N-Europe

The Musical Instrument Thread

Domo Kun

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that annoys me also. Honestly, if you get rid of the drums, you pretty much rid yourself of the most addictive part of the music to join in with and make the music sound crap.

Also applies to Bass too, you really do need it.

I have tried my hand and drumming, and come on, i have trouble on Donkey Konga =P (Only with fast tracks, im not that crap)

Just got rid of my Pearl Megadeth Export cos I never get to play it. Had fun playing when I was in bands and stuff but it's really hard to get into when you are by yourself. Wish I could play a not more now that I have more of an appreciation for Jazz, Swing, Blues and Soul.

Dude, that is fuckin shit, was it a Nick Menza sig? My Mustaine Esp Dv8-r is arriving this sunday :yay:.

Also, on the instrumentalist front, im Grade 8 (which I completed last March)

Pic of my recent setup (soon to change with arrival of new awesome guitar!!)

attachment.php?attachmentid=474&stc=1&d=1153225769

I learned all of the FF7 Boss theme today, the keyboard parts are immense! So much fun to play.

Yes, that annoys me also. Honestly, if you get rid of the drums, you pretty much rid yourself of the most addictive part of the music to join in with and make the music sound crap.

Also applies to Bass too, you really do need it.

I have tried my hand and drumming, and come on, i have trouble on Donkey Konga =P (Only with fast tracks, im not that crap)

I think it's good to have bass and drums, and guitars for that matter, in a band. However, some bands like to be individual and create their own material without a few of these.

For example, the White Stripes and the YeahYeahYeahs don't have a bassist, or bass in any of their songs. And, Keane don't have any guitars.

Yeh i may of taken the Bass too far, but people consider it a crap instrument.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I think the bass is a great instrument. I was just pointing out that a few bands choose not to have bassists. But, these are very much in the minority. The common idea is that you have at least a guitarist, bassist, drummer and a singer.

I never got you wrong, Dont worry mate.

All the experimenting bands you've named im fans of, espeacially Keane, i adore Under the iron sea, but i like their debut album more.

Hmm i should invest in an instrument..i would crack the Triangle joke, but its been cracked. Therefore, i shall get the electric triangle.

That's entirely the wrong attitude. There is no such thing as a crap instrument, (I mean types of instrument, not brands) because the all have different ranges/ textures, and they are all useful in different circumstances.

Also, believe me when I tell you that being a drummer is the most tiring job you can have (if you're a good drummer, like Dave Lombardo etc), that why you'll see the wind machine, or AC right behind the drummer (which is suppose, is also a bonus). You may be sitting down, but you're constantly using your legs.

Quite how anyone could just dismiss the bass is quite beyond me. Of course, not having a bass can work to stylize the music. Similarly, could you imagine Bob Dylan with drums? (Yes yes, I know, Like a Rolling Stone... but, his more folky stuff...)

Oh and nice one mergeing the threads :)

In my opinion being the drummer is the hardest part, sure you get to sit down, but you hold the rythm, if you cock up, the band cocks up.

Makes up for the fact that very few drummers are actually involved in songwriting.

Writing the music, ie instrument parts.

Hmmm, in that case, i'm not sure there's a definite answer for that then. From what i know, i'd say that drummers pull their weight when it comes to writing drum parts. It only makes sense for guitarists and bassists to write their own material, so why not drummers as well? Saying that, there's probably exceptions where one person might write parts for other instruments.

You may be at the back, but it's tough being a drummer. It's annoying when people don't refer to a drummer as a musician.

cue drummer jokes:

What do you call someone who hangs around musicians?

A drummer :laughing:

How can you tell when a drummer is knocking on your door?

He speeds up halfway through :laughing:

-

Anyway suppose I could contribute properly to this thread.

I'm a guitar player and having gotten big-time into Bob Dylan and other kind of folk music (as opposed to the heavy metal stuff I used to, and still do play) I got an acoustic guitar which is really cool. It's my first proper acoustic guitar.

I can also play a few things on the keyboard:

'fur elise'

'ballad of a thin man' - Dylan

'Times are a-changin'' - Dylan

Bond theme

'Denial twist' - white stripes

among other things I've picked up.

And on the songwriting discussion it would be ideal if bands worked together to write songs yet it wouldn't always work. e.g. would SOAD be as good if it wasn't just the guitarist writing the stuff.

Hmmm, in that case, i'm not sure there's a definite answer for that then. From what i know, i'd say that drummers pull their weight when it comes to writing drum parts. It only makes sense for guitarists and bassists to write their own material, so why not drummers as well? Saying that, there's probably exceptions where one person might write parts for other instruments.

This is where I disagree, a guitarist not only has to come up with his part, he has to create the whole concept of the song, usually the song is about done when the drum part is added, even then there will only be a few drum styles to fit that song.

I'd love to start playing guitar again but I always had problems when playing chords that at least one of my fingers wud always be touching the string below.

Does anyone have some tips on how to help solve this?

Get a drumkit, learn it.