N-Europe

Is this country (the UK) breeding idiots?

Guest Jordan

Guest Jordan

I was thinking about this earlier when i looked at peoples TV watching habbits.

5 Million people watched Big brother last Friday, 3 million watched Love Island. We have more people going to university on lower grades and people are generally getting less intelligent when it comes to Maths and English.

Our culture accepts people who are seen as "stupid", take Jade Guddy (sp?). The only reason she was so popular is because she was so stupid. Yet intelligent people are alienated? In other countries these people are quickly helped to increase their intellience. In the UK people who have pretty much no hope for themselves or anyone else get the most help. I agree that everyone should have a chance at life and an education but are thousands or even millions of pounds being wasted on people who really aren't gunna get anywhere because they can't be bothered?

Recently, what do your friends talk about? Within my crowd of 'normal' friends its generally what i consider to be absolute bullshit. Okay, so what i may think and talk about may also be boring but at least in my opinion it takes some brain power to talk about. People buy "Hello" and "OK" magazine and other toss in droves...

What are your views?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think exactly the same thing as you, I actually get picked on because I DON'T watch Big Brother. I also get picked on because I'm smarter than other kids, but thick people are friends with everyone. Unfair, but that's my life.

Watching Big Brother does not mean you are an idiot.

It's actually really good television. A bluddy clever concept, too. It's compelling to watch, and i know that others agree with this.

Hmmm, people getting into University with lower grades: Imo, is that such a bad thing? Should University ONLY be for rich people or people with rich families? Would our society be better that way? Absolutely not. It could be considered as equal opportunity. It's wrong to force someone down one career path because they didn't do so well in a test, life doesn't work like that. Some people are good at tests, and some are not. What does an A* at GCSE History prove? That this person is good at History tests. ;)

What do people talk about?: Obviously, that is vastly going to differ from person to person and area to area. For example, i was talking to my brother earlier about working and his day at work, then i was talking to my other brother about going to a wedding tomorrow.

Intelligence isn't the be all and end all of life. Actually, 'being intelligent' just means you have potential. Everybody has potential, it's just how they prefer to use that potential. You have to work at it. It's not enough to just be smart.

Whilst talking to my English lecturer in Uni, he was talking about how children are basically being taught to pass exams. This is wrong. Because of the need for statistics and to say that "A grades are on the up!" creativity is being sacrificed. You may disagree with this. But, think back to your school experience. When was the last time you did an activity in an English class just for fun, and for something that wasn't graded? We were all being taught to pass these tests and assessments.

I have to agree, this country is going to suffer in 10 or so years time, when a huge number of "idiots" start voting (they won't know who for or anything about the parties or politics); so then we could get stuck with a damaging government. Also our businesses will suffer with less smart people to run them and work for them.

Guest Jordan

It's actually really good television. A bluddy clever concept, too. It's compelling to watch, and i know that others agree with this.

Perhaps the first season, it was a smart psychology experiment. Now they throw in a bunch of social out casts and people just to start arugements.

Hmmm, people getting into University with lower grades: Imo, is that such a bad thing? Should University ONLY be for rich people or people with rich families? Would our society be better that way? Absolutely not. It could be considered as equal opportunity. It's wrong to force someone down one career path because they didn't do so well in a test, life doesn't work like that. Some people are good at tests, and some are not. What does an A* at GCSE History prove? That this person is good at History tests. ;)

What do people talk about?: Obviously, that is vastly going to differ from person to person and area to area. For example, i was talking to my brother earlier about working and his day at work, then i was talking to my other brother about going to a wedding tomorrow.

Now I remember why I married you.

Perhaps the first season, it was a smart psychology experiment. Now they throw in a bunch of social out casts and people just to start arugements.

Think about that. Throwing in a bunch of social out casts. A miss-match. Isn't that an amazing psychology experiment?! It really is.

Guest Jordan
Think about that. Throwing in a bunch of social out casts. A miss-match. Isn't that an amazing psychology experiment?! It really is.

And i'm sure Channel 4 really think that as they milk everyone £1.50 for their phone calls and text messages every night...

And i'm sure Channel 4 really think that as they milk everyone £1.50 for their phone calls and text messages every night...

They are cashing in on it, but it's not like you're being forced to vote. I haven't voted for a long time.

By the way, awesome thread. I love threads like these. :)

I cringe when i watch big brother, the things people do to get attention.

