N-Europe

First Tiger Woods Hands-on

flameboy

Got my copy this morning , and have spent a large part of the day on it.

The first couple of hours I absolutlely hated it and found myself wishing for a full blown comprehensive sequel to Wii Golf. The controls seemed crap , graphically very poor (wasn't expecting miracles) and I am sure this is only displaying in 50hz for some reason.

After a lot of practise and some mini-games I ventured onto my 1st tourney. Opening hole , par 4 , managed to lob in from 190 odd yards for an eagle and started getting concerned that once again EA have made this too easy (the reason I haven't bought the last couple).

A false beginning - the erratic controls then kicked in and I ended up shooting a very disturbing/shocking 49 over par. None of the drives going where they should , pitching/chipping is virtually impossible and putting is easy one minute then impossible the next.

I have perserved a lot since then and things are gradually improving (chipping is still f'ing impossible though) and I am kind of relieved that this is not as easy as previous versions but I still have some major concerns over the controls.

Despite the above , I have had a break for a couple of hours but this game has a very strange addictive quality about it (maybe I am just begging for it to improve) and it keeps calling out for one more round.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually rented this game over the weekend reconnected my wii up, the controls were fine for me and graphically it looked about the same for the cube and for their first attempt I would give it an A-.

ONM were either swinging the remote too hard or too gently.

Sorry but its nothining like 55% game, more like 80-85%.

After my initial disappointment as stated above , many more hours on this today means I would have to agree with what ZeldaFreak wrote above.

The controls just seemed to click into place today (although chipping is still a little inconsistent) and this game has now become an absolute blast to play.

My scores are still pretty much on the bad side but there is definately an improvement.

If you are able to persevere this game is definately worth a purchase.

Well as Tiger Woods 2008 comes out in August and will be released on the Wii at the same time as other formats I'll wait until then.

I do enjoy the Tiger Woods games but I think waiting for the next release will hopefully be beneficial for 3 reasons:

1) The controls will be refined - well lets hope so!

2) The graphics will be improved - I'm very impressed with EA and their Wii releases so far but theres some room for improvement there and EA will have more time to develop this title and they are more accustomed to the Wii hardware.

3) Online play - there really is no excuse for not having it 2nd time around and as Wii games go online from July then EA had better have it included this time.

I played an 18 hole course with my brother in law who does play golf as a hobbie and he loved it, we had a lot of fun, there was the occasional control glitch. He was really good at chipping.

I suppose it comes to how good you areat the game, that will decide whether you like it or not.

I should imagine that 2008 will be greatly improved as EA seem to pro wii. Online would be awesome but nintendo need to release a headset for vice chat.

About graphics... Here is what respected Penny-Arcade user Xavi, who actually worked on this game, had to say about graphics and controls:

"Well, I'm gonna play Devils advocate for a second, since I was involved with the game, so even though I'll be objective, feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

I think opinions in general about the graphics jump the shark a tad, if you compare screens and videos, the Wii version looks way better than PS2 and X-Box, I can say that I know this for a fact, but heres an example:

Old greens, PS2

tiger-woods-pga-tour-07-20060913002359028.jpg

New greens, Wii

tiger-woods-pga-tour-07-20070117031655901.jpg

The same upgrades were applied to the fairway, the rough, the tees and the vegetation. If anybody actually took the time to do that research they would have noticed, but hey, such is life. :)

Other graphical upgrades you'll find are the structures in Saint Andrews (the town) were completely re-done, just compare it with how it used to look in PS2 and you'll find a huge difference. The grass effect you see when you're in the rough was also redone, increasing the draw distance and the amount of grass displayed by about 3 times. Its easy to dismiss these upgrades from a consumer point of view, because you're used to see a leap from PS2 to PS3, so anything in between is hard to appreciate, plus not every team has the time, engine or manpower to do as many upgrades as they would like. ;)

As for the swing? Well of course it could be better, I personally was NOT a fan of the swinging mechanic in Wii Sports and specially Super Swing Golf (you mean I have to hold my swing pose until the bar says Ive reached max power? Come on!) So in retrospect I think Tiger achieves the happy medium where, if you swing like you swing in real golf, you'll be closer to success ... if you've never played golf? Well, surprise, you need to practice more (which I think is what a lot of people are complaining about with their first impressions)

As for 1:1, thats certainly the hot new property for Wii games. Its reeeaaally easy to just say "ah yeah, they should just add 1:1 and everything would be awesome" Unfortunately, thats not always the case and its not like that control scheme wasn't considered. Its very different to be from the consumer side of things, because you think you know what you want, and you think you know the proper terminology to express that desire ... but that is seldom the case. You may have the right idea, sure, but if you think adding a 1:1 control scheme is a genius idea that will solve all your problems, thats very naive.

So yeah, no surprise that a person involved with the game was pretty happy with the final product, I mean, no shit right? So think what you will, but I'm a fan of the game, I think its sweet."

SOURCE

Wouldn't it be great if they made a golf game where you actually walk or drive a buggy across the course? Of course this would be optional so it doesn't get boring in the long run, but I think it would be great to be able to walk across the course just enjoying the beautiful scenery in stead of your character popping up next to the ball in 5 seconds.

Wouldn't it be great if they made a golf game where you actually walk or drive a buggy across the course? Of course this would be optional so it doesn't get boring in the long run, but I think it would be great to be able to walk across the course just enjoying the beautiful scenery in stead of your character popping up next to the ball in 5 seconds.
No kidding, they should put the Hyrule field music when I was running through the course it would be really epic.

And then when I had no money, I'd swing the club in grass in order to get rupees.

Then put some orcs and stuff, let me visit this "Saint Andrews" Town-thing and it's done... Awesome.

No kidding, they should put the Hyrule field music when I was running through the course it would be really epic.

And then when I had no money, I'd swing the club in grass in order to get rupees.

Then put some orcs and stuff, let me visit this "Saint Andrews" Town-thing and it's done... Awesome.

OMGF!!1 tH4tz wAz s0o0o0o0 fUN.nAy!!111!!!!!!11 yawn.gif

I have just started my 2nd year on the Tour and as much as I like this I played Wii Golf for the 1st time in ages and I really missed the vibrancy of the courses.

Strangely my ability has gone to pot on Wii Golf since getting this though , even more weird is that for some reason I have now vastly improved on Wii Bowling.

• 3 weeks later...

Predictable, but Tiger Woods 2008 confirmed for Wii!

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7291/1/Tiger_Comes_Roaring_onto_Wii_and_DS

Nintendo News | Tiger Comes Roaring onto Wii and DS

Quick News: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08, the follow up to the slightly less predictable Tiger Woods PGA Tour...07, has been confirmed for Nintendo's primary consoles by EA. With the company's recent assertion on the fact that it is putting even more focus onto the Wii and DS, gamers can confidently assume that this is just the start of a long lasting trend.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother got this today and I've only played through 3 holes with him so far. It's fair to say I'm not really into golf and initially I have just felt..'so what..'

I enjoyed Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 on the GC (which I rocked at) but my brother got 2005 (which I hardly touched) and now 07 which I fear will have the same outcome.. but I'm gonna give it a proper go later and read the manual and such so I have more of an understanding of this particular game..

It's not a game I would have bought but since I didn't have to pay anything for it, there's no harm in it being in the collection I guess.. :heh: