N-Europe

Which launch title did you like best and why?

Slaggis

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I could write a book of reasons but i am pretty sure i can say why with the following statement:

"I know that if the Zelda franchise was never existed i wouldnt know it, but i am pretty damn sure that if it didnt i wouldnt play video games as much as i did now" There is no way to be a Zelda game around and i even think of preffer something else:)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying it's not an amazing game, but in my opinion it's been a tad over-rated and has a fair few flaws, but then again I haven't quite finished it yet so I might change I mind.

As it is, in terms of all computer games, easily 10/10, in terms of Zelda, 9.

Again don't get me wrong, I'm loving it so far but there's a few niggles here and there that have been disappointing. Kakariko Village for one, being dead and pointless (with a population of what, 6?), no Great fairies, no magic metre, no real song element, very short journey time between later dungeons, fairly easy etc etc... small things really but certainly enough to be disappointed given how pretty much universally heralded this game was/is.

Once again, definately one of the finest games ever created, but not perfect and not as groundbreaking as OoT.

The games failed statistically with a poor average ratio so why are you saying its overrated when its ratio is poor to begin with? You suggesting it should be even more of a failure? Maybe with certain individuals yes, but certainly not on a universal scale (reviewers being too leniant that is). The games inability to be truly acknowledged as a true classic has come about as a result of the flaws you mention and the ommission of other game issues for which you haven't mentioned.

The games failed statistically with a poor average ratio so why are you saying its overrated when its ratio is poor to begin with? You suggesting it should be even more of a failure? Maybe with certain individuals yes, but certainly not on a universal scale (reviewers being too leniant that is). The games inability to be truly acknowledged as a true classic has come about as a result of the flaws you mention and the ommission of other game issues for which you haven't mentioned.

The fact that sales of TP have been disappointing (have they?) has nothing to do with the fact that it's over-rated at all. Just one look at this topic will show you how universally loved the game is, and with good reason. What I'm saying is yes, it's on an individual level that the game is over-rated a bit.

The fact that sales of TP have been disappointing (have they?) has nothing to do with the fact that it's over-rated at all. Just one look at this topic will show you how universally loved the game is, and with good reason. What I'm saying is yes, it's on an individual level that the game is over-rated a bit.

:confused: I was referring to the review scores as per this link, not sales:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928519.asp

^-- Thats what I meant when I said the games failed statistically, in accordance with "Nintendos Promise" that ultimately wasn't fulfilled.

ON A SIDE NOTE: Should be back before the end of this year, my defining moment on this forum is soon approaching...

[The Gamerankings score is] what I meant when I said the game failed statistically, in accordance with "Nintendos Promise" that ultimately wasn't fulfilled.

Because a 95% average means the game is awful. Please.

---

Regarding everyone saying Twilight Princess overrated is the fault of hype. Everyone got hyped up way beyond any feasible expectations and when the hype machine gets rolling it's hard for even the best of end products to satifsy an almost cancerous growth of expectation.

It doesn't help it was directly competing against Ocarina of Time, arguably the finest action adventure game ever made. Nothing will ever beat Ocarina - especially when the final boss is always a pair of rose-tinted glasses. Everyone is right in saying Twilight Princess is better than Ocarina of Time - it is, in all aspects, but people went into it expecting much more than was actually there as a direct result of the mega hype.

You're never going to get a better Zelda game premise-wise than Ocarina of Time - it is simply the best way Nintendo have told the Zelda story and I've accepted that. It's just like how FF7 is still the best Final Fantasy game. All the others are excellent too, but people will always refer to FF7 as the greatest just like they do with Zelda and Ocarina.

It's a curse really. Games so great that no matter what they will never be topped, even decades later by their very creators.

---

And yeah, my favourite launch title was Zelda - despite it not actually being a Wii game, per say. Red Steel is utter garbage, Monkey Ball is needlessly difficult to control and although Wii Sports is great fun it's not in the same league as Zelda is.

Stop talking shit all your life.

Stop talking shit all your life.

Yeah, it's getting annoying now isn't it. How can he sit there and say the game fails statistically when it's sitting there with a 95.4% average? I sincerely hope he didn't sit there playing the game and letting this "failed" average constantly hamper his enjoyment of the title.

Well actually, I kind of hope it did.

