NEurope
somme

Stargate TV Shows

It didn't work for Enterprise. The second to last episode was awesome. The last episode...the worst episode of Star Trek ever.

It's a shame that Atlantis is going to be over...and I'm slightly worried because the show likes doing big cliffhangers.

Well at least we know this seasons cliffhanger will be sorted out in the Atlantis movie. I just hope the movie has the return of people. Maybe Ford or Carter.

Well I found this quite shocking, thought it would go on for another year at least. This season has been pretty good so far as well.

Wahh~~

But if it means blu-ray Atlantis movies, that's fine by me :-p

I hope the Third Series will recapture the SG-1 magic that was lost over the last couple of years (luckily Continuum managed to recapture a lot of the classic feel, even if RDA didn't get to do much).

YOU COCKS! Atlantis ROCKS!

What will I do without my McKay fix? Seriously, every line Hewlett comes out with is either comedic or dramatic gold.

BASTARDS.

Stargate Universe on Fast Track for 2009 Launch

'Stargate' stays open at Sci Fi

Network puts 'Universe' spinoff on 2009 launchpad

Sci Fi Channel isn't about to let down "Stargate" fans.

The network is set to announce the order of a new series from MGM Television, "Stargate: Universe," that will mark the third entry in Sci Fi's longest-running original series franchise.

The green light comes on the heels of Sci Fi's confirming Thursday that "Stargate: Atlantis" will not receive a sixth-season order. The "Universe" pickup ensures the continuation of the popular "Stargate" franchise, which has been on the air in various incarnations since 1997.

"Universe" will premiere as a two-hour movie early next year and will assume a regular hourly slot in the summer. Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, co-creators of "Stargate: SG-1" and "Atlantis," will serve as executive producers and writers on the new series.

The new show will involve more space-based action than "SG-1" or "Atlantis." With the "Star Trek" television franchise having folded in 2005 and Sci Fi's "Battlestar Galactica" airing its final episodes next year, the network hopes "Universe" will become sci-fi fans' new favorite space-travel series.

"We've had great success with 'Enterprise' repeats on Monday night, and there's an appetite for space opera as 'Battlestar' goes away," Sci Fi president Dave Howe said. "There's an opportunity to keep the space opera as part of our programming strategy."

"Universe" introduces a team of explorers who find an ancient unmanned ship called the Destiny. Unable to return to Earth, the crew must fend for themselves aboard the ship, which has a preprogramd mission taking them to the far reaches of the universe.

The series will employ a new cast of characters, with the network seeking a known performer for one lead role and fresh faces to play the rest of the ship's crew. Appearances by former cast members from "SG-1" and "Atlantis" are very possible.

Howe said the new series will reinvigorate the franchise by targeting a younger audience.

"This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation," Howe said. "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe."

Said co-creators Wright and Cooper: "In 'Universe,' we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home. Above all, we believe the Stargate itself remains an enduring icon with infinite potential as a jumping-off point for telling stories."

Also on Thursday, Sci Fi announced an order for a two-hour "Atlantis" movie in lieu of a sixth-season order. Airing two-hour movies of such franchises as "Stargate" and "Galactica" and quickly releasing the films as stand-alone DVDs has been a successful strategy for the network. But the news depressed "Stargate" fans that the long-running sci-fi television franchise, like "Star Trek" a few years back, was going to be retired as a weekly series.

"SG-1" ran for 10 seasons, launching on Showtime in 1997 then moving to Sci Fi after its fifth season. The spinoff "Atlantis" premiered in 2004 and will mark its 100th episode this year. Friday night airings of "Atlantis" have averaged more than 2 million viewers per episode.

Sci Fi has not yet made a decision which new project might serve as a companion for "Universe" next summer. The network has three pilots under consideration, including the terrestrial-bound "Battlestar Galactica" prequel "Caprica."

Taken From Spoiler TV

With the sounds of what 'Universe' has to offer, it doesn't sound very good in my opinion, especially the "younger audience" bit.

To be honest i hope it's crap so they bring back Atlantis.

I believe "younger audience" just means Battlestar Galactica viewers. People who want gritty dark sci-fi.

Anyway:

Stargate Universe to film in February

The new third live-action series in the Stargate franchise is gearing up to begin production.

