N-Europe

RTS genre perfect for wii

mcj metroid

I aslo said this about the ds beofre it launched and still it hasnt had one so i really hope this time it will be used.

it would work great.the d pad could be used to scroll along the map and u could hold down the back button to draw your square or what not?

what do u think?

While many fans have claimed the Wii is the best console for the RTS genre, I read an interview with somebody (I don't remember who, but they made RTS games) who said that the lack of HD is a large drawback for RTS games as they need to display a lot of small units and information at the same time. On the other hand, a console capable of displaying HD does you no good if you don't own an HDTV.

The lack of pixels (and that means severe lack of detail) is one problem, but another is that the Wii controller isn't extremely precise. It should be fixable with Wii optimisation and a bit of auto aiming though.

The lack of pixels (and that means severe lack of detail) is one problem, but another is that the Wii controller isn't extremely precise. It should be fixable with Wii optimisation and a bit of auto aiming though.

I don't know about the precision, but I don't think it'll be problem. Elebits works fine and it requires more or less the same type of control.

You dont need HD to run RTS, my pc isnt HD and RTS is awesome.

Well if your PC monitor has a higher resolution than 640*480 (and I'm sure it has) it can be considered almost HD.

But what is with the old CnCs, they also ran in 640*480 (mind the N64 version) and you could make out everything. They only have to concentrate on tactics over a massive amount of units.

Still I think we won't see many RTS for Wii, there aren't a lot for the DS and that is most suitable as the touchscreen can mimick a mouse but with AoE and Settlers 2 on the way we can hope there'll be more for both systems :yay:

RTS games require extreme speed and precision. While Wiimote could offer that, I doubt regular user would feel comfortable pointing at specific pixel from 3 meters distance.

Old PCs maybe had 640x480 (Dune2 had 320x200 mind you) but we actually sat 30cm away and had a steady mouse cursor. At 3m distance with Wiimote in shaky hands? I don't think so.

RTS games require extreme speed and precision. While Wiimote could offer that, I doubt regular user would feel comfortable pointing at specific pixel from 3 meters distance.

Old PCs maybe had 640x480 (Dune2 had 320x200 mind you) but we actually sat 30cm away and had a steady mouse cursor. At 3m distance with Wiimote in shaky hands? I don't think so.

That's true, but I doubt it can't be handled. Make the game a little more zoomed in compensate for a little shaking (all the games do this) and voila.

Guest Stefkov

I'd love for AOE to come out on the Wii, or even C&C, online, i know they already are, but they would be pretty damn cool imo.

Well, the Wii-mote can be detected by forward, backwards, and up down movements, right? As well as left or right.

So, why not use the Wii-mote like a mouse. Here's my idea:

Lay the Wii-mote on a flat surface. Now, if you hold the Wii-mote like you would hold a mouse, you will notice that you can access the A button very easily. Now, imagine playing an RTS like this. Dragging, with the Wii-mote on your lap.

Just my idea. :)

HD could help, but its not necessary. I enjoyed RTS in 640*480, though I will very openly admit enjoying it more in Higher resolutions.

I think Nintendo were right about HD though, only about now are HDTV's viable replacements for everyone. I think SD support will still be needed in Europe for a few years after the Wii 2 gen consoles are released, and 360/ps3 will push the HD standard, much like XBOX (lesser extent PS2) pushed online.

Guest Stefkov
Well, the Wii-mote can be detected by forward, backwards, and up down movements, right? As well as left or right.

Lay the Wii-mote on a flat surface. Now, if you hold the Wii-mote like you would hold a mouse, you will notice that you can access the A button very easily. Now, imagine playing an RTS like this. Dragging, with the Wii-mote on your lap.

I really like that idea. you wouldnt really have access to the B button though, but youve got more that enough buttons on the top of the controller.

Would only do it on my lap though, underside doesnt look like it has any rubber feet so it would get scratched a bit maybe. That if you did it on a table, which woudl be wiser, as it more sturdier than your leg, also more flatter

:shock: I'l buy your idea.

Maybe they could incorporate some kind of smoothing (like mouse smoothing on the PC), although the pointer wouldn't be as fast or responsive then. I am a little worried about using the controller to control a cursor, on the E3 vid of monkey ball where a cursor is used to select the mode it looked like Michael J Fox was playing it.

thats not a bad idea actually but it should be an extra option.Id bet the wii mote will be used as a mouse during opera so why not during an rts.Ok its a bit big and lanky at the moment but its possible.

Having to use it on a flat surface isn't very pratical, but I doubt they can't adjust for the hand shaking.

I agree, point and clicking would most likely be very easy as long as the Wii-mote isn't too sensitive so it does not pick up the tiny vibrations that your hands make, precision must be quite important in a RTS so you don't cock up on what you're trying to select or where you're trying to send your troops to.