:confused: I was referring to the review scores as per this link, not sales:

^-- Thats what I meant when I said the games failed statistically, in accordance with "Nintendos Promise" that ultimately wasn't fulfilled.

ON A SIDE NOTE: Should be back before the end of this year, my defining moment on this forum is soon approaching...

The range of reviews scores these days just means that games in general appeal to much more people, people who like different types of games more than others. Reviews are much more opinionated than they used to be.

SC2 is better than SC1, PD is better than GE, MP2 is as great as MP1. They aren't on the list solely because they weren't the first. Quite a few game sequels are "better", but get lower review scores for the sole reason that they aren't as unique as the first one was.

How can something "fail" at statistics which are biased towards the first one?

Wii sports is my favourite game so far. I've only had an hour on Zelda so far, because I was doing multi-player wiisports first. Zelda's good, but the use of the controller on wiisports is so fun, and I want to take advantage of the innovation before I settle back into "normal" games.

You're misinterpreting what they promised though; Nintendo never said it would rank higher than Ocarina Of Time on Game Rankings.

When Nintendo claimed it would be the best Legend Of Zelda game ever they would have done so based on their own standards, not anyone or anything elses. And in the eyes of many, that promise will have been fulfilled regardless of statistics drawn from reviews found on a website.

I sure am glad I don't base my preferences on statistics, because my all-time favourite game has an overall ranking of 814 on Game Rankings. :laughing:

Anyway, The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess is my favourite Wii launch game. It's been a magical, engrossing experience so far. And is the best Zelda game I've played. :)

ha ha Twilight Princess and Rayman are my favorites.. i simply love those mini games where you have to shoot the bunnies with the plungers..

And I only have tried those two games.. I have yet to try Wii Sports.. it has not even been in my Wii yet

Im considering Call of Duty, but I dont really know

Wii Sports is a great intro package whilst COD3 is quite impressive but Zelda is the first "killer app".

I've always bought the Zelda games but they've never really gripped me but Twilight Princess has really drawn me in and I think a lot of that is down to the interactivity with the wii-mote and nunchuk.

Right as much as I love Zelda so far, and how well implemented the control is it still doesn't get my vote. I can't imagine going back to playing a Zelda game any other way gonna go back and play OOT and WW after TP but still can't imagine how odd it is gonna feel go back to a common controller.

But despite all of this my vote goes to Wii Sports

It could simply be cast aside as a simple tech demo that shows how the the motion sensors, but it is so much more than this, it has so many hidden depths and you literally as a player want to just keep dipping into it and improving your rating (I'm so close to being Pro in tennis and bowling). The graphics are gorgeous IMO, the mii's are simplistic but fit the whole game ethic, but the enviroments are really nice, then tennis courts look nice, the bowling alleys look so shiny and wooden! one rubbish bit of graphics tho baseball, wots with the dots for the crowd?!!!

My best games.

hmm, its a tough choice they all use the remote so well! Wii FTW.

1: Monster 4x4

2: Cars

3: Wii Play

You actually bought those games to begin with? lol :)

Not my cup of tea at least...

Anyway, I played zelda for a few hours today (took the day off school, we were only going to the cinema as an end of term trip anyway) and it has got to be my favourite zelda ever. I just got up to the bit where he gets the green clothes... looks so cool. I'm loving the graphics and the intuition of it. On past zeldas I've been stuck for mabye an hour on a single puzzle because there's so many possible answers... on this one it guides you, but doesn't exactly tell you what to do, so you're looking in the right place to begin with. Of course, this will probably all change shortly... but I'm loving it so far.

You actually bought those games to begin with? lol :)

Not my cup of tea at least...

Anyway, I played zelda for a few hours today (took the day off school, we were only going to the cinema as an end of term trip anyway) and it has got to be my favourite zelda ever. I just got up to the bit where he gets the green clothes... looks so cool. I'm loving the graphics and the intuition of it. On past zeldas I've been stuck for mabye an hour on a single puzzle because there's so many possible answers... on this one it guides you, but doesn't exactly tell you what to do, so you're looking in the right place to begin with. Of course, this will probably all change shortly... but I'm loving it so far.

It was a joke, the games i ahve are Monkey ball, wii sports and play and Zelda.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!