Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean. Although one day I want to collect the originals of my favourites.

I'd buy the originals if they were officially available to me without the need of performing some terrible voodoo on my DVD player. I have the original Evangelion releases on VHS and DVD in several forms, but bootlegs are just so much more tempting with their knocked down prices and low space consumption.

You see a series you like? Buy the proper versions. Want to try something out before wasting nearly £100 on a few episodes of animation? Hoist the jolly roger and set sail for bootleg bay.

well most series now it seems that after all volumes have been released individually a boxset will come out after a few more months. Its actually a kick in the face of those who bought the volumes as the boxset will always cost less than the combination of all individual volume.

But i guess its down to if you can wait long enough for the boxset and not get volumes, or if you want to see the episodes as soon as you can.

Personally i'd prefer to wait for the boxsets, although i only have one (anime) boxset at the moment (mainly due to lack of funding).

*storkes Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Boxset*

I'd buy the originals if they were officially available to me without the need of performing some terrible voodoo on my DVD player. I have the original Evangelion releases on VHS and DVD in several forms, but bootlegs are just so much more tempting with their knocked down prices and low space consumption.

You see a series you like? Buy the proper versions. Want to try something out before wasting nearly £100 on a few episodes of animation? Hoist the jolly roger and set sail for bootleg bay.

OR...you can just download them :3

i have said to much, newter me.

Guest Stefkov

wow i didnt know they werent real, are they not? anyway im just glad ive got it, i tested out the first disk and it was fine, tested a couple more and they were fine so im not othered if its not real, it works and looks nice with ninja scroll and akira.

that looks sweet, thats the whole 1st season yeah?

how many eps on each disc and there is subs on those yeah?

yeah its the first 51 episodes and theres 7or 8 on each disk at 25 minutes each. im glad anyway ive got them

i went over to malaysia on holidays and bought about 80 anime dvds all bootleg for a price that would have taken me years to save up for. i got no problems buying them and no guilty verdict on other people that do.

i also have 50 original anime dvds so i do not just buy bootleg.

Just bought Howls Moing Castle; Had no intention of ever picking this up, but I saw the HMV exclusive slip cover and I caved.

The fakes are better value for around the same quality. I have no loyalties to Japan's anime industry, so it doesn't kill my soul to own bootlegs. Bootleg away my little friend. Bootleg away.

Complete BS; the quality is dmatically worse in bootlegs, there are no dubs, and you are also harming the industry. American Linencee's now part fund the shows you love; if that stops, anime production will slow, and quality will drop due to lack of mass funding.

EDIT

How To Spot a Bootleg

1. Advertised as Region 0: Little to no anime dvd's are released this way.

2. Japanese/Mandarin Dub with English/Chinese subtitles: Again, Little or no anime DVD's are released in this manner.

3. 26 episodes on 3 discs: Never happens. visually quality is weaker in bootlegs because of this.

4. Digipak packaging with Disc Art designs: A boxset that has the same artwork on the discs as it does with the pic behind the disc holder is more than likely a boot.

5. Subtitle Inaccuracies: Most bootlegs are created in the East. This means English is not there first language, and it creates a lot of glaringly obvious grammar/spelling errors, and sometimes the show does not make sense, and you lose the true idea behind the show.

6. Price: Think logically. £15 for a series is not gonna be legit.

7. R2 versions mostly appear on dvd's with 2 episodes per disc. If someone is trying to sell you a 3 disc 'R2' with 13 episodes, they are more than likely ripping you off; it should be 6 discs.

If in doubt check over at http://www.animeondvd.com or http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.

Complete BS; the quality is dramatically worse in bootlegs, there are no dubs, and you are also harming the industry. American Linencee's now part fund the shows you love; if that stops, anime production will slow, and quality will drop due to lack of mass funding.

I have plenty of excellent region 1 bootlegs that have excellent quality and English dubs. Sorry, but you aren't going to guilt me into your way of thinking.