Stargate Universe will begin principle photography on February 4, 2009, according to a new report at My Entertainment World. The show will film at The Bridge Studios and on location in and around Vancouver, British Columbia.

That's all the details so far -- just the start date for filming. MGM and the SCI FI Channel have not yet announced the title of the pilot, who will direct it, and of course the cast of Stargate Universe remains unknown. Series co-creators Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper are writing the 2-hour premiere episode.

This fall, casting will take place for the series and the pilot episode, and the massive set for the Ancient vessel Destiny will be constructed at Bridge Studios. So far Universe is well ahead of Stargate Atlantis in its pre-production time table; for Atlantis, crew personnel were hurriedly building the main set well into the winter -- at the same time that the pilot, "Rising," was still being written.

Note that the purple chevron shown above is a bit of anticipatory guesswork on our part. Design details, including the look of the Stargate on the Destiny and the galaxies to which the ship will travel, are not yet known.

Robert Carlyle cast in Stargate Universe

carlyle01.jpg

Film actor Robert Carlyle will star as Dr. David Rush in the next Stargate television series, MGM and the SCI FI Channel announced today.

Stargate Universe is currently in pre-production, created by Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis producers Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper. The show begins filming in February and will premiere with a 2-hour event next summer.

A 20-year veteran of film and television, the 47-year-old actor hails from Glasgow, Scotland. He studied acting at the Glasgow Arts Centre and the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, and co-founded the Rain Dog theatre company in 1991, according to the Internet Movie Database. He is married with three children.

"We are very excited about having an actor of this caliber, around which we can build a strong, character-based series," Wright and Cooper told Entertainment Weekly. "Robert Carlyle will engage a broad audience and we hope to deliver a show that demonstrates to new viewers that the loyalty of longtime fans of the Stargate franchise has been well-deserved."

"We see SGU as an innovative step forward and an opportunity to expand the franchise."

"We couldn't be more excited to set Robert Carlyle for Stargate Universe," SCI FI Executive VP Mark Stern said. "He brings a depth, intelligence, and complexity to his roles, which will fit perfectly with the fresh, new reinvention of this franchise."

Among Carlyle's most notable films are "Trainspotting," "The Full Monty," "Eragon," and the horror flick "28 Weeks Later." He played Adolf Hitler in the TV biopic "Hitler: The Rise of Evil," and appeared in the Bond film "The World Is Not Enough." Most recently, he starred as Carl Benton opposite Kiefer Sutherland in the TV movie 24: Redemption.

Carlyle has been rumored to be in the running to take over the role of Doctor Who when fellow Scottish actor David Tennant departs that show next year.

universe_conceptart01.jpg

Stargate Universe is set on board the Destiny, a ship created by the Ancients millions of years ago which is following a pre-programmed course from one galaxy to the next.

While the studio is touting Carlyle as the "leading role" in the new series, the show's producers tell GateWorld that Universe will be a true ensemble show. It's not entirely clear just what role Dr. David Rush will play on board the Destiny. The character did not appear in the original casting calls, which led us to believe that the team that finds itself stranded on the Ancient ship would be led by military Colonel Everett Young.

Rush is not a replacement for Young, however, and may not even be the mission commander. More recent casting documents include an audition scene between the two men (which may or may not actually appear on screen), in which the two argue about who should be in command.

Based on new story details provided in today's press release, that's because the team has found itself on board the Destiny by accident:

Edgier and younger in tone than the two previous series, SGU follows a band of soldiers, scientists and civilians, who must fend for themselves as they are forced through a Stargate when their hidden base comes under attack. The desperate survivors emerge aboard an ancient ship missing in the far reaches of space. As they fight to survive, Dr. Rush (Carlyle) works to unlock the mysteries of the ship and return the group home, but evidence of his ulterior motives soon arises.

Everett Young is described in casting documents as the temporary commander of a secret off world base. It's purely speculation at this point, but Rush may have found a way to reach the Destiny (using the Stargate's ninth chevron, as previously revealed), only to be forced through the gate prematurely when the base comes under attack, with a group he never intended to take: Young and a team of young soldiers and civilians, refugees from the compromised base.

Additional casting is currently underway and we expect to hear more news in the coming days and weeks, as the series prepares to begin principal photography on February 4. At least six major roles have yet to be cast, including Colonel Young, Captain Tamara Jon, Chloe Carpenter, Eli Hitchcock, Lt. Jared Nash, and Ron "Psycho" Stasiak

All sounds quite interesting.