And im also teased a bit because im quite clever (for a 13 year old) even though im better than them at most sport anyway. Its a no win situation. I feel as one on this forum as people also see more sense in my music tastes instead of everybody following each other over gangsta rap, even though half the people dont actually like it, but do it to be cool. I dont want to be part of it, i like to be unique and all i get for it is piss. Too many idiots yes jordan, youre right

Come on, it was never meant to be a psychological experiment, that's what they told everyone it was, but all it was, like all TV programmes, was a way to get money.

Although my friends and I talk a lot shit irrelevant to everything else we do actually have a lot of decent conversations as well. I think it depends on where you live what the level of 'idiocy' is.

Guest Jordan
Im finding it so hard not to post some flames on this thread

*heavy breathing*

You're entitled to an opinion Flameboy, as long as you don't go over the top with it :)

Guest Ford Prefect

big brother and other "reality tv" shows should be made as "population filters"

seeing as only raving fucking looneys, twats and chavs ever try to sign up. should send them all, the ones that make it onto the show, the ones that don't. alll of them to a camp in siberia, soviet gulag style. where we work them to death. would rid the country of alot of shit and increase living space for the rest.

Well I can't really say anything about the UK people being Idiots because I don't really know them... But in Alaska people seem to be getting smarter but in different areas.

To state the obvious people are getting better with Technology, and it seems like Jordan said not as smart in Math and English as people were a couple generations ago, or something like that. My friends that I hang out with now are starting to know more and more about Technology. Some I can say the same thing is for their academic level in school as well, but for most I can't.

I've never watched Big Brother so I can't argue with anyone about that.

big brother and other "reality tv" shows should be made as "population filters"

seeing as only raving fucking looneys, twats and chavs ever try to sign up. should send them all, the ones that make it onto the show, the ones that don't. alll of them to a camp in siberia, soviet gulag style. where we work them to death. would rid the country of alot of shit and increase living space for the rest.

id vote for you as prime minister

Although I find these threads interesting and fun, I've noticed people often, in a subtle manner, try to claim a sense of importance by declaring some form of superiority. An elitist circle jerk, if you will.

Intelligent or idiotic, I don't really care. As long as they're not doing anyone any harm. And no, there's no epidemic of stupidity sweeping the country that will leave us in ruins. We're doing just fine.

Guest Ford Prefect
id vote for you as prime minister

i get alot of people saying that........

my left wing slightly authorotarian ideas must have a great appeal.

Guest Jordan
Although I find these threads interesting and fun, I've noticed people often, in a subtle manner, try to claim a sense of importance by declaring some form of superiority. An elitist circle jerk, if you will.

Sorry if i sounded that way, I didn't mean to come across like that.

I don't think of myself as 'smart' at all. Infact i often think i'm kinda stupid.

I was thinking about this earlier when i looked at peoples TV watching habbits.

5 Million people watched Big brother last Friday, 3 million watched Love Island. We have more people going to university on lower grades and people are generally getting less intelligent when it comes to Maths and English.

Our culture accepts people who are seen as "stupid", take Jade Guddy (sp?). The only reason she was so popular is because she was so stupid. Yet intelligent people are alienated? In other countries these people are quickly helped to increase their intellience. In the UK people who have pretty much no hope for themselves or anyone else get the most help. I agree that everyone should have a chance at life and an education but are thousands or even millions of pounds being wasted on people who really aren't gunna get anywhere because they can't be bothered?

Recently, what do your friends talk about? Within my crowd of 'normal' friends its generally what i consider to be absolute bullshit. Okay, so what i may think and talk about may also be boring but at least in my opinion it takes some brain power to talk about. People buy "Hello" and "OK" magazine and other toss in droves...

What are your views?

I said i would ghost this thread, i lied. Its opinion time!

I think its abit unfair sterotyping all people who watch Big Brother and Love island as idiots, i know that i catch the odd episode of Big Brother, hell i could probs say all there name on the show, however watching it doesnt make me an idiot.

What i beleive is the problem is Brittans culture toward smarter people, as a young kid i knew smarter people as "geeks" or "nerds". Whenever you see a smart person on childrens televison they are the usual high trouser people with glasses, typical geek. This creates a impression from a small age of smart people as aleinated loners.

Oh and i too HATE Jade Guddy.

Intelligent or idiotic, I don't really care. As long as they're not doing anyone any harm. And no, there's no epidemic of stupidity sweeping the country that will leave us in ruins. We're doing just fine.

were you referring to me when i said something like ' im teased becuase im clever (for a thirteen year old) even though im better than them at most sports'

sorry if i come across cocky

apparently UK/england is ranked 20th out of 25 main countries in Europe for standard of education (very bad seeing as we're probably the wealthiest out of the lot)

btw this was told to me by my french teacher who said 'however France comes second' -i hate him! basically an insult if you ask me