NEurope
Hellfire

Wii Region Free?

http://gonintendo.com/?p=5757

Bad Bad news now Nintendo as a whole are stating the Wii will be region encoded. Hopefully the VC won't and other online stuff

I dunno, it's still not clear after all, yes, no, yes, no... I want a definite response, these reps might be badly informed and we don't even have their names, still Gamespot gave it away as a "No Bogus" and kaplan gave it as "Region Free", while some english guy said it wasn't and some unknown rep said it wast too?

I'm still going for the region free, might be wishful thinking though.

I dunno, it's still not clear after all, yes, no, yes, no... I want a definite response, these reps might be badly informed and we don't even have their names, still Gamespot gave it away as a "No Bogus" and kaplan gave it as "Region Free", while some english guy said it wasn't and some unknown rep said it wast too?

I'm still going for the region free, might be wishful thinking though.

Its not her words its Nintendos words, I think Perin may of been talking about online stuff, and Yaranton was talking about retail.

perrin said the wii was region free. Yaranton said the games were region encoded. They were talking about different things!

You can take your wii to another country, but that doesnt mean that you can play the local games!

read between the lines people!

I really need to know, this is getting annoying now, if only someone from Nintendo visited this place :p

Yeah, how can the online parts be region-coded? Your meant to play with people around the world?

So if i had a USA Wii in my home, went online? Would it go to the United States server? or would it be the UK one?

I'm confused. The actual European server wouldnt be online would it? because it will be before December 8th.

So how does it know what console it is, when it's online?

Yeah, how can the online parts be region-coded? Your meant to play with people around the world?

So if i had a USA Wii in my home, went online? Would it go to the United States server? or would it be the UK one?

I'm confused. The actual European server wouldnt be online would it? because it will be before December 8th.

So how does it know what console it is, when it's online?

It can be done like Xbox Live for downloads like some of the demos don't come out in Japan that we get and vice versa, however I am still dubious I think it would work out cheaper for the software to have it region free and have the main console region free as well to save money in production costs and enable the games to be cheaper.

People who are not gamers think 'What the hell £40(£50 in the case of next gen) a game'. Most people would be willing I bet £29.99 for a game for the Wii.

I feel Simply if everything on the Wii was region free that surely would lower production costs(region encorders on DVD players can range from £5-10) ( and stop companies like Datel making freeloader like device) lower software costs -> which would make mass market price and therefore mass popularity.

Ah well, never mind. The guys at Datel will be happy. :P

There'll always be some way to work around the region lock, hopefully without the need for a soldering iron or screwdriver.

Hmmmmm, I wonder why Kaplan said it wasn't going to region locked in the first place..

Well she is a girl and all those numbers and technical papers can be irritating ... ;)

:horse: Millions of dollars of potential revenue down the drain due another stupid decision made by Nintendo and they've been plenty in this past month.

PS3 gaining momentum with everyday that goes by. :nono:

:horse: Millions of dollars of potential revenue down the drain due another stupid decision made by Nintendo and they've been plenty in this past month.

A little extreme don't you think?

Quite the opposite, now importers can't buy the US console they'll have to buy the UK version on which Nintendo makes much more profit. How's that for millions of dollars of revenue?

Thatst the problem wih inporting, because loads of peopel buy x game from America, due to the date, this results in less sales for Europe, sure not a lot, but think of how many peopel import and they are still not seeling as much in Europe, then i think thats one of the reasons why half th games dont come out over here, if a game of the same genre was released over in american not released here for a couple of months everyone inmports, it finally comes over here, and doesnt seel too well. Then they think oh europe diesnt like that game too much, i think we'd better not send another game out there.

I've always thought it workd like that. no reason however.

So it is fianl that the wii will not be region free?

Yes absolutely. The only doubt is whether 3rd parites have the option for region free games like x360.

Quite the opposite, now importers can't buy the US console they'll have to buy the UK version on which Nintendo makes much more profit. How's that for millions of dollars of revenue?

No, I was referring to the fact that this omission, even though relatively minor compare to the recent announcements [Rip off pricing to some consumers] this could possibly be the icing on the cake for a lot of potential Wii buyers to not buy the system and thats why I said millions of dollars of revenue COULD be lost.

Perhaps people will just accept all of the sytems shortcomings and invest into a new gameplay experience as a second console of choice. I do admit, Nintendo systems are more durable than any other, chances are, a Wii will last you a life time, Xbox 360 has been proven to be unreliable and PS3 is bound to follow suit.

If you are such an enthusiast that you're willing to take the risks of importing, surely you'll buy the local version if importing is blocked? Come on solitanze, Nintendo isn't going to lose sales through this.