Once anime companies pull their fingers out and start releasing shows I want in a timely fashion in our country I might just consider a revision. But until then the price of a single four episode DVD here getting me an entire season months before it hits in the UK gives me a great joy.

Anyway, I'm sure all of us here download LICENSED anime sometimes and that's really the same thing isn't it? These things haven't killed the anime industry stone dead yet, and I doubt it'll happen in the future.

I have plenty of excellent region 1 bootlegs that have excellent quality and English dubs. Sorry, but you aren't going to guilt me into your way of thinking.

I'm not trying to guilt anyone.

Once anime companies pull their fingers out and start releasing shows I want in a timely fashion in our country I might just consider a revision. But until then the price of a single four episode DVD here getting me an entire season months before it hits here gives me a great joy.

Anime is not a right, it is a privelige. You have no right to demand show x or show y. You should be happy that we get the shows in the first place. ANime titles are more expensive due to the fact the companies who release them need to make their money back, and due to the market not being enormous, inflated prices are to be expected. If everyone bought legit titles all the time, instead of fansubs/bootlegs, then the fanbase buying would be large enough to allow cheaper prices.

Anyway, I'm sure all of us here download LICENSED anime sometimes and that's really the same thing isn't it? These things haven't killed the anime industry stone dead yet, and I doubt it'll happen in the future.

I'm afraid that is not an excuse. I do not download licensed anime. Unlicensed, yes, but as soon as it is licensed, then I give my cash to whoever releases them. Infact, I have just stopped downloading Bleach due to the fact it is now licensed. I now download 0 fansubs.

That is the basis of fansubs. You will see that most fansubbers implore you to buy the legit products once it is licensed. However, the amount that dl and enjoy compared to teh amount that download, enjoy then buy legit is very small.

Guest Jordan

Guy has a point, i never actually buy anime DVD's because they are incredibly over priced. For someone without a monster internet connection boot legs are the cheap alternatives and are usually pretty good.

You think we get it expensive. The average anime DVD in Japan with 60 minutes of content retails at around £25.

Price is no excuse tbh. However, you guys can do what you want. I won't try and stop you. Tbh, I couldn't even if I tried.

I pay for the privilege of watching them. If you aren't willing to pay, you shouldn't get to watch them, much like everything else in life.

what do you want; a medal?

Oh, and as a member or r-e staff, I Don't really think you should be condoning the illegal downloading of anime. There is no difference between illegally dl'ing anime and buy copies/downloading copies of games. And I'm sure if i was extremely open about buying these, where I get them from....I'd be in trouble.

Guest Jordan
I know; I expected there to be some good titles, like Bleach, Twin Spica, Hellsing OVA...in there.

Bleach is crappy.

Twin Spica, never heard of it.

Hellsing is in my other folder "Movie/OVA" ;)

The point is, so what if i'm RE staff? Does that automatically mean that i'm not allowed to download anything and show it? The point is, i'm not showing you how to get it... only what i got.

Oh and i thought it be funny, since you were being so stressy over the damn thing.

Anime is not a right, it is a privelige. You have no right to demand show x or show y. You should be happy that we get the shows in the first place. ANime titles are more expensive due to the fact the companies who release them need to make their money back, and due to the market not being enormous, inflated prices are to be expected. If everyone bought legit titles all the time, instead of fansubs/bootlegs, then the fanbase buying would be large enough to allow cheaper prices.

Ermmmm fansubs are recordings of the shows original TV broadcast with added work from some kind hearted people..... In Japan people are watching this content for free........... By downloading it I'm just pretending I recorded it and I'm watching it later.... Fair enough really if you ask me.........

Oh and like I said in my Hard Drive thread....... They get money from me in other ways. v.v;;

Oh and Bleach got licenced? ; ; Lunar have no stoped subbing it...... Nooooooooooo! Where can I get Bleach now? ; ;

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!