Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

remember me, well i need some advice on computer buying and technology

DarioG

Hey, people may or may not remember me from a year or two ago, i used to be called <Link> or sumat like that and i did have 1k+ posts but stopped using the site cos i had big changes in my life.

I was surfin the site and then i thought why not pop by and say hey and maybe get some advice from all you people cos you always were good at giving it.

i'm thinking of buying a new computer, i have been on dell.co.uk and seen one that suits me perfectly, its in my price range and has the specs i need. i am willing to spend £600 and that can be either the case and monitor or just eh case. I was wondering if people could tell me what dell are like, are they good or bad, are the comps reliable or cheap. Also if there are any sites that sell good PC's please give them.

Also the processer is a P4 630 3ghz with 800mhz fsb and 2GB cache. this is a 32 bit processor isnt it, would it be worth buying a 64 bit one or not. the speed of this PC is more than adequate but will i regret buying a 32bit procesor.

Cheers, hope you can help

whoops, sorry, can i move it or not then, or do i have to wait for an admin

Wait for someone to do it.

On the subject of Dell though, we've had two laptops from them and have had no trouble at all. (One did get stolen, but that was my brother's fault, not the fault of Dell).

You will get folks telling you to build your own PC, and that's fair enough providing you have the time, skill and inclination.

In the mean time I have no complaints about Dell.

Yeah i wouldnt really worry about 64bit processors at the mo,what do you intend to use your pc for mainly.

Well i will use it for gaming and graphics packages such as adobe and CAD. and obvioulsly internet, i've been going on the idea of building my own PC, is it worth it and how cheap is windows XP?

Well i will use it for gaming and graphics packages such as adobe and CAD. and obvioulsly internet, i've been going on the idea of building my own PC, is it worth it and how cheap is windows XP?

It's well worth it building your own PC, it's a lot cheaper than getting it prebuilt. They're really easy to put together aswell, just a matter of putting things in where they fit.

You can get legit copies of XP on eBay for quite cheap, or other places do it cheaper. ;)

if you are desinging graphics these might benefit in the not too distant future from 64bit processing ,but i cant imagine CAD kills your system.and it is cheaper building a pc yourself(esecially in england) and it is nice to know that you are able to do it.lol

these other places you speak of moria could you Pm them to me plz,cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've built a few machines in the past few months, and I've used Athlon 64s in all of them. Great for futureproofing, and the Cool & Quiet feature keeps them nice and hushed.

One thing I will say is avoid the 64-bit version of Windows for now. 64-bit processors will easily handle any 32-bit software thrown at them, so just get a copy of XP Pro or something.

Never ever buy from Dell. They use cheap componants and their customer service isn't great either.

Your setup there seems good.

False. Their laptops are usually pretty decent and their TFTs are nothing but exceptional in my experience.

(I have 3 Dell TFTs on my desk).

I also recommended a friend get a Dell TFT and it came when it said it would and he's happy with it (2405fpw, 24" Widescreen).

False. Their laptops are usually pretty decent and their TFTs are nothing but exceptional in my experience.

(I have 3 Dell TFTs on my desk).

I also recommended a friend get a Dell TFT and it came when it said it would and he's happy with it (2405fpw, 24" Widescreen).

ah. the TFT bit is true. They make good monitors.

sooo.... errr.... i have decided not to get dell as they do not offer AMD 64 processers, so back to the question ab out compatibility, i know RAMS fussy so how would i know its compatible cos ebuyers site isnt very detailed about that.