :grin:

I can't stop watching it now. Damn you all for making me like it, I don't have much free time as it is :hmm:

series 1-3 exellent but serious 4 onwards are just woeful imo its just "hey remember the time..." anv various other over the top segments.

Family Guy does what it intends to. It provides a laugh. I think the writing quality is high enough in the humour department that it could provide some decent emotional payoff too, but that just isn't what it's about.

South Park made some great observations about Family Guy, but Matt and Trey genuinely hate the show. The thing is, no matter how much you dislike it... some of the stuff is so offbeat and hilarious you can't help but crack up.

Totally agree. In the South Park episode they even said: "it's just one joke after another but people like that". And it's true. Family guy does jokes with no coherency but they're funny, and they make people laugh. Having said that I've started liking American Dad a lot, although the cast doesn't really compare to Family Guy's cast.

Family guy is far funnier than the simpsons. I don't know what has happened to the simpsons though, it used to be awesome, but the new episodes suck so bad.

I find myself launghing so hard at family guy, whereas in the simpsons it would be a "heh" every now and then.

I agree, sometimes I'll watch a new Simpsons episode, sometimes I'll just go "Ha." Whereas older episodes make me go "Hahahahahahahaha!"

Old episodes of Family Guy made me go "Hahahahahahaha!" whereas when I watch more recent episodes I'll go "Hahahahahahahahahaha!"

I quite like Family Guy, but they often take the absurdity (or whatever you call it) too far, so that's it not really funny any more.

I just prefered it when he kept trying to kill Louise and take over the world!

You mean so it turns into the Simpsons and gets boring very fast??

I loved it in one of the recent episodes....when Peter hurt his knee and he goes "Fffffvvvvvv....aaaahhhhhh"....

Heh, cos he only does it for like a second, and I thought he would do it for 30 seconds in regard to one of the previous seasons gags. Great stuff.

1. Its Lois not Louise.

2. Just watch Pinky & the Brain.

I loved it in one of the recent episodes....when Peter hurt his knee and he goes "Fffffvvvvvv....aaaahhhhhh"....

Heh, cos he only does it for like a second, and I thought he would do it for 30 seconds in regard to one of the previous seasons gags. Great stuff.

Haha...I loved that too; was amazing:D

Haha...I loved that too; was amazing:D

Heh heh. The fact that it just switched to the next scene actually made me laugh for ages, just in itself.

No character beats Glen Quagmire. My Family Guy nerdiness goes as far as owning Quagmire's red and yellow flower shirt.. yup..

No character beats Glen Quagmire. My Family Guy nerdiness goes as far as owning Quagmire's red and yellow flower shirt.. yup..

Nerdiness? Pffft...thats the most awesome thing Ive ever heard of in my life.

They did the knee thing AGAIN?

Well not exactly no...thats whats funny.

I like it in series 5 where Brian becomes a writer and Stewie starts that whole writing a book thing again but instead of sitting there and taking it Brian just twats him with a book.

South Park isn't like that at all....You're obviously REALLY stupid if you can't see the politicalness of South Park, and they're not just American based ones either:indeed:

I dont care if its political or not, alot of the stuff they put in that show is just disgusting and just not needed, probably why I dont like the movie aswell. Also calling me stupid for not liking a tv programme that you do is a little extreme.

I was looking around the net, and have only just found out that season 5, which in UK will be season 6, is airing. Its 9 episodes into the season, with a new episode showing every two weeks on a Sunday. Anyone heard anything on when season 6 will air over here?

The last episode of season 6 is called "Stewie Kills Lois", though it's the first of a two part episode...

"In this scene Mohammad hands a Salmon helmet to Family Guy"

I kind of like the first 3 seasons of Family Guy but with the new episodes they seem to be aiming for a more mainstream audience. Also there is the whole point that none of the jokes derive from the plot and that every joke is interchangable and involves references to old TV shows, movies or recent pop culture phenomena and when you realise that (or get told about it by Trey Parker) then Family Guy certainly loses a LOT of it's potency.

Family Guy is basically a topical (to a certain extent) sketch show masquerading as a sitcom, and it has always been that. Whereas South Park started out as a show where the main joke is kids swearing and vomiting, but evolved into the finest example of televisual satire since Brasseye.

South Park started out as a show where the main joke is kids swearing and vomiting, but evolved into the finest example of televisual satire since Brasseye.

Very true. The first few seasons aren't that great, but eventually they realised that politics is hilarious. Nowadays, South Park is smarter, faster, funnier and far better written than anything Family Guy has ever come up with. At the same Family Guy was making jokes about wild firetrucks, South Park was destroying Scientology, Tom Cruise, R Kelly and Isaac Hayes. And they still find time to have gross out humour. It's Genius.

It's a funny show, no doubt but it's the "Yeah, like remember the time...." every 5 minutes that ruins it for me. South Park IS much better.

It is true that Family Guy is essentially a series of jokes, but then about 99.8% of all American comedy (and drama, and documentaries) is like that. Family Guy gets away with it because they are genuinly funny jokes. Even Simpsons can't manage that anymore.

PS. South Park is sorta political, but purely in the sense that it's writers express an opinion. I don't think it's trying to hard to start some kind of movement or anything.

PPS. Saw the episode where Cartman tries to get Family Guy forced off the air. Again funny, but this time I personally disagree with the sentiment of the show. Just my opinion.

Family Guy is basically a topical (to a certain extent) sketch show masquerading as a sitcom, and it has always been that. Whereas South Park started out as a show where the main joke is kids swearing and vomiting, but evolved into the finest example of televisual satire since Brasseye.

Even if that is true, Brasseye owns South Park in infinitely many ways.

Even if that is true, Brasseye owns South Park in infinitely many ways.

So true all hail Chris Morris!

South park is amazing but its very opinionated on some things which annoys me a bit. Series 5 and 6 were the best in my opinion.

I cant watch Family Guy anymore its just too poor. When a comedy series starts referencing/parodying other comedy shows for 'jokes' they lose all credability in my eyes :nono: . I stopped watching it after that curb refernce and havent seen it since.

Woah, I was just watching Brasseye last night. It's on par with Look Around You in my opinion. So it's farking great.

Woah, I was just watching Brasseye last night. It's on par with Look Around You in my opinion. So it's farking great.

"This goldmine actually used to work, until they clogged it with sick."

Look around you beats it though...

After watching the Cartoon Wars episodes of South Park I have to say I now prefer South Park, because after some thought, it's clever as well as funny (Though the newer episodes are much better than the old ones).

I dont care if its political or not, alot of the stuff they put in that show is just disgusting and just not needed, probably why I dont like the movie aswell. Also calling me stupid for not liking a tv programme that you dois a little extreme.

That's not what I said at all...So I'm afraid you're gonna get a "Retard" label for that one.

Look around you beats it though...

Really? are we watching the same program! I didnt really find the second series of look around you very funny. Though the first series is good like when he gets the gun out to shoot the lab equipment, cracks me up everytime :)