N-Europe

The Reviews Thread

flameboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think i'll probs pick up Zelda and maybe SMB:BB as well as an extra Wii mote and Nunchuck so i can spread the Wii loving!

doesn't look like TP can topple OOT at this rate but then not all the magazines and stuff are out yet.

we need a few more 10s STAT!

Another individual criticising Twilight Princess:

I Beat Zelda: Twilight Princess - Thoughts From the Other Side

While everyone was busy camping out for a Wii this weekend, I was staying up and finishing Twilight Princess. Now that I've finished it, the least I can do is tell you what I thought, whether it's worth your time, and how it stacks up to previous Zelda games. No spoilers included.

First, the length. I won't say exactly how many dungeons it has, but it's on par with just about all Zelda games (including old ones). When I finished, my save game clocked in at just about 50 hours, which is a bit short of the 70 hours Nintendo claimed to Mark Wilson. Granted, you can spend a lot of time searching for all the heart pieces, and thus rack up 70~100 hours of play. After finishing, I could say I still wished for more dungeons to explore and more things to do, but that's the case of every Zelda game.

Next, the controls.

Mark had minor issues with controlling Link, and I agree for the most part. The Wiimote did feel added on late in the development cycle, so it wasn't as natural as it could have been. Trying to do some of the secret moves resulted in me waving either the Nunchuk or the Wiimote frantically as Link was finishing his previous action. The control scheme definitely won't get in the way, but it's not a joy to play either.

Example: the hidden Shield Attack works by using the Nunchuk, but half the time I was trying to do that I ended up doing a spin attack instead. You'll notice various other quirks, but I don't want to spoil anything.

The difficulty level of Twilight Princess is much lower than in previous Zelda games. Maybe they wanted to ease new players into the Wii control scheme, or maybe games really have gotten less twitchy and more puzzle-oriented. Even if you're no good at fighting, you'll still manage to get through the game just fine without dying too many times. If you're decent at the controls, you'll breeze through.

Graphics weren't Xbox 360/PS3 level by any means, but still looked great enough to impress me many times. The sound, however, was a mixed bag. On the one hand I really loved hearing all the old Zelda themes pop up all over the place, but on the other hand they really should have dumped the synth music and went to an orchestral score. It didn't take anything away from the gameplay, but that's the thing that would have made it awesome.

Things I disliked: fishing and the Wiimote sounds. They tailored fishing to the Wiimote, but honestly, it was hooooooorrible. There are a few places where fishing is mandatory to advance the plot, and I wasted too much time figuring out what to do—the manual was zero help—that I wish they would have just taken out the fishing entirely, or made it optional. Again, just my own opinion.

The sounds from the Wiimote were fine at first, but they really put too much audio through that tinny, tiny speaker. Toning this down just a tad would have gone a long way.

Of course, all this is my own take on the game and you'll come up with yours as you play through Wind Waker for the Gameboy DS Twilight Princess (I'm Wii-todded). I'd give the entire experience an A-, despite any control problems and the issues faced. It's definitely a Zelda game, and if you like previous games in the series you'll dig this one. Jason Chen

Update: What I meant by the Wiimote was that it was too much audio, not too loud. I turned it down to 2 bars (perfect in a relatively quiet living room), but the quality of the speaker wasn't great. It's neat that you get the "puzzle solved" sound coming from the Wiimote—along with sword slashes, Midna giggling, and tons of other sounds—but I'd rather it come from the screen because the Wiimote speaker quality is poor and they used it too often.

The only thing thats majorly bothering me about previews, I actually think i'll like the control scheme, and the sounds and even appreciate the graphics, but I don't like what i'm hearing about this game being too easy but i've heard it is more difficult than Wind Waker and hopefully that is a reality.

Wind Waker was perfect difficulty for me. Only Zelda game I ever finished (I got to the end of the Shadow Temple in OoT and for some reason never bothered with the final boss of Minish Cap). As I said, I suck at Zelda. I agree with you on the other stuff, though. I think the controls, music/sound and graphics will be great. I don't want perfect graphics.

I don't have a high definition television in my room, nor have I played consoles other than Nintendo systems very often, i've only played PS2 3 times in my entire life, the controller is just too damn weird, so i'm impressed pretty easily graphics wise, but very tight on gameplay and especially particular about review scores.

I've played a lot of PS/PS2 and some DC. However, Xbox controllers are just too damned huge. 360's are better, though.

Anyway, my TV is only a regular old TV. Pretty big, but still pretty old. I don't have component cable input, hell, I don't even have composite cable input (but I do use composite cables through scarts).

I'll be getting a HDTV at some point though, but not for some time. All my money is allocated to the Wii at the moment.

Any news on who'll be doing the N-Europe review of Zelda:TP?

Anything that reduces the gamerankings score won't go down well here I feel though.

It'll probably be the big man, Conor himself. Lucky so and so.

Anyway, i think he'll give it a fair review. We're not gonna give it a perfect score for the sake of not getting bashed in the forums.

and they gave donkey kong 4.9?!!!! are they mental it was only 2 years ago I was hooked to this playing it on animal crossing!!!

EDIT: for both altered beast and donkey kong they critizise the game for not being as good as the arcade original, don't they realise virtual console is just bringing back old games we used to play on the consoles,I'm sure if they wanted to this would have an arcade games option on it. for the record aswell altered beast rocked on the megadrive...