Robert Carlyle? that is frickin awesome.

I'm looking forward to the pilot of this to see what its like, hope they find a few ways of sneaking in guest appearances of some of the characters from the other shows.... Jack and Daniel especially, that would be awesome

I wasn't really looking forward to Universe, mainly due to the cast (I think Rodney's great) but for Robert Carlyle to be in it, it sounds good.

I think it does need a character from SG1 or Atlantis being made a main cast member in it. I think Atlantis benefitted from having McKay there straight away, it was a new show but the older fans still got that feeling of continuity and familiarity.

I think it does need a character from SG1 or Atlantis being made a main cast member in it. I think Atlantis benefitted from having McKay there straight away, it was a new show but the older fans still got that feeling of continuity and familiarity.

It's meant to be a pretty stand-alone series but apparently a familiar face turns up half way through the first season.

Saw a pre-air version of the Atlantis series finale, it was all right. Although I did guess what would happen when the pilot first aired.

Just finished watching the last ep of Stargate: Atlantis on Sky One... man can't believe it's over.

Least it was a better series finisher that SG-1 got, but of course SG-1's was meant to be just a regular season ended.... was this one written to actually end the show or just a season? Meh, either way I thought it was good.

Nice to see Carter make an appearance though I had hoped O'Neill would show up (and Jackson and Teal'c would have been awesome too...man i hate when shows end and you don't see people anymore).

Liked the little tribute to Don Davis when Carter said they named a new ship the General Hammond.

Went into utter shock when Ronon was killed, nearly teared up.... but then the Wraith brought him back.... was happy, but then thought damn if you're gonna kill someone just kill him... who is he, Jackson? :heh: haha

Seeing Atlantis being used as a war ship was cool... the space battle was short but decent.... would have been better if they made it a double episode to make it more epic, like like the double episode ending for SG-1 season 7 (The Lost City, parts 1 & 2).

And then Atlantis returns to Earth, awesome... though they should have landed it in the Atlantic Ocean, after all that is where legends say it was meant to be.

So they are working on films for Atlantis like they did with SG-1? When is the first expected... and while we're on it, when's the 3rd SG-1 film out? They did say 3 didn't they?

EDIT:

Oh yeah also it was mentioned in the show that the ship Odyssey is on some secret mission and out of reach.... wonder if this means Odyssey will have some part in the start of Stargate: Universe?

Seeing Atlantis being used as a war ship was cool... the space battle was short but decent.... would have been better if they made it a double episode to make it more epic, like like the double episode ending for SG-1 season 7 (The Lost City, parts 1 & 2).

It felt as though they were getting low on budget (it would have been so cool to see Atlantis cloak and then go SPLASH!), so a two-part episode may not have been possible.

So they are working on films for Atlantis like they did with SG-1? When is the first expected... and while we're on it, when's the 3rd SG-1 film out? They did say 3 didn't they?

Yup, there's going to be Atlantis film(s) and more SG-1 films.

Both the Atlantis and SG-1 films are being filmed this year so expect them end of this year, or early 2010.

So Gateworld has announced the casting of four further actors in Universe (other than Robert Carlysle);

Justin Louis is set to play Colonel Everett Young

Jamil Walker Smith is to play Sgt. Ronald Greer

David Blue is to play Dr. Eli Wallace

Brian J Smith to play Lt. Matthew Scott

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/01/justin-louis-jamil-walker-smith-join-stargate-universe/

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/01/david-blue-is-universes-eli-wallace/

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/01/brian-j-smith-cast-in-stargate-universe/

Kinda goes against the "Stargate: 90210" bullcrap people were guessing it to be

Universe is also being primed for a Fall/Autumn release

Good news (even though I don't know any of them). So by "younger" they meant "younger than how old the cast is now" rather than "younger than when the cast started".

Average age of the cast thus far is higher than the average age of the Stargate Atlantis.

Plus people forget Michael Shanks was in his mid-20s when he was cast in SG1

Looking good... anyword on any of the SG-1 or Atlantis crew making any cameos surely the first ep at least should have one or two of them at the start???

There was mention of an O'Neill in one of the later episodes, of course that most likely is RDA but theres been no confirmation yet.