Tellyn

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rare Says Goldeneye Download Never Coming

Seriously, stop getting your hopes up.

by Jim Reilly

US, September 21, 2009 - Any hope fans had of reliving gaming's glory days with a re-release of Rare's classic Goldeneye 007 title need to be put to rest.

On the company's reader mail 'Scribe' section, it was asked if an agreement could ever be reached to bring the title to Xbox Live Arcade of Wii's Virtual Console. Rare, very eloquently, gave the bad news.

"That was some time ago, my friend," it said. "Fate was against us that day. Destiny conspired to raise the hurdles even as we attempted to clear them, resulting in unpleasant groinal injury. I suspect we're long past the stage where an agreement was on the cards, but you never know. Stranger things have happened... somewhere... probably."

Rare has moved on, you should, too.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/102/1026810p1.html

And that's that I guess.

but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

Confirmed: Goldeneye 2010 Q1 release

Seriously, that is sad news indeed. For a game that sold ~8 million, you'd think someone would be willing to make a huge effort to overcome those groinal injuries.

Final Fantasy has been rated by the ESRB.

FINAL FANTASY

Platform: Wii

Rating: Everyone

Content descriptors: Mild Fantasy Violence

Rating summary: This is a role-playing game (RPG) in which players embark on a journey to find four magical crystals that can restore peace to the world. Players move small character icons across a 2D map to explore the world and enter into battles. Players select attacks/spells from a menu screen to use against an assortment of pirates, zombies, and monsters, causing them to blink and disappear when defeated.

Hopefully we'll get Dragon Quest/Warrior at some point.

FINAL FANTASY II

Platform: Wii

Rating: Everyone

Content descriptors: Mild Fantasy Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes

Rating summary: This is a 2D role-playing game (RPG) in which players embark on an adventure involving magic crystals and a quest to save the world from destruction. Players move small character icons across a field map and enter turn-based battles with an assortment of imps, dragons, and robots. Weapons and special attacks (e.g., "magic," "jump," and "kick"), accessed via a menu-screen, cause enemies to blink and disappear when defeated. One female enemy is depicted wearing a bikini top that exposes a moderate amount of cleavage.

:o Whoa, those ESRB boy's really don't hold back when telling it how it is!

Who needs PR departments, when you can leave all the work to the ESRB :rolleyes:

Isnt there a new bomberman blast coming out or something?

Tentatively called Bomberman Blast: Battlefest, comes some time next year (link)

Edited by T-3

• 2 weeks later...
:o Whoa, those ESRB boy's really don't hold back when telling it how it is!

LOL, I remember the description of "buttocks" in Punch Out!! It's a good thing though. In my opinion, films should be rated that harshly and descriptively.

Tomorrow's updates:

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap [Master System]

Final Fight 2 [sNES]

Oh, that's great. The Dragon's Trap is a superb game (as I remember it) - I'm surprised it wasn't already on the Virtual Console actually. I think I'll also download Final Fight 2, as I always fancied playing it, even if I know it's not meant to be that good!

As a new Wii owner, I don't actually know how to go online or get those points you buy the games with (I'll investigate it).

This morning's press release from Nintendo focused on the release of A Little Bit of... Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: Arts Edition for DSiWare. No WiiWare or Virtual Console titles were mentioned.

As well as those we apparently got:

VC:

-Shinobi (VCA, 800 points, Sega)

WiiWare:

-Protothea (1000 points, Ubisoft)

-PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit (800 points, Nintendo)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really know where to put this, but I've downloaded my first Virtual Console games and I'm loving it! I've got:

Super Metroid

Super Mario RPG

Super Mario 64

Then I tried to download Lylat Wars but it cut out. Must have used my Wi-Fi limit. I also want:

Golden Axe (Arcade, not Megadrive)

Landstalker

Wonderboy III: the Dragon's Trap

Super Mario World

Then I might try a few SNES games I missed at the time, like Contra III. I must say, I'm absolutely chuffed with the PAL conversions of Super Metroid and Super Mario 64. I never owned the former, but I did own the latter and I remember the black bars. Now, they're so small it's as good as perfect.

Moonwalker ( MD version ) on its way?

I never thought this game would see a re-release. I can't imagine the work that went into getting the rights to publish this game again. Sure to be one of the big hits on the VC, and deservedly so! Let's hope this PEGI rating isn't in error!

Source: GoNintendo