NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
-JC-

Help Me Make Money Fast!

Now, before you automatically think "Hey, this guy's only made 3 posts and he's already spamming", let me explain. This is not a "sign up to some pyramid scheme" thing. Hell, I don't even have any suggestions myself.

Let me tell my story. I'm in my 3rd year of Uni. Well, repeating my second year, but that's another story. For some reason, the Student Loan Company lose my application and fail to pay me the money I need on time. "Fair enough", I think, "I've saved enough over the holidays to keep me going until they sort it out". 1 drink-filled Fresher's Week, 8 or 9 regular term time weeks, one £1200 rent cheque, one £600 tuition fee payment, amongst food and utility bills later, and that bank account is starting to look a little empty. "It's alright, I've got nothing expensive coming soon, I can wait another few weeks for that loan", I think to myself confidently, "£400 is easily enough to last me".

Of course, one thing I hadn't bargained on was my car's MOT. I got the car quite recently and I knew the previous owner who took very good care of it. I assumed it would pass no problem, and I'd fork out £30 for the MOT and be done. After dropping the car off this morning, I took a walk around town (worth it, I guess, I could have sworn that Future Publishing building was recieving a delivery of several boxes of Wii gaming goodness). One phone call an hour later however, and I think my bank account screamed something along the lines of "My balls, my balls! They kicked me in the balls!". 4 new tyres, welding on both sides to repair corrosion near the suspension, brake light re-wiring and a couple of hours labour. Total cost... yep, you guessed it, £400.

Now I can afford the repairs, but that will leave me with nothing until I next get paid (4 weeks, that's my Wii fund and nothin's touching that!), or my student loan comes through (which is some time... er... "soon"). OR I can find another way to make money. That's where you guys, and the thread title comes in.

What do you guys think will be a short term make-money scheme, no matter how ridiculous, that can get me out of a spot of bother. A few ground rules however:

- No asking parents for a bail out (played that card once too many times)

- No ripping off / conning people.

- No becoming a rent boy

I've been playing poker a lot, but it's only low stakes so it's pretty slow progress. I'd not be against the idea of life modelling, but it's not often you see signs out in the street advertising!

Sorry if the post breaks any rules, I read through but I didn't really see anything against it. Only related rule I saw was:

"Aggressive advertising is not allowed. Only advertising allowed is a one line advert in your signature in regular size and face font."

Since I'm not really advertising anything, I hope I'm alright. Your judgment I guess! Thought this thread could be useful for all the other hard-up students that populate the forum!

- No asking parents for a bail out (played that card once too many times)

Well thats put my idea out the window.... you could just sell all you random junk, someone usually wants it for some reason or another.

Welcome to the boards JC, I see nothing wrong with your thread. I always turn to ebay for extra money, whether it's selling my own stuff or looking for bits in shops that I think will sell for more. Maybe you could have a go at that if you aren't already on there, just make sure you don't start bidding on everything as well or you'll be in even more trouble :heh:

Get a job you fucking student :)

Ok since you said fast I'll let you off, I have no ideas, Sorry.

But seriously get a part time job.

What's in it for me, maybe sweeten the deal and I will impart my money making wisdom.

Only joking. It sucks that student loans have screwed up so badly. I know a couple of people here in the same situation because of their loans going wandering. Do you need the car for a while, because you could put off getting the repair work done for a week or so until you get paid or the loan appears. Also if you don't have a student bank account you could get one, an interest free overdraft could solve your problems temporarily.

but that will leave me with nothing until I next get paid

lol, thanks for the suggestions so far. I think I'm a bit limited with ebay, I've tried to bring as little as possible with me to uni. I'm also far too sentimental about some things! As for being a rent boy... uhhh... no thanks.

Only joking. It sucks that student loans have screwed up so badly. I know a couple of people here in the same situation because of their loans going wandering. Do you need the car for a while, because you could put off getting the repair work done for a week or so until you get paid or the loan appears. Also if you don't have a student bank account you could get one, an interest free overdraft could solve your problems temporarily.

I'm currently at balance of £-1100. My account has a max £1500 overdraft (interest free, student account, been around this game for three years now!). I'd like to say I could rely on my credit card, but I'm still paying off my last car's MOT (I sold it straight afterwards, ended up spending more on MOT than got from car sale! And before you ask, I didn't buy the new car, I inherited it. Having two cars made no sense so I got rid of the worse one!)

Help me help you Help me help you Help me help you Help me help you Help me help you

Help me help you Help me help you Help me help you Help me help you Help me help you

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Seriously considering that "friend for a day" thing. Sure there's some pretty lonely people that need some attention. Weird, but lonely.

speak to your student unuion, as there is always a load of crappy little jobs that will pay a little.

when I was strapped for cash at uni I also signed up on loads of different internet student job sites, and I got alot temp job offers, my sister does the same. One company I did soem work for is called 'Making Waves' - give them a look on the net and see if there is anythign down in Bath you can do. There will be HEAPS of marketing temp jobs going.

Or find out if any large company has a call centre locally, as they will often have a few hours going in the evenings.

wow you must have saved a shit load of money up!!!

(lucky fecker lol)

If Student Loans have fucked up, speak to your university. They should be able to offer some sort of financial support while you're waiting for it to be sorted out.

Sign in to